Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

2 hours ago, Crabcake said:

And let’s not forget this gem:

I can’t remember the last time someone described burgundy and black as a combination that “popped.”

It's crazy to me that this guy is not only a) advocating for players to wear undershirts that are showing and b) using that to compliment the most worthless jersey in the NFL.

• Like 9

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, CDCLT said:

It's crazy to me that this guy is not only a) advocating for players to wear undershirts that are showing and b) using that to compliment the most worthless jersey in the NFL.

There is a very small community on Twitter that touches themselves over these new uniforms. Influencer culture is not my cup of tea.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Is there a rule that says teams absolutely have to wear their alternates?

If so, Washington needs to break the rule and take on the fine.

Coincidentally, Washington had a yellow color rush jersey and never wore it. 

NFL color rush uniforms: Ranking best, worst jerseys - Sports Illustrated

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Idk, Washington not wearing their black uniform wouldn’t be a waste.

Except for those who do like the uniform.

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

It would also be a waste to toss them all in a dumpster and set it on fire, but I'd be OK with it. 

Dan Synder, Ron Rivera, nor anyone in the organization are going to think about doing such thing anytime soon.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think the black Commanders uniform is my favorite of the three. I’m no fan of the “stolen valor” symbolism that the brand is built on, but if I were to put those feelings aside, the elements of the uniform capture that aesthetic really well.

The “Captain America W” is a unique touch on the front of the helmet, the right chest “Commanders” wordmark actually makes sense in that context (and looks like a real nameplate), and giving the DC flag the Stars and Stripes treatment on the shoulder makes it feel directly inspired by the best parts of a modern soldier’s look... the whole uniform actually connects with the inspiration of the new identity in a way that the home and road uniforms simply do not.

The monochrome-black look is obviously wrong, but my hot take is that I would make this the primary home uniform if it meant that the road and burgundy alternate were based directly off of this uniform.

I saw the home uniforms in Madden 23 footage and this is gonna look absolutely terrible in real life. The all burgundy is trash. The uniforms need contrasting pants and socks but even then the lack of stripes is ridiculous and waters down the whole look, not to mention the away jersey is on another planet compared to the home jersey.

Best I can do is 4 out of 10. Maybe change it to 5 if we get contrasting pants and socks. I only rate it that high to begin with because the home jersey is the bare minimum of what I wanted and I really like the helmet.

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

On 6/11/2022 at 11:35 AM, the admiral said:

They'll let anyone wish you a happy Pride these days

The best part is that if those were the Commanders actual colors instead of something an intern slapped together for June, it would still be less busy than their actual current uniforms. 

Commanders QB Taylor Heinicke was on the “Bussin’ with the Boys” podcast and was asked about the new identity.

He responded by saying “I like everything about it… but I think the name could’ve been better… we had two years to come up with something and I feel like ‘Commanders’ is kinda like a safe option”

• LOL 2