NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (ATL/KC/QC/HFD added, Series Complete!)

vtgco

On 1/20/2022 at 1:40 PM, Kevin W. said:

Well, my concern wasn't just about the color. It was the combination of the color (white base with teal-dominant striping) and the fact that it has angular striping. Those two together automatically invite comparisons to that Anaheim jersey.

I see; I had assumed you were talking about the Wild Wing jersey! The waves on this Sharks concept are supposed to go across the sleeves horizontally, and aren't supposed to be diagonal stripes like the Ducks' original primaries, but I can see how it might read otherwise...

Does this slight rotation of the sleeve striping help at all? (Original shown below for comparison purposes)

QjSJjCX.png

bPaGyZV.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Toronto, I couldn't compete with @sparkychewbarky's futuristic Leafs concept, so something simpler will have to do!

yjkbkti.png

This one was another years-old idea that made its way into this series. The Toronto flag is great, so it gets more time to shine, along with the return of red accents! (Hopefully in the right amount!)

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (TOR added)
14 hours ago, element7ero said:

fun idea, well executed!

There's some I'd consider buying even though not being a fan of the team.

My favorites so far:

Arizona Coyotes (Monument Valley)

Chicago Black Haws (Colorful version)

San Jose (Yellow/Teal)

That's some high praise! Personally, I can't bring myself to wear any non-Seattle teams' gear (bar a long-defunct baseball team cap)

Definitely proud of those ones, so thank you for the comment.

Before I round off the last two teams in the league, I'm going back a bit with a couple of major updates!

Here's one based on @TheHealthiestScratch's suggestion of "doing the outline of Texas in a similar beveled style," an alternate version of the Stars:

BDgq3KV.png

Can't decide if it's necessarily better or worse than the Star version, so it's not really a replacement, but either way I think it's fun!

My Kings crown jersey felt a bit too plain, so I added some gems to glitz it up for Hollywood, and put it inside a zig-zag chest stripe to emulate the Los Angeles city flag.

ComaKX2.png

fHZSgFk.png

Which color scheme is better?

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (DALv2 & LAv2 added)
On 1/23/2022 at 5:16 AM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The two colour version gets my vote. Would like to see a version with the colours reversed.

Also, something for the Canucks in Maroon and Cream could be cool.

I assume by "two color version," you meant the (purple + 2 colors) and not (purple + yellow = 2 colors) ?

Is this what you meant?

Q8Q3bjJ.png

This version feels a bit Colorado Rockies / mountainy for my taste, but it still works...

Maroon & cream is a good idea; I'll have to try an alternate concept for Vancouver with that :)

I was getting unhappy with the flag-themed Panthers designs, so here's something totally different for them:

DDj095v.png

I just ripped the palm tree from their sun + palm + stick logo, and put it on top of a team-colored sunset! I've never been to Florida, but I imagine this is an accurate rendition :P

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (FLv3 added)
1 hour ago, vtgco said:

I was getting unhappy with the flag-themed Panthers designs, so here's something totally different for them:

DDj095v.png

I just ripped the palm tree from their sun + palm + stick logo, and put it on top of a team-colored sunset! I've never been to Florida, but I imagine this is an accurate rendition :P

Ooooh that might be the best one yet. Gives me Blackhawks barber pole vibes while being quintessentially Florida. 

Some of the recent designs here have kinda missed for me (the LA one seems a bit too cluttered, for instance, and the bevels on the Stars seem like too much personally) but this one is a pure hit.

15 hours ago, vtgco said:

I assume by "two color version," you meant the (purple + 2 colors) and not (purple + yellow = 2 colors) ?

Is this what you meant?

I meant just purple and yellow, and reverse those two colours. Though I do like the silver, purple and yellow and the silver above version.

The Florida Panthers palm tree outfit looks boss.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:47 AM, vtgco said:

For Toronto, I couldn't compete with @sparkychewbarky's futuristic Leafs concept, so something simpler will have to do!

yjkbkti.png

This one was another years-old idea that made its way into this series. The Toronto flag is great, so it gets more time to shine, along with the return of red accents! (Hopefully in the right amount!)

Thanks for the mention, v...

Though, your T.O. sweater is a much nicer and unique option for the Leafs.

(I had just tweaked and re-coloured an old Team Canada concept of mine).

