Redwolves will NOT be the new name due to legal hurdles

plus, we get a glimpse at the new uniforms

Well, shoot.

17 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

I am personally rooting for the Red Wolves to be the new nickname

• Like 1

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

Sorry if I missed this, but are we getting the entire reveal on February 2 (name, logos, full uniforms) or just the name and logos? It seems a lot of times, teams like to double dip their marketing events and do a logo reveal and then a uniform reveal at a later date.

27 minutes ago, tBBP said:

b5y4QFr.jpeg

W7LaTDU.jpeg

Not your typical NFL logo at all--its more of a soccer-style badge--but I really like it for what it is. It seems they really worked this Redtails direction pretty far into it--and I'm guessing the R was inspired in part by the alternate R logo Joe Gibbs used to wear on his hat so often. I believe had they gone this route, I'm pretty sure the big R would've gone on the helmet, while thie shield would have been a patch on the jersey. But the double solid yellow stripes plays off the DC flag very well.

Man, I really like that first Red Tails logo. A bit too busy/detailed for the NFL. But I still really like it. Of course, the fact that we see it means they're not using it -- and they're probably not using the name.

Either way, I doubt WFT goes with a badge/shield, given that their market competition just up I-95 has one of the few badge logos in the NFL as well.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

Did some deep watching of the helmet video. I think there are multiple helmet options:

• the burgundy with yellow facemask clearly shown
  • burgundy facemask seen at :09 seconds
  • black helmet with black facemask, with what appears to be a number on one side (definitely not the W)

The helmet handed to Rivera does not have a yellow mask – either gray, burgundy, or black. The blur of the burgundy helmet shows a singular yellow stripe, not two-tone.

A couple guess: they have not finalized helmet design, they will mix and match shells and masks, or there are some smoke screens involved.

I'm really hoping that they are just throwing some smoke screens at us, but I honestly question if they are smart enough to pull if off?  They bungle everything they touch.

Being a fan of this franchise, the single thing we had going for us was solid looking unis.  Now, that seemingly will be going out the window.

• Like 6

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

6 minutes ago, keynote said:

It's very interesting that they explicitly ruled out Red Wolves. That one must have tested extremely well. Otherwise, why even acknowledge the interest and legal hurdles at all?

They mentioned it because of how popular the name was among most, but not all, fans. Literally the only reason.

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

The burgundy jersey looks fine, although a definite departure from previous branding for Washington. The white jersey, though, looks like it could very well be disastrous. Whatever those gradient squares are, I don’t wanna know. The inclusion of black doesn’t look promising, either. 

I’m holding out hope that the name will end up being Redtails, I like that better than any of the options that seem to be finalists. They showed a lot of concept art with that name; that seems to suggest that it made it at least close to the final stages. Something hog related such as Pigskins or Warthogs would be unique, too.

Overall, I’m anticipating that I’m going to prefer nearly everything about their current “Football Team” identity over what they’re about to “launch.” As others have said, slap the current W logo on the helmet and bring some helmet stripes back, and they’ve already got a pretty nice uniform. No need to reinvent the wheel here, even though it seems like they’re going to try to do just that.

• Like 6

Considering they lean heavily into the aspect of honoring the team, why not combine elements of uniforms past into one cohesive identity? Or was that just too difficult of an idea to comprehend? So what better way to say “we love this franchise and it’s fans” more than a completely new uniform built from zero.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the burgundy jersey as I’ve stated before, but the white uniform and mind-boggling decision to include a ridiculously out of nowhere black helmet really irks me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Still think there's a shot that the "new" name is Washington Football Team.  That is what I'm holding out hope for at this point. 

Circling back on this, just spit-balling here...

Look at the letter on the name plate.  It definitely isn't an S or N.  I think it could be an a M.  And I think the nameplate may have the team name, FOOTBALL TEAM (or just TEAM, whatever.  Admittedly a little ridiculous to see either on a jersey, but work with me here.)

FIQzwAjXwAAYScg?format=png&name=900x900

;

There's precedent for using the team name on the back of the jersey in an unveiling: The Rams did it.  The Browns did it. The Falcons did it.   

Hardly conclusive evidence, but something to think about.  WFT's whole bit this year has been "Making the Brand", I think that could just end up being new uniforms and logos to go with the existing name.  

