NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

3 hours ago, dont care said:

It was a miracle, but just to save the drivers from themselves there needs to be a rule to prevent it. Now that it’s been shown to work with these cars more are bound to try it especially at martinsville And with the importance on winning. Last thing I want to see is next race at martinsville last corner seeing every car just do that and cause a massive pileup. Also from a purely integrity standpoint I don’t like it. It doesn’t take skill to do what Ross did on Sunday just an amazing amount of luck for it to stick and not break his car.

I disagree for all the reasons I've already stated. It was a once in a lifetime shot that came through. The odds against that situation repeating itself are astronomical. That and NASCAR drivers aren't idiots.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I disagree for all the reasons I've already stated. It was a once in a lifetime shot that came through. The odds against that situation repeating itself are astronomical. That and NASCAR drivers aren't idiots.

They’ve proven otherwise lately

42 minutes ago, Sport said:

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 why that move worked and what exactly happened? I don't follow Nascar that closely and I haven't been able to find a good summarization. 

1. Huge difference in straightaway speed vs. corner speed
2. While other drivers were shifting down, Chastain shifted to 5th gear, took his hands off the wheel, and let the wall guide the car around.

3. Durability/stiffness of the new car -- For all the reasons the car is unsafe, it doesn't rip apart easily.
4. Cars riding the bottom groove at Martinsville - There's no high lane at Martinsville.. if any car was in his way during the maneuver, he's taking out himself, that car, and possibly more.
5. Short distance from corner exit to start/finish line

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sport said:

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 why that move worked and what exactly happened? I don't follow Nascar that closely and I haven't been able to find a good summarization. 

He needed to make up two positions to advance to the championship race so he shifted into 5th gear (not normally done at Martinsville because of a lack of handling) and just floored it, letting the wall guide him. Because nobody was up there he was able to take the two positions he needed and then some. He sacrificed his car for speed and in the process set a new Martinsville track record for a Cup car.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Glad to have Jimmie back & excited on what he can bring to Petty GMS Racing. There was a rumor a couple months ago when Junior started talking about bringing JRM to Cup that he might buy into Petty GMS, now I'm wondering if there was more substance to that.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:14 PM, infrared41 said:

What, exactly, are you looking for in NASCAR?

A safe product of integrity. The drivers need to be protected from themselves. Ross took that corner at 5 g’s, he stated his “eggs were scrambled” after. He could have easily given himself a concussion. If you want to watch someone drive into a wall and find that entertaining, fine. Go watch a demolition derby. Watch a video game stream that does it. It is actually a penalty in iRacing as well. If you want to watch the best racers use there skills against eachother that’s what I want to watch.

19 hours ago, dont care said:
On 11/1/2022 at 11:14 PM, infrared41 said:

What, exactly, are you looking for in NASCAR?

A safe product of integrity. The drivers need to be protected from themselves. Ross took that corner at 5 g’s, he stated his “eggs were scrambled” after. He could have easily given himself a concussion. If you want to watch someone drive into a wall and find that entertaining, fine. Go watch a demolition derby. Watch a video game stream that does it. It is actually a penalty in iRacing as well. If you want to watch the best racers use there skills against eachother that’s what I want to watch.

NASCAR has never been safer than it is today. If protecting drivers from themselves is the goal, the only option is to outlaw auto racing. We're talking about people who willingly get in a rocket on wheels and drive it at 190mph for 250 laps. You can't take risk out of NASCAR. Period.

NEWSFLASH: Drivers hit the wall all the time in NASCAR.  I don't find it entertaining, but to act like something can be done about it is downright silly. Concussions happen too. It's part of the sport and NASCAR has made huge improvements in driver safety over the years.

We get "the best racers using their skills against each other" every week. Frankly, you're overreacting to a great driver pulling off a one in a million shot. Maybe you'd be better suited to watching something a little more calm like golf.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

That’s an outright lie. The cars are more dangerous now than they have been in over 15 years between giving guys concussions, catching on fire randomly, and giving guys the hardest hits of their life’s. Even guys like harvick who have been around for the concrete walls days say that this car hurts them more than it did 20 years ago.

• WOAH 1

Not to necessarily defend the Gen 7 car, which needs improvements on safety, yes, but it's not like the old cars were perfect - Dale Jr's career was ruined by concussions, but he never raced in a Gen 7 car. Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman suffered great injury in previous models of car, even the incredibly safe COT. NASCAR is just a dangerous sport - barreling around at nearly 200 MPH for hours will do that.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Ty Gibbs wins the Xfinity Championship

Noah Gragson came in second. In his post race interview, he reiterated that if he had gotten close enough (which he was giving his all for) he would’ve “gotten that POS”. Gragson did however personally congratulate the 54 team, minus Ty Gibbs.

