NASCAR 2022 Paint Schemes

LAWeaver

With the introduction of the new NextGen car in NASCAR, paint schemes are going to look a bit... different. Numbers have been moved forward on the door towards the front wheel, allowing for more room for sponsors (well, theoretically), and chrome/metallic/reflective numbers and graphics are being re-introduced. Here's a rundown on what's been unveiled thus far:

#1 - Ross Chastain (Trackhouse Racing)

unnamed.jpg

Advent Health moves to Trackhouse Racing with Ross Chastain as a result of Chip Ganassi Racing's closure. The watermelon pattern on the side represents Chastain's background as a Florida watermelon farmer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 - Austin Cindric (Team Penske)

Austin-Cindric-2022-Discount-Tire.jpgAustin-Cindric-2022-Menards-scheme.jpg

Austin Cindric moves from the Xfinity Series to the Cup Series, replacing Brad Keselowski. Discount Tire remains on-board the #2, while Menards increased their presence and will don the #2 for the first time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 - Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas Racing)

QWCDk_EQ.jpeg2022-4-busch-light-scaled.jpg4-Rheem-3Q-scaled.jpgFJ9ej3XXsAQPUmQ?format=jpg&name=small

As you'll see, Stewart-Haas Racing has been the most consistent in terms of decent designs around this new NextGen car. Gearwrench jumps-ship from the closing Chip Ganassi Racing to Kevin Harvick's #4, while Rheem partners with Harvick for the first time in nearly a decade. UPDATE: Added Harvick's Mobil 1 car unveiled on Jan. 25.

#5 - Kyle Larson (Hendrick Motorsports)

2022-5-hendrick-cars.png

Defending series champion Kyle Larson will have a familiar paint scheme for 2022, similar to the one he ran last year. Larson will also have "Home and Away" firesuits for 2022 - White for tracks with a Hendrick dealership nearby, and blue for tracks without one. Also, Hendrick Motorsports seems to be going with a "double bowtie" on the hoods of their cars for whatever reason. Not sure if it'll make its way onto the official car or if its for rendering purposes only.

#6 - Brad Keselowski (RFK Racing)

265027799_482588643224750_6278387626672543784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=nFLmt59t5ikAX_vfK83&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AT92LsMw1k2Dz4XTDwB0DLljZplf4XVc7dhoBaYRzPgi2A&oe=61E4E904

Brad Keselowski has purchased a stake in Roush Fenway Racing, forming Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing (RFK Racing, for short). So far Fastenal, Kohler Generators, and Castrol motor oil seem to be staying with the 6 team, but only the Fastenal scheme has officially been unveiled, using a blue chrome number (expect a lot of chrome numbers from RFK this year). The Kohler and Castrol cars that have been used in testing these last couple weeks/months are the same design, just color swapped. Official designs will be unveiled at a later time.

#7 - Corey LaJoie (Spire Motorsports)

Corey LaJoie returns to Spire Motorsports hoping to improve on his 2021 season. His long-time sponsor Schluter Systems continues their partnership with him in 2022, adorning the #7, coincidentally, seven times this year.

#8 - Tyler Reddick (Richard Childress Racing)

2022-8-3chi.jpgFJ5C-ZJXwAc9Btw?format=jpg&name=large

NASCAR's first-ever Hemp sponsor, 3CHI, will adorn the #8 Chevrolet of Tyler Reddick for a large portion of the 2022 schedule. The team has chosen to run metallic bronze/copper numbers with this scheme. UPDATE: GuaranteedRate continues their ad blitz across all sports, jumps from RFK's #6 to Reddick's #8 for select races in 2022.

#9 - Chase Elliott (Hendrick Motorsports)

Chase Elliott 2022 Llumar2022 9 Napa

2020 Series Champion Chase Elliott will see familiar colors return to his #9. NAPA remains the primary sponsor for the year, and Llumar returns for a second season with Chase. 

#10 - Aric Almirola (Stewart-Haas Racing)

2022 10 Smithfield

Aric Almirola returns to the #10 with Smithfield for the final time in his career. Aric will retire from full-time competition at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

#11 - Denny Hamlin (Joe Gibbs Racing)

FI3I_vmXwAEDkjC?format=jpg&name=small
Denny Hamlin will be sporting a new design as FedEx returns to the #11 for 2022 in one of NASCAR's longest partnerships between sponsor, team, and driver.

#12 - Ryan Blaney (Team Penske)

Ryan-Blaneys-2022-Menards-scheme.jpgFJ4NW-PXMAMkvLT?format=jpg&name=smallFJKn5g9XMAQ90e_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Menards returns to Ryan Blaney and the #12 after a successful 2021 campaign, sporting a similar design to the #2 of Austin Cindric.  Added Blaney's new Wurth and Advance Auto Parts designs for 2022.

#14 - Chase Briscoe (Stewart-Haas Racing)

Briscoe22

New sponsor Mahindra Tractors joins Stewart-Haas Racing and 2021 Rookie of the Year, Chase Briscoe, as an anchor partner of the team.

#17 - Chris Buescher (RFK Racing)

BuescherC-Fastenal-2022.jpg?bw=1000&w=1000&bh=1000&h=1000

Like his new co-owner and teammate Brad Keselowski, Chris Buescher will also sport the Fastenal brand on his #17 Ford for 2022. Buescher's paint scheme is basically an inverted version of Brad's #6 and uses chrome silver numbers.

18 - Kyle Busch (Joe Gibbs Racing)

Kyle-Busch-Interstate-Batteries-2022.jpg

Two-time champion Kyle Busch's #18 Interstate Batteries car sees some slight tweaks compared the 2021 version of this scheme, minus the obvious giant logo and new number placement, of course. 
Meanwhile, M&M's will ride with Kyle Busch for the final time in 2022 as they're leaving the sport at year's end. 

#19 - Martin Truex Jr. (Joe Gibbs Racing)

bps19truex.jpg

Long-time sponsors of 2017 champion Martin Truex Jr., Bass Pro Shops and Auto Owners Insurance, return to the #19 Toyota. The BPS car looks virtually identical to his previous rides, while the Auto Owners car is a new design.

#20 - Christopher Bell (Joe Gibbs Racing)

2022-20-rheem.jpg2022-20-dewalt-scheme.jpg

Rheem and DeWalt return to the #20 Camry of Christopher Bell in 2022. This year Bell has taken advantage of the new Chrome/metallic numbers.

#21 - Harrison Burton (Wood Bros. Racing)

21-wood-brothers-motorcraft.jpg

Rookie Harrison Burton (son of Jeff Burton) moves up to the historic #21 Wood Brothers Ford from the Xfinity Series. The #21 NextGen Mustang will feature metallic numbers on the doors. 

#22 - Joey Logano (Team Penske)

Joey-Logano-AAA-scaled.jpg

AAA returns for two races with Joey Logano in 2022. While Logano's primary Shell/Pennzoil car has yet to be unveiled, it's notable that the traditional "scallop" design featured on the 22 for the past decade is noticeably missing from the AAA cars, likely due to the new number placement.

#23 - Darrell Wallace Jr. (23XI Racing)

2022 23 Leidos

Leidos reunites with Bubba Wallace at 23XI Racing with a new scheme set to run in several races this season.

#24 - William Byron (Hendrick Motorsports)

2022-Axalta-Chevrolet-primary01.jpgWB-Wallpapers2560x1600-1-1.jpg

William Byron's #24 Axalta Chevrolet is virtually unchanged from 2021 aside from the new number placement. UPDATE: Byron will pilot a newly-designed Liberty University Camaro throughout the season as well.

#27 - Jacques Villeneuve (Team Hezeberg)

27hezeberg.png

Indy 500 winner and F1 World Champ Jacques Villeneuve will pilot the #27 Ford Mustang for the newly-formed Team Hezeberg in select races this season, including the Daytona 500.

#41 - Cole Custer (Stewart-Haas Racing)

Cole Custer 2022 Scheme

Cole Custer looks for a bounce-back year in 2022. He'll once again be piloting the #41 Haas CNC Tooling Ford Mustang, showing how teams should be using the added space for sponsors.

#43 - Erik Jones (Petty/GMS Motorsports)

Erik Jones Focusfactor

FOCUSfactor, a "totally legit, definitely not a scam" supplement company, joins the newly-formed Petty/GMS Motorsports #43 for a majority of 2022 with Erik Jones behind the wheel.

#45 - Kurt Busch (23XI Racing)

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F61ca117f1a11f882c7554671%2FKurt-Busch-will-drive-the-No--45-Toyota-in-2022-%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

Kurt Busch moves from Chip Ganassi Racing to the #45 of 23XI Racing, co-owned by Denny Hamlin and Michael Jordan. Busch brings Monster Energy with him after Chip Ganassi shut-down his team at the end of 2021. 

#47 - Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (JTG/Daugherty Racing)

f0637eb7e0af720a0c56b1c1ec3e0048_XL.jpgCB-JTG-Daugherty-Sweetleaf.ashx?mw=408FJ9M00KWYAkMmzt?format=jpg&name=medium

Kroger and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. return to JTG/Daugherty Racing in 2022. New sponsors Irish Spring and Sweet Leaf have been confirmed, and are expected to be among several brands promoted by Kroger throughout the season. UPDATE: Added Ricky's Food-4-Less/Slim Jim Chevrolet unveiled Jan. 25. Car will make its debut in LA at the Busch Light Clash in the Coliseum. 

#48 - Alex Bowman (Hendrick Motorsports)

2022-Ally-Chevrolet-primary01.jpg

Coming off a career-best four victories in 2021, Alex Bowman and Ally look for another successful 2022 in this slightly-off-white, purple, and magenta #48 Chevy. 

#51 - Cody Ware (Rick Ware Racing)

Cody Ware returns for the full 2022 season behind the wheel of the #51 for the series' premiere back-marker team. 

#99 - Daniel Suarez (Trackhouse Racing)

Daniel-Suarez-Daytona-500.jpg

Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville returns for 2022 aboard the #99 of Daniel Suarez for even more races. 

• Like 6

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I didn’t think I would like the forward number placement, but the more I see it the more I like it. Along with the bigger sponsors, I think it allows for some more design on the side panel of the cars. Overall I think the new car looks sharp, but the rear end looks a little stubby. 
The old fart in me isn’t crazy about some of the “innovation” on the new car, but I get it, gotta stay with the times. 

• Like 2

Love all of the official SHR schemes so far and I adore the 11 and 18. Hendrick's been disappointing sadly, we'll have to wait for Valvoline to make some good Hendrick