Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

On 5/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, BJ Sands said:

There is no chance these last more than the minimum five years. 

Unfortunately, I think that's going to be the intent for some teams going forward.  It's the only way to explain the BFBS/Camo disaster and the fact that none of the jerseys compliment each other.  Washington fits the bill since that city seems to have a lot of disaster projects coming out of it all the time. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Washington's Band Will Return

"Part of the Commanders' rebrand will include a revival of the franchise's marching band — which wasn't a feature of the organization's home games during the past two seasons — the team announced Thursday.

60 performers will make up the group, according to a press release, and it'll debut this summer at training camp. Co-owner Tanya Snyder helped design uniforms that will be burgundy and gold and contain other "new details."

Dear God, they've done it AGAIN

• LOL 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 2
  • Huh? 1

8 hours ago, ptaylor said:

Washington's Band Will Return

"Part of the Commanders' rebrand will include a revival of the franchise's marching band — which wasn't a feature of the organization's home games during the past two seasons — the team announced Thursday.

60 performers will make up the group, according to a press release, and it'll debut this summer at training camp. Co-owner Tanya Snyder helped design uniforms that will be burgundy and gold and contain other "new details."

Dear God, they've done it AGAIN

I really really really hope she did not lean into the military theme with the marching band uniforms

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I really really really hope she did not lean into the military theme with the marching band uniforms

Unless it's Stanford, haven't all marching bands leaned into a military theme?

How Baltimore's Marching Ravens choose the music, formations for games -  pennlive.com

The Athleticism of a DCI Member

Granted, DCI bands have been getting new looks every year since 2016 so most of them are set to the program they're performing that year. 

DCI – The MV Current

2019 DCI World Championships Photos : MARCHING.COM

I do feel like Snyder would probably copy Stanford just to show how "cool and hip" he is with the youngsters.

Russell Gavin Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band

How do you do, fellow kids' has become the 'how do you do, fellow kids' of  memes - The Verge

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unless it's Stanford, haven't all marching bands leaned into a military theme?

I kind of mean more into the military like embellishments on the uniform itself to put over the COMMANDERS theme even more:
spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I could see them taking that DC flag and making a fake rank out of it, so I see what you mean. Though then they'd get crap for calling themselves the commanders and putting sergeant's stripes on the uniforms. And I'd be happy to see them get that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I could see them taking that DC flag and making a fake rank out of it, so I see what you mean. Though then they'd get crap for calling themselves the commanders and putting sergeant's stripes on the uniforms. And I'd be happy to see them get that. 

It wouldn’t even be sergeants rank, but corporal

5 minutes ago, Faxion said:

New additions to the Washington helmet

spacer.png

Player name and number to front!

That looks like a very temporary, not suppose to be used on the field sticker for media day, a photo shoot or something …

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, kimball said:

That looks like a very temporary, not suppose to be used on the field sticker for media day, a photo shoot or something …

I don't think that's temporary; to me, that's both planned and intentional.  Observe below...

37 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Quite normal to put player name stickers on for camp. 

spacer.png

Yes...done with a strip of tape or a bigger label either typed or handwritten--in this case, which covers the existing helmet stripe. Now observe below...

8 hours ago, Faxion said:

New additions to the Washington helmet

spacer.png

Player name and number to front!

That helmet stripe is cut to accommodate the player name. That to me is on purpose, and given how everything else about this unison design seems to mimic combat uniforms, I'll bet that's being tested to be permanent. Plus, look how small that type is--no way you're reading that from more than about two feet away, certainly not from a glance across the field. As to the possible inspiration, well..we'll...

cB3e0YQ.jpeg

schwarzkopf_pasgt.jpg

U.S._soldier_in_1999_wearing_IBA_vest_wi

Mind you, that was the now-outdated PASGT k-pod bucket; once the ACH came out around '03ish or so with the night vision scope clip affixed to the front, we obviously stopped wearing the name bands and ranks on the front. But yeah, I can clearly see where they dredged up those design ideas from.

In the grand scheme of things, that detail of Turner's helmet doesn't bother me--not as c much as the whole rest of the brand does. (I may feel a concept design coming on...and I ain't done one in a looonnnggg time...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

That helmet stripe is cut to accommodate the player name. That to me is on purpose, and given how everything else about this unison design seems to mimic combat uniforms, I'll bet that's being tested to be permanent.

Not exactly. If you look real close you can see that the name and the numbers are on a single horizontal burgundy stripe that's placed over the gold stripe.

Not to say all your other points don't work, tho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

That helmet stripe is cut to accommodate the player name. That to me is on purpose, and given how everything else about this unison design seems to mimic combat uniforms, I'll bet that's being tested to be permanent

My dude... zoom in on the photo. Nothing is cut. It is a piece of label tape applied (somewhat sloppily, I might add) on top of everything. This is for rookie minicamp. The coaches don't know the players by name and many of the UDFAs won't make the roster for camp, anyhow. This is common practice.

• Like 3

I feel 100% safe in saying the NFL would not allow a team to have loose strands of tape across the front of the helmets. The tape is just there for identification purposes during camp. Teams at all levels of football do that. The commanders just got a little fancy and did it with team colored tape. Nothing more than that.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Take it with a grain of salt because it's a wiki, but this page is showing the Commanders "current uniforms" with a gold pants option.

(my usual method of right clicking and selecting copy image isn't working right now, so do some minor footwork and scroll down to see it)

Washington Commanders | American Football Wiki | Fandom

1000?cb=20220225011423

Hotter Than July > Thriller