44 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Ty Gibbs wins the Xfinity Championship

Noah Gragson came in second. In his post race interview, he reiterated that if he had gotten close enough (which he was giving his all for) he would’ve “gotten that POS”. Gragson did however personally congratulate the 54 team, minus Ty Gibbs.

I wouldn't have a problem with him winning if he didn't stab his teammate in the back last weekend for literally no reason.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

18 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with him winning if he didn't stab his teammate in the back last weekend for literally no reason.

His responses were pretty generic about it too when asked about it post race today.

I don’t think he ever really had remorse about the incident.

Hopping in to put a bow on the 2022 season with updates from the weekend:

• Just hours after celebrating the 2022 Xfinity Series Championship with his son, Coy Gibbs, 49, passed away suddenly early Sunday morning. Coy was listed as co-owner of Joe Gibbs Racing and was the father of Ty, who had just won the Xfinity title the night before. Coy's cause of death has not been reported, but in the official statement released by JGR, Coy passed away in his sleep. As a result of Coy's passing, Ty stepped-away from the #23 for 23XI Racing Sunday and was replaced by Kaulig Xfinity Driver, Daniel Hemric. 

• Meanwhile, the Championship race continued as-scheduled. Polesitter Joey Logano won the opening stage and dominated the remainder of the race en-route to his 31st career victory and, more importantly, his 2nd career Cup Series title. Logano finishes the year with four victories, 11 top-fives, 17 top-tens, and an average finish of 13.5. 

• Ross Chastain made a valiant effort late in the race, coming home third and taking second in the championship order. Chastain had a stellar first year in Trackhouse's breakout season, capturing a series-high 15 top-fives, 21 top-tens, two victories, and a solid 13.3 avg. finish (second among all drivers). Also, unrelated to Sunday's race, but Ross's "Hail Melon" was reportedly viewed nearly 100 MILLION times across all major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube). 

• Coming home third in the standings was Christopher Bell who finished the race 10th. Bell had the weaker car of the four championship drivers and at one point thought his engine was failing. Bell finishes a strong 2022 season with three victories including two clutch wins to advance through the playoffs.

• The final driver of the Championship Four was Chase Elliott, coming home P29. Elliott and Chastain made contact on a restart, sending the 9 spinning and making contact with the inside wall. The damage put Elliott multiple laps down as the regular season-champ finishes a disappointing playoff run with two top fives in the final 10 races, including five finishes of 20th or worse in that stretch (he had five finishes of 20th or worse during the first 26 races).

• Heavy-hitters and big names such as Ryan Blaney, Martin Truex Jr., and Brad Keselowski all finish the season without a victory. This is Blaney's first winless season since joining the cup series in 2017; MTJ finishes outside the playoffs and winless for the first time since 2014 when he first joined Furniture Row Racing; Brad Keselowski also ends his first season as a driver-owner outside the playoffs and winless since 2010, his first full-time season in the #12 for Roger Penske.

• Over the weekend, it was announced that 7-time champion Jimmie Johnson had bought into Petty GMS Racing and will drive part-time for the organization in select races next season, starting with the 2023 Daytona 500. Johnson last raced a NASCAR Cup Series car in 2020 and hasn't won a points-paying race since 2017. He has spent the last two seasons driving for Chip Ganassi Racing on the IndyCar circuit, nabbing a couple top-ten efforts this year at Texas and Iowa. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

19 hours ago, LAWeaver said:

Hopping in to put a bow on the 2022 season with updates from the weekend:

• Just hours after celebrating the 2022 Xfinity Series Championship with his son, Coy Gibbs, 49, passed away suddenly early Sunday morning. Coy was listed as co-owner of Joe Gibbs Racing and was the father of Ty, who had just won the Xfinity title the night before. Coy's cause of death has not been reported, but in the official statement released by JGR, Coy passed away in his sleep. As a result of Coy's passing, Ty stepped-away from the #23 for 23XI Racing Sunday and was replaced by Kaulig Xfinity Driver, Daniel Hemric. 

• Meanwhile, the Championship race continued as-scheduled. Polesitter Joey Logano won the opening stage and dominated the remainder of the race en-route to his 31st career victory and, more importantly, his 2nd career Cup Series title. Logano finishes the year with four victories, 11 top-fives, 17 top-tens, and an average finish of 13.5. 

Horrible news about Coy Gibbs. Can't imagine the highest of highs that the Gibbs family had on Saturday to the absolute worst on Sunday.

Congrats to Logano on getting that 2nd championship. 2 championships, 31 wins, and he's still only 32 years old.