NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

It's either Dan Quinn or Nathaniel Hackett to Denver.

Should it be Nathaniel Hackett (per some guy with a checkmark's report) it enhances the chance of Karron Rodgers and Devonte Adams joining the Broncos next season.

6uXNWAo.png

37 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It makes sense, but you would have hoped he'd find a better situation. There's a worse QB in Miami, but there's better ownership, right?

he can only be better than Urban Meyer.  He's a former QB, so he could be beneficial to Trevor Lawrence.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LMU said:

Because the KC to Chicago pipeline did so well with Nagy.

Sigh.  So I'll play devil's advocate a bit here about Poles, Pace, and Nagy.

Ryan Pace and Ryan Poles are almost obnoxiously similar in some ways:

• They both played offensive line
  • Their initials are obviously Ryan P
  • Pace was 37 upon his hiring, Poles 36
  • Both were considered wunderkind hires
  • Both impressed the old creaky men that the McCaskeys brought in for consultation (Accorsi and Polian respectively)
  • Both are seemingly very closed-off people who treat football operations like it's the Bin Laden raid

But there's some differences that are appealing:

• Pace spent over a decade under Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton in New Orleans; Poles has been in Kansas City for a similar duration but has worked for and with Brett Veach, Scott Pioli, Andy Reid, Chris Ballard, and John Dorsey.  He brings in a wider range of experiences and styles that hopefully will serve him well.
  • Unlike Pace, Poles actually played at the NFL level.  It wasn't a significant tenure by any means, but he's been an UDFA and knows the ropes personally a little more than Pace ever did.
  • Pace took the job with conditions in 2015, namely the primary one being that he had to try like hell to hire John Fox.  It was one of those "turbulent priest" situations that forced a football arranged marriage in classic Bears fashion.  Allegedly Poles told Bears ownership that he was only taking the job if he had complete control of the head coaching hire, or else he'd get on his scheduled flight to Minnesota.  He was told it was his show.  I don't know how true that is, but it seems to have gotten circulated by fairly reputable names.

As far as Nagy goes, Nagy was a hot candidate at the time of his hire.  Once the Bears got him there was a ton of applause from those around the league, with Reid himself saying Nagy was likely to be the most successful of anyone who's ever worked for him.  Nagy had one great season before the NFL figured him out, and after that he simply copied whatever Andy Reid was running week-to-week, held abysmal walkthroughs and practices, and never fully grasped the obsessive detail-oriented nature of what it means to be an NFL head coach. 

If Poles hires Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka to be the next head coach of the Bears, then there's definitely going to be more twilight zone crap happening, but we'll see.  I'm trying to keep an open mind.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

In 2005, Byron Leftwich was sacked by Cards safety Adrian Wilson. The sack injured Leftwich's ankle. It made him miss the rest of the 2005 season. Now Wilson will be Byron's GM in Jax.

Trevor Lawrence also sees Leftwich working with the Peyton Manning Coaches crew of Tom Moore and Clyde Christensen and is probably thinking "can Coach Leftwich bring those two with him as well?"

It's also not a done deal as they reportedly interviewed Vic Fangio, who knows Trent Baalke.

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

In 2005, Byron Leftwich was sacked by Cards safety Adrian Wilson. The sack injured Leftwich's ankle. It made him miss the rest of the 2005 season. Now Wilson will be Byron's GM in Jax.

Wait--what now? I had no idea Adrian Wilson had even moved into a front-office role...now he could possibly become a team's GM? Heck yeah! Dude always was one of my favorite players to watch. (And side note: what the RB position is to Tennessee, DB may as well be to Arizona, when you factor in Pat Tillman, Aeneas Williams--who's probably the single most underrated NFL player ever on earth--the aforementioned Wilson, and for the time they was there, Patrick Peterson and the Honey Badger.) Wilson + Leftwich in Jville is a win in my book.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Wait--what now? I had no idea Adrian Wilson had even moved into a front-office role...now he could possibly become a team's GM? Heck yeah! Dude always was one of my favorite players to watch. (And side note: what the RB position is to Tennessee, DB may as well be to Arizona, when you factor in Pat Tillman, Aeneas Williams--who's probably the single most underrated NFL player ever on earth--the aforementioned Wilson, and for the time they was there, Patrick Peterson and the Honey Badger.) Wilson + Leftwich in Jville is a win in my book.

Wilson and Leftwich is not a done deal.  In fact, Baalke is trying to save his job by interviewing Vic Fangio, whom he knew in San Francisco.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Is hiring a defensive coach the right way to go for Chicago?

I don't think it's necessarily about defensive scheme that made Eberflus appeal to Poles and the Bears.  The discipline and accountability aspects, along with the perceived leadership skills are what sealed the deal.

I don't know if Eberflus is going to be any good, if the Bears are on the up and up, but it's new people at least, so we'll see.  Trying to maintain cautious optimism.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

7 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I don't think it's necessarily about defensive scheme that made Eberflus appeal to Poles and the Bears.  The discipline and accountability aspects, along with the perceived leadership skills are what sealed the deal.

I don't know if Eberflus is going to be any good, if the Bears are on the up and up, but it's new people at least, so we'll see.  Trying to maintain cautious optimism.

Plus, Eberflus could be to Fields what Sean McDermott is to Josh Allen.  He most likely had a plan to make Fields an elite level NFL QB.  

34 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Wilson and Leftwich is not a done deal.  In fact, Baalke is trying to save his job by interviewing Vic Fangio, whom he knew in San Francisco.

Which is why I used the word "probably" in my prior post. Probably, possibly--shoot, I'll take 'em both if the Khans make it happen!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Do the Jags make all their personnel decisions based on jersey sales?

Seems ridiculous that they keep going with first-time NFL head coaches, while devout christian Doug Pederson has a Super Bowl ring and didn't get a second interview with them.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Doug Pederson is a sure thing, but wouldn't it be a better sell to your fan base that you have a guy running the show that's actually had a track record of success (3 playoff appearances, 4 playoff wins, a Super Bowl championship, in just 5 seasons)?

I don't know anything about Leftwich, but if there was ever a team that needed to make the safe decision and go with someone with a strong resume, it's the Jags.

EDIT: apparently Pederson hates cursing and making dirty jokes, yet so desperately wanted to be one of the boys.  While he avoided making dirty jokes, he sure enjoyed some innuendos.   I learnt today that the reporter that asked the question phrased it on purpose because he knew it would break Pederson.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."