NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Ty Gibbs won at Martinsville but needed to hit Brandon Jones, his teammate to do so. 

This wasn't a Dale Earnhardt Sr. situation (ala "rattling his cage"). He straight up drop kicked him going into Turn 1. A chump move, and  he showed what little respect he had.  Maybe he was passive-aggressive and did it to Jones because he's leaving JGR next year. Although, Gibbs might probably be doing the exact same thing (just going to Cup), so what did that really do other than unite the vast majority of NASCAR fans against him.

If I'm Gibbs I'm watching my back next weekend because there's someone out there who has nothing to lose, and may have a score to settle. Instead of having the two of them, united for a shot at the championship; he decided to selfishly stab him in the back. This win wasn't going to magically make Ty have the points lead or anything. The kid needs to learn to respect his competitors; otherwise someone's going take the silver spoon out of his mouth and teach him the hard way.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

This wasn't a Dale Earnhardt Sr. situation (ala "rattling his cage"). He straight up drop kicked him going into Turn 1. A chump move, and  he showed what little respect he had.  Maybe he was passive-aggressive and did it to Jones because he's leaving JGR next year. Although, Gibbs might probably be doing the exact same thing (just going to Cup), so what did that really do other than unite the vast majority of NASCAR fans against him.

If I'm Gibbs I'm watching my back next weekend because there's someone out there who has nothing to lose, and may have a score to settle. Instead of having the two of them, united for a shot at the championship; he decided to selfishly stab him in the back. This win wasn't going to magically make Ty have the points lead or anything. The kid needs to learn to respect his competitors; otherwise someone's going take the silver spoon out of his mouth and teach him the hard way.

Agree. That was classless by him

17 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Well, JRM managed to get 3/4 teams in the Xfinity Championship. I’d call that a spectacular and well achieved season

And added maybe another team that will be gunning for their only competitor. Smart move Ty you really showed you have no class on the racetrack. 

28 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

Ross Chastain with the funniest move I've ever seen. Denny Hamlin is an all-time great driver, but I just don't like him. So I'm glad he missed out on the Championship 4.

It was a literally a video game move and I still can't believe it worked. I've been watching NASCAR since the 70's and I've never seen anything like it. I honestly thought the video had been sped up when I saw the replay. It just might be the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a race.

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1586835925174128641?s=20&t=ZfN8xtpFucO5AfVGYttTqQ

• Like 6
  • WOAH 1

BB52Big.jpg

I'm pretty sure my mouth was wide open for 15 minutes after that. One of the most insane things I have ever seen in NASCAR. I used to wallride Martinsvile like that on NASCAR video games growing up; however, I never thought an actual driver would have the audacity to do that.

I think Jeff Gluck on Twitter said it best: "The Hail Melon".

rAUPGPZ.png

I used to do that at Martinsville and New Hampshire on NASCAR 14, I can't believe it actually works in real life. My jaw was on the floor for a good hour after the finish.

It's the fastest recorded lap ever at Martinsville, the previous record was Logano with an 18.898 during qualifying in 2014. He got an 18.845 there.

Just incredible. Have you ever?

ExJworW.png

We’ve seen a few people try it over the years and this is the first time it’s worked. I smell nascar coming up with a no wall riding rule in the near future, otherwise everyone is now going to try it on the last lap at martinsville. Especially with these cars that are so hard to pass, yet kind of durable if hit right.

On 10/30/2022 at 6:25 PM, infrared41 said:

It was a literally a video game move and I still can't believe it worked. I've been watching NASCAR since the 70's and I've never seen anything like it. I honestly thought the video had been sped up when I saw the replay. It just might be the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a race.

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1586835925174128641?s=20&t=ZfN8xtpFucO5AfVGYttTqQ

They said on the broadcast that Chastain's lap time for the final lap was 2.5 seconds faster than the winner's final lap.

Unreal.  Looked like me playing PS4

My favorite part of this whole thing is Ross mentioning in his postrace press conference that it was a move he tried on NASCAR 2005 on the Gamecube, at the fictional Dodge Raceway. Dodge Raceway is having quite the comeback this year as it was a racetrack inside of a football stadium, and a go-to comparison for the Clash earlier this year for fans of a certain age.

15 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I think NASCAR is going to make this an unwritten rule, but handle it like they did with Jeff Gordon in the All-Star race in 1997.

Basically, going up to them and saying, "Don't do it again, and we won't do anything, okay?"

I see them having to make a rule, something along the line of “you can not wall ride (make constant contact with the wall in the corner) and advance your position. If you do penalties are as followed

drive through pit road, or forfeit finishing position to last place on your respective lap if at the end of the race”

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

I see them having to make a rule, something along the line of “you can not wall ride (make constant contact with the wall in the corner) and advance your position. If you do penalties are as followed

drive through pit road, or forfeit finishing position to last place on your respective lap if at the end of the race”

There won't be a rule. It was a one in a million, the stars aligned just right, we're never going to see it again move and here's why. 999 times out of a 1000 that move doesn't work.  The car is either going to spin or get too much wall to have any speed. Any attempt is far more likely to result in disaster than it is in success. There are very few tracks where that move even has a chance of working. Martinsville, and maybe New Hampshire and Darlington. You aren't pulling that type of move at Daytona or Charlotte. Every driver in NASCAR now knows that an attempt at that move is a possibility. Should the situation repeat itself (highly unlikely) the drivers will defend against it.

We saw a racing miracle on Sunday. Enjoy it because in all likelihood, it's the last time you'll ever see it. 

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

49 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

There won't be a rule. It was a one in a million, the stars aligned just right, we're never going to see it again move and here's why. 999 times out of a 1000 that move doesn't work.  The car is either going to spin or get too much wall to have any speed. Any attempt is far more likely to result in disaster than it is in success. There are very few tracks where that move even has a chance of working. Martinsville, and maybe New Hampshire and Darlington. You aren't pulling that type of move at Daytona or Charlotte. Every driver in NASCAR now knows that an attempt at that move is a possibility. Should the situation repeat itself (highly unlikely) the drivers will defend against it.

We saw a racing miracle on Sunday. Enjoy it because in all likelihood, it's the last time you'll ever see it. 

It was a miracle, but just to save the drivers from themselves there needs to be a rule to prevent it. Now that it’s been shown to work with these cars more are bound to try it especially at martinsville And with the importance on winning. Last thing I want to see is next race at martinsville last corner seeing every car just do that and cause a massive pileup. Also from a purely integrity standpoint I don’t like it. It doesn’t take skill to do what Ross did on Sunday just an amazing amount of luck for it to stick and not break his car.