College Football 2022

MJWalker45

I’m sure it’s impossible, but I’ve always thought the college football playoff should have a dynamic number of teams every season, and only teams with a claim at #1 should be invited. It blows my mind that everyone sneers at all the cash grabs in this sport except playoff expansion.

They got three things very right in having home games for round one, first-round byes, and excluding auto bids. But a 17 game season? Pay these players. 

Obviously the committee rankings from 5-12 would have looked different if they had any significance, but it was still fun to click back through the years and see what kind of match ups might have taken place. Georgia would have hosted playoff games against Penn State (2018) and Auburn (2019) and visited Cincinnati (2020) by now, and that’s really what sold me on this whole thing. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

PJU85JF.png

6 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Old Dominion vs Virginia Tech was fun to watch on ESPNU tonight. I'm not sure why, but I want the Sun Belt Conference to do well.

Games like this one are why the 12 team

playoff will be interesting.  Anything can happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TBGKon said:

So Notre Dame won't be able to get a first round bye. Interesting.

Overall I like it. Winning your conference arguably means more now than it did before, on campus games are great, and more games will matter later into the season. Right now, #10 vs #12 on week 11 doesn't really mean anything in the championship picture, as neither will be able to climb into the top 4 and make the playoffs without significant chaos ahead of them. Now, that'd basically be a play in game. Another added bonus is that the at larges left out can't really complain either. Don't like being #13, [insert team here]? Should've won your conference. Shouldn't have lost that game to [insert other team here].

But most importantly, every single team, Alabama to UTEP, Ohio State to Georgia Southern, USC to Buffalo, will be able to enter the season knowing exactly what they need to do to make the playoffs. Win out, win your conference, and you'll get your shot. That's how it is in literally every other division of NCAA football, and now it will be at the top as well.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Is it just me or does VT seem to get upset every year by either a G5 or FCS program? Feel like it happens to them more than anyone. 

Well, this is the second time in, like, five years they've lost to ODU.  That program's really dropped off a cliff. 

IUe6Hvh.png

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Might just give Notre Dame some incentive to join a conference

The argument I've seen is that they effectively get a bye by not playing a CCG. Makes sense, and also gives just a tiny bit of extra push to join the Big Ten or ACC.

This also might hold off super conferences for a little longer. Oregon and Washington have a much easier path to the playoffs if they stay in the Pac-1X than moving with USCLA to the Big Ten, as does Clemson in the ACC. I know it's more about TV money than it is competitiveness, but might give incentive to stay put at least until the next round of realignment in a decade.

ExJworW.png

50 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The argument I've seen is that they effectively get a bye by not playing a CCG. Makes sense, and also gives just a tiny bit of extra push to join the Big Ten or ACC.

This also might hold off super conferences for a little longer. Oregon and Washington have a much easier path to the playoffs if they stay in the Pac-1X than moving with USCLA to the Big Ten, as does Clemson in the ACC. I know it's more about TV money than it is competitiveness, but might give incentive to stay put at least until the next round of realignment in a decade.

Good point, the realignment machine will slow its roll for a while at last.

And I missed it yesterday but after a few close calls Thursday, congrats to William & Mary on the first FCS over FBS upset, beating Charlotte 😎

6 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

They were even picked to finish behind James Madison? This is JMU's first season in FBS.

Yep, Old Dominion was picked 7th, and James Madison 6th. Also kind of surprising because Old Dominion went to a bowl game last year, while Georgia Southern for instance only won three games.

17 hours ago, EskimoAldus said:

The Big Ten....thousand & The Super SEC will probably leave the NCAA anyway. So the leftovers can have their 12 team playoff. 

I would looooovvvve to see and BigTen/SEC exodus -- "BigSECxit"

FBEd2-3VIAoLeNa?format=png&name=small

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png