Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

It’s still technically the 2021 season...

From the always reliable Twitter-verse...

Some guy knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows for certain the new name for Washington will in fact be “Red Wolves” and the team is writing a check to Arkansas State for use of the name

Also, some close friends of mine attended the game yesterday and said that the team was giving super vague hints about a “big announcement” coming on the 30th anniversary (January 26th) of their 1992 Super Bowl win.

spacer.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

It’s still technically the 2021 season...

From the always reliable Twitter-verse...

Some guy knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows for certain the new name for Washington will in fact be “Red Wolves” and the team is writing a check to Arkansas State for use of the name

I've also been hearing these rumors too. Furthermore, Washington has been hinting at this since June. It could all be a ruse to disguise their real chosen name, but who knows.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I mean, I guess...yeah, whatever. But is there a particular reason they wouldn't go with the one-word version versus two? And I get why they'd keep the "Red" if they are, but if there's fire to this smoke, what would've been wrong with simply going with "Wolves"--or would they feel that name "ain't enough"?

(Off to the side: would the Minnesota Basketball Team have any legitimate [read: legal] beef with should WTF go ahead with the new rumored name?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Was just about to post that - surprised they showed so much of the jerseys.  Do I see black trim on the white jersey????

Also, looking at that Red Wolves logo, we dodged a bullet.  

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can't figure out how to post a tweet that's part of a thread without posting the parent, so sorry for the redundant post.  But the second one links to an article about how any variation of Wolves won't be the name.

EDIT: They specifically say Wolves or a variation like Redwolves (one name) but they didn't say anything about a modified name like Red Wolves (two words).  It would be stupid of them to say it's not Redwolves but then go with Red Wolves, but they kinda left the door open (Though based on the stars on the jersey, I think it's Commanders.)

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, flyersfan said:

"one of the main helmets"

oh dear god...

Yeah. I definitely saw a black helmet with a black facemask, and the red helmet looked to have an asymmetrical stripe (half yellow, half white). This uniform is gonna be ruined by helmets.

That said, the red jersey looked nice from what they showed. I liked the sleeve stripe, and yellow numbers with white outlines. The jersey looks like a classic jersey from what they showed.

• Like 2

at the 6:38 mark in that video, there's a transition using a styled W. Could be nothing, could be something.

Numbers seem to look like a digital & Bears hybrid, college-esque. Looks like thin w/ no serifs, but sharp and tall.

"We will launch"

3 stars inside the jersey, either military-related or their 3 super bowl wins.

RedTails logo concept was also teased early in the video during the redwolves part. 

• Like 3

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Really not liking the perforations in the numbers.  I hope that's not part of some new "ultra light" template.  

Bracing for the Nikespeak on this project.  "each of the mesh perforations represents one of the names that our fans, the best fans in the world, submitted to us as suggestions".

• Like 6

What I'm seeing in the uniform part:

Burgundy jersey w/ yellow numbers and white outline. Collar is all burgundy. Names are yellow. Sleeve stripes are 

Three stars inside the collar

Burgundy pants

White jersey has a gradient-effect on  the sleeve w/ a solid burgundy next to small burgundy squares right below it, burgundy name

Numbers have a gradient effect, where the burgundy is solid in the middle, with larger white squares towards the top & bottom. Black outline

Helmet 1 looks like a Satin burgundy with formidable yellow logos on the side and a single yellow stripe. Yellow mask. Not a two-tone stripe, its just lighting.

Helmet 2 looks like it's all black. the logo has a yellow base with a thin burgundy outline. 

I'm getting nervous, this has the makings of new gimmick set rather than a traditional classic (Which is a shame because the WFT team has had a steady classic look)

• Like 6

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

That W that was shown transitioning might be their new logo, but I can't make anything of it. I do remember them saying the name will be something that ties into D.C.. Given the three stars on the back, I'm guessing it will be something American/Militaristic/Patriotic, though that leaves me to believe it will be one of those names from their "list".

I hope they aren't the Commanders, Defenders, or Armada.

• Like 1

Assuming the three stars are the 'hanger effect', then it looks like the logo is going above the NOB and is circle shaped.  Roundel perhaps?  More of a clue that it's 'Commanders'?

• Like 2

Red Wolves would have been terrible, so glad that's out.

Getting some Manziel-era Browns vibes from those teaser images.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Assuming the three stars are the 'hanger effect', then it looks like the logo is going above the NOB and is circle shaped.  Roundel perhaps?  More of a clue that it's 'Commanders'?

But commander isn’t a 3 star rank. It’s either a silver oak leaf or a star with 3 bold lines