Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

18 minutes ago, tBBP said:

From what I'm seeing, this has all the makings of "piecemeal for piecemeal's sake". That said, until we know for sure how involved the Nike creative team was in this, I'll hold judgment on this.

If that 17 is indicative of the rest of the number font, then they already deserve props for not going the unnecessary serifs/opposing corners/hackneyed chopjob route, a la Tennessee. (And speaking of Tennessee, yeah, um, about those three stars on the inside collar there, Washington...yyyeeeeaahh, about that 🤔) I too see some kind of patterned gradient fade on both the white jerseys and the numbers on those jerseys, which leaves me really curious. (I hope they're not trying to pull a SF Giants City Connect jibe with those road jerseys.) And, again, with the road jersey numbers being outlined in black...why? (But then why add black period to an already good colorway? Sales, I guess.) I want to see the pants and socks, which I guess we all will when WTF breaks the internet--and these forums--on 2/2/22. (You think they planned that day on purpose??)

I've seen some of those concept logos before--I know the.guy who made one of them, the one that looked like a W in a shield shape. The Redtsils concept logo in the shield shape was an interesting take; it looked more like a soccer crest than a football logo, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. But, those helmets...no way around a facepalm on that one. And "one of...the main helmets?" How many helmets they got...three? Sixteen? Guess we'll see.

And as for the potentially leaked name...I that's it, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. That's about the only military-themed nickname that could work with the three stars and actually be half-accurate...the three-star rank is Vice Admiral, and being that the Navy Yard is right there in DC, I'm sure that'd have been their inspiration.  If that's indeed it, I wouldn't mind it; in fact, I already kinda like the idea of it.

Well...there ya go.

Ironically, I was just getting ready to comment here and make fun of everyone for saying the three stars meant anything but the DC Flag. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I think its the current W, just in outline form. the top right serif looks to be the same. But you could be right, and the new logo features that W

Overlaying the two in photoshop shows that they are different Ws. New W is more condensed, and the right serif is lower and parallel to the interior leg of the W.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shumway said:

At least the leak isn't sewage water from their trash stadium his time.

Admirals is naval... which has to do with water... so I can see logo involving a ship riding over a sea of sewage. Or just recolor the Toronto Argonauts logo.

Admirals is a fine name, but burgundy and yellow don't strike me as nautical themed colors.

• Like 5

I saw, I came, I left.

I think it would have been cool had they gone from "Washington" to "DC." "DC Admirals," for example, sounds better than "Washington Admirals." And for the people who are confused by Washington, DC and Seattle, WA (like me as a kid), switching to DC would help a lot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think it's going to be Warriors, and they'll do a stacked WW ala the WWE, only fatter.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Took the time to draw out a *very* rough estimate of what we're seeing... Pants are speculative, and the helmet W is a placeholder for the logo, but colors are predicted/seen. Also no clue on yellow stripe for black helmet...

fysOkPw.png51MUccM.png

• Like 11

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

50 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Well...there ya go.

Ironically, I was just getting ready to comment here and make fun of everyone for saying the three stars meant anything but the DC Flag. 

Oh I'm sure, as are we all, the DC flag is the primary inspiration for the three stars...but there is ample opportunity to pull a double entendre on them if they do (did?) it right.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

Didn’t they say it wasn’t gonna be Warriors very early in the process?

Hell I dunno.  I merely am interpreting the "fight" from their promo video. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32991672/the-washington-football-team-plans-announce-new-name-feb-2-not-fan-favorite

The team announced Tuesday that it will reveal its new name on Feb. 2, 11 days before the Super Bowl. During a podcast in September with ESPN's Adam Schefter, WFT co-CEO Tanya Snyder confirmed that the final eight candidates were Armada, Presidents, Brigade, Redhawks, Commanders, RedWolves, Defenders and Football Team.

• Like 3

Their hints of the phrases in the teasers:

-hail to the greats that laid the foundation for our legacy

-hail to the fans we consider family

-we are and always have been Washington

-we'll fight for our community

-and together we will define our future

-we will launch

The Launch part feels significant, but idk what name that could refer to.

• Like 4

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

6 minutes ago, NashConcepts said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32991672/the-washington-football-team-plans-announce-new-name-feb-2-not-fan-favorite

The team announced Tuesday that it will reveal its new name on Feb. 2, 11 days before the Super Bowl. During a podcast in September with ESPN's Adam Schefter, WFT co-CEO Tanya Snyder confirmed that the final eight candidates were Armada, Presidents, Brigade, Redhawks, Commanders, RedWolves, Defenders and Football Team.

Yikes. For all of that, please just keep WFT.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags