NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

There certainly seems to be some......conflicting thought on Dirt racing at Bristol.

Guys like Kevin Harvick see it for what it is. Another gimmick by Nascar to draw interest when viewership is at such a low. 

Can't say I blame him.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

There certainly seems to be some......conflicting thought on Dirt racing at Bristol.

Guys like Kevin Harvick see it for what it is. Another gimmick by Nascar to draw interest when viewership is at such a low. 

Can't say I blame him.   

Race was exciting at times but the cars clearly weren’t built for dirt. Between the spins every 10 laps and the caution for cleaning out the front of the grills it wasn’t a good race. Also hard to watch with all the dust and rain breaks. I know you can’t control that but maybe run the race at a time the weather is more predictable.

I'd love to see NASCAR give an attempt at a real dirt track - Eldora or Knoxville are some I've seen thrown around. Bristol isn't meant for dirt, the track isn't built to maintain it, and while the races have been exciting there have been some stupid, stupid things happening that wouldn't happen at a real dirt track like the mud from last year or the grilles from this year. But I'm over Bristol Dirt, and I'm thinking it may be time for Bristol to lose the spring race.

Speaking of, many people have thrown around the idea that no track with a couple exceptions get more than one date, those exceptions being Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte, Darlington, and Martinsville. I don't mind it, especially because the one cookie-cutter track would be in different configurations for both events. I'd love to see more schedule diversity and it would mean NASCAR could try new things like Montreal or going back to Chicagoland or something.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 minutes ago, QCS said:

I'd love to see NASCAR give an attempt at a real dirt track - Eldora or Knoxville are some I've seen thrown around. Bristol isn't meant for dirt, the track isn't built to maintain it, and while the races have been exciting there have been some stupid, stupid things happening that wouldn't happen at a real dirt track like the mud from last year or the grilles from this year. But I'm over Bristol Dirt, and I'm thinking it may be time for Bristol to lose the spring race.

Speaking of, many people have thrown around the idea that no track with a couple exceptions get more than one date, those exceptions being Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte, Darlington, and Martinsville. I don't mind it, especially because the one cookie-cutter track would be in different configurations for both events. I'd love to see more schedule diversity and it would mean NASCAR could try new things like Montreal or going back to Chicagoland or something.

I agree. It just seems like downgrading the spring Bristol race into more of a gimmick race than anything, and NASCAR shouldn't have any more gimmick races. It should start and stop at the All Star Race.

I do believe they should give a crack at Eldora or Knoxville - personally I prefer Eldora (a little biased since I live a few hours from the track). I feel like if Knoxville gets a renovation to accommodate more fans (even though they downsized in 2018), that could put them in position to hold a Cup race.

I feel like the lower series (definitely the trucks, iffy about the Xfinity peeps) should head back to Lucas Oil Raceway in Indy. It was a fun track that got pushed aside a decade ago for lackluster races at the Brickyard oval. At this point, I would ax the Bristol spring race entirely. 

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

• 1 month later...

So nascar showed their incompetence again. Create a rule for only the all star race that the race must end under green. Dave Blaney was running away with the win had a 3 second lead. But nascar wanting to create some excitement throw a caution within 100 yards of victory. Dave Blaney thinks he won so he takes the window net down. Nascar says nope they are going to restart the race. So for the next 10 minutes you see him struggle with the window net to try and put it on. Only thing that would have made it worse was if nascar forced him to come down pit road to fix it and lose the lead.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

blaney really went out there and won the same race twice, huh

[REDACTED] texas motor speedway, all my homies hate texas motor speedway

At this point, the ASR means nothing. All of the prestige is gone. They need to stop toying with the format and putting it at different tracks - keep it at Charlotte and keep the race at 70 laps (like what happened from 1985 and 1990-2001). But at the same time, NASCAR just might as well end the ASR because no other major motorsports league has something like this, and there is not fun to the magic anymore. 

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

If I had the choice between Texas and the ASR, I'm keeping the ASR. Texas is just terrible, boring, uneventful, etc. The first two races were absolutely messy with opening lap crashes, but they did show up. But they slowed killed the racing at the track.

The All-Star Race can be salvaged, but I don't think racing at Texas can.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel Suarez became the 5th foreign born (and first from Mexico) driver to win a Cup race. And he pretty much dominated, this wasn't a fluky (or an "Alex Bowman", as Kyle Busch put it) win, he was the pacemaker for well over half the race. It's the first time since 2014 that the 99 visited Victory Lane, also at Sonoma.

All of NASCAR is off this weekend, before all 3 series descend upon Nashville. It's also the last broadcast for FOX, at least for this season. They'll be back for the Great American Race, like they usually do.

• Like 2

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Daniel Suarez became the 5th foreign born (and first from Mexico) driver to win a Cup race. And he pretty much dominated, this wasn't a fluky (or an "Alex Bowman", as Kyle Busch put it) win, he was the pacemaker for well over half the race. It's the first time since 2014 that the 99 visited Victory Lane, also at Sonoma.

All of NASCAR is off this weekend, before all 3 series descend upon Nashville. It's also the last broadcast for FOX, at least for this season. They'll be back for the Great American Race, like they usually do.

I was so excited to see Suarez win...after all of the ups and downs he's been through (winning the Xfinity title then being thrust into a Cup ride before he was ready, dropping down the order to the underfunded Gaunt Bros, to this redemption story with Trackhouse). He showed that magic and potential that was on display during the 2016 Xfinity championship season. I am really hoping with this win, it will get a lot more international eyes on the sport.

rAUPGPZ.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The trucks are in Knoxville IA this weekend. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

My mind blanked, and didn't realize that the Trucks were racing this weekend. Oops.

As for Suarez, he was definitely brought up too quickly; which is why Gibbs is tepid about his grandson. Considering that Ty is his grandson; he's for sure not going to want him to follow that same path.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 6/15/2022 at 6:55 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

My mind blanked, and didn't realize that the Trucks were racing this weekend. Oops.

As for Suarez, he was definitely brought up too quickly; which is why Gibbs is tepid about his grandson. Considering that Ty is his grandson; he's for sure not going to want him to follow that same path.

Suarez and Gibbs are 2 completely different situations. Suarez got pushed out because they had a line of Toyota development drivers needing rides, and no room to put them when you have Busch, hamlin, and truex coming in with jones and bell waiting for rides or risk loosing them to other manufacturers that Toyota didn’t want to happen, he was the odd man out. Gibbs will never lose his ride, especially with Gibbs aging roster close to retirement, and no back log of drivers behind him.

2 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

So you're telling me, with how small Knoxville is...Fox's camera crew didn't get any footage of Jessica Freisen's flip?

They missed Brett Moffit's Wall Crawl as well.

The announce crew were in Charlotte and it was like the C team was in Knoxville, without any spotters! 

• Like 1

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

4 hours ago, Needschat said:

They missed Brett Moffit's Wall Crawl as well.

The announce crew were in Charlotte and it was like the C team was in Knoxville, without any spotters! 

So like what they did with COVID, but somehow 10x worse? 

rAUPGPZ.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

That's a surprise. 

I can't remember the last time the 1st AND 2nd place cars were DQ'ed. 

this is the first time the winner has been DQ’ed in over 60 years. From the report it sounds like they did something to the body that couldn’t be seen until the wrap was taken off. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless it’s so minor the optical scanner couldn’t even catch it. I am expecting big penalties coming this week though if Brad Keselowski’s penalty from atlanta is any indication.