The Toronto flag design would make a great "special event" sweater to add to the Leafs' collection.

I like how you've worked the bold horizontal lines of the "T" into the body and arm striping. 👍👍

I often thought that the next trend in sweaters might be exactly what you're showing in this thread...

full-body-logo sweaters, in the style of the Canucks V, Team Canada '72 flag sweaters, and Dallas Stars' beautiful Modano-era Star jerseys.

Great thread!! Love the "outside-the-box" design and execution. Keep it coming!

On 1/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, Edubdesign said:

Ooooh that might be the best one yet. Gives me Blackhawks barber pole vibes while being quintessentially Florida. 

Some of the recent designs here have kinda missed for me (the LA one seems a bit too cluttered, for instance, and the bevels on the Stars seem like too much personally) but this one is a pure hit.

Yeah I feel much better about this latest Panthers idea; I was definitely thinking about barberpole when doing the sunset design!

I can understand what you're talking about about the other updates maybe being kinda cluttered...

Maybe a single stripe of beveling (closer to the Stars' Texas + D logo) would be better?

IWgvx3G.png

As for the Kings, I feel pretty good about the front of the latest jersey, but I had a hard time with the back being too cluttered... Does having just a straight line chest stripe help at all?

p3tWXkW.png

11 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

I meant just purple and yellow, and reverse those two colours. Though I do like the silver, purple and yellow and the silver above version.

The Florida Panthers palm tree outfit looks boss.

Gotcha:

VxY2p13.png

Thanks for the kind words about the Panthers one.

6 hours ago, sparkychewbarky said:

Thanks for the mention, v...

Though, your T.O. sweater is a much nicer and unique option for the Leafs.

(I had just tweaked and re-coloured an old Team Canada concept of mine).

The Toronto flag design would make a great "special event" sweater to add to the Leafs' collection.

I like how you've worked the bold horizontal lines of the "T" into the body and arm striping. 👍👍

I often thought that the next trend in sweaters might be exactly what you're showing in this thread...

full-body-logo sweaters, in the style of the Canucks V, Team Canada '72 flag sweaters, and Dallas Stars' beautiful Modano-era Star jerseys.

Great thread!! Love the "outside-the-box" design and execution. Keep it coming!

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the series, and I'm glad my Toronto jersey gets a stamp of approval! It seems, to some small extent, your prediction is right, since those Stadium Series jerseys are certainly trending in that direction. 

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (VAN added)

A genuinely original concept for a re-design series. Amazing! I kind of get soccer team kit vibes from the designs. 

Something about the whitespace on the Vancouver concept I'm not totally feeling but a solid design nonetheless. 

22 hours ago, Corvus said:

A genuinely original concept for a re-design series. Amazing! I kind of get soccer team kit vibes from the designs. 

Something about the whitespace on the Vancouver concept I'm not totally feeling but a solid design nonetheless. 

Thank you! I guess it's obvious that I'm a bigger soccer fan than hockey fan; hopefully it doesn't feel too beyond the limits of the sport, though :P

I thought the old-timey, horizontal '70s hockey stick would look nicer in this context... But the modernized one takes up more of the whitespace; is it any better? I also raised up the hem striping a little bit.

JmfZnNc.png

On 1/27/2022 at 9:24 AM, jbird669 said:

This whole series is just amazing. 

Thank you! Got a couple more left; hope they remain as good.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, ChunkyDesigns said:

Love the stripe pattern for the Canucks and how simple and clean this jersey is, yet fulfilling the whole point of the concept really well

Glad you feel that way; simultaneously clean yet unorthodox is the vibe I'm aiming for! I'm proud of this Canucks one : )

And for the Capitals, a mix of the striping from the '90s blue jerseys and the Capitol Building logo from the '90s black jerseys, all in the modern color scheme:

e296r7q.png

• vtgco changed the title to NHL Flying V / Turn Ahead the Clock Series (DC added)
On 12/31/2021 at 10:18 PM, vtgco said:

Happy New Year, folks!

Glad the state map version gets a local's seal of approval!

Here's my take that tail idea of yours:

nt91yZG.png

So we have an asymmetrical hem stripe on the back for the tail, but I couldn't quite get it take up enough of the front, so I brought in another pointy Satanic prop, a pitchfork!

Nice! I would just skip the tail and eliminate that right shoulder stripe. 

Archived