EDIT:

Disregard.  I think it's an N.  Could be Washington or McLaurin... Somehow the image is flipped in the collage above that I got from Twitter.  This is the correct orientation from the video:

IMG_1437-750x422.jpeg

• Like 2

90758391980.gif

2 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Look at the letter on the name plate.  It definitely isn't an S or N.  I think it could be an a M.  And I think the nameplate may have the team name, FOOTBALL TEAM (or just TEAM, whatever.  Admittedly a little ridiculous to see either on a jersey, but work with me here.)

;

There's precedent for using the team name on the back of the jersey in an unveiling: The Rams did it.  The Browns did it. The Falcons did it.   

Hardly conclusive evidence, but something to think about.  WFT's whole bit this year has been "Making the Brand", I think that could just end up being new uniforms and logos to go with the existing name.  

Are we sure that’s not an upside down “W”? I promise I’m not trying to stir the pot here or be contrarian, but I honestly can’t quite tell for certain if the jersey in the picture you’re referring to is rightside up or upside down. If it is upside down, that could be saying “WASHINGTON”. 

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, kutztown said:

Can't help but feel like the logo is going to be some kind of W+A vector of some sort.  Poor example, but maybe something along these lines from a design standpoiunt: 

spacer.png

Don't hate the burgundy look, but the white ones are a head scratcher.  The black helmet is probably just the throwback leather helmet with poor lighting, especially since they keep referencing their history.  IMO, They should have just thrown the WFT "W" on the helmet with their old helmet stripes, kept that new wordmark and called it a day.   They could have just gone by the Pigskins.  Could still do the song with updated lyrics, could still call themselves the Skins, similar name/syllables to the old moniker, and it connects to both the Hogs, their history and the sport itself. 

Make no mistake though, I'm 100% expecting little annoying intricacies that will bother us uni-nerds until the end of time.  

Freeze frame of the helmet's reflect from someone on Twitter. Looks 

spacer.png

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Are we sure that’s not an upside down “W”? I promise I’m not trying to stir the pot here or be contrarian, but I honestly can’t quite tell for certain if the jersey in the picture you’re referring to is rightside up or upside down. If it is upside down, that could be saying “WASHINGTON”. 

I assumed that was the back of the jersey and the space where a player's last name would go. 

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

;

Or...The nameplate pic is upside down (which would make sense given the perspective of the stripes) and the first letter is a W. 

Edit: FinsUp beat me to it...I rotated the nameplate picture 45 or 90 degrees counter-clockwise and it's definitely a W and the sleeve strips look normal. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Looking at the logo on their Twitter announcement--or as much of it as is there--I kinda had the same thought. If true, that would definitely lend itself to the name Armada. I don't know what else an implied "A" could be for, if that's they way they went.

Now, pivoting off the speculation angle for a bit, here's some screen grabs I got from the video:

VBJhxey.jpeg

Let us all be very glad we're not getting this.

DpHwCDh.jpeg

I've seen this before. I'm also pretty sure I know who created this. But the fact that it's so blurred out leads me to believe this is either a potential finalist or an alternate logo.

b5y4QFr.jpeg

W7LaTDU.jpeg

Not your typical NFL logo at all--its more of a soccer-style badge--but I really like it for what it is. It seems they really worked this Redtails direction pretty far into it--and I'm guessing the R was inspired in part by the alternate R logo Joe Gibbs used to wear on his hat so often. I believe had they gone this route, I'm pretty sure the big R would've gone on the helmet, while thie shield would have been a patch on the jersey. But the double solid yellow stripes plays off the DC flag very well. 

And finally...

BQLEkw4.jpeg

Look all the way over there to the right. They were also working a literal bird angle, as well.

The blurred image in your post is this one, from the August video where they show some mock-ups to fans:

spacer.png

I like it and hope they use it as an alternate, because it does not appear to be the helmet logo shown in the reflection of this picture of Riverboat Ron:

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tron1013 said:

I assumed that was the back of the jersey and the space where a player's last name would go. 

Right, I had the same thought. It could still say “WASHINGTON” on the back for a jersey that’s being used for the reveal. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Admirals

Admirals = 8 letters

February 2, 2022 = 02/02/22

2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 8

2 + 2 + 22 = 26; 2 + 6 = 8

February = 8 letters

TaVUyxy.jpg

• Like 23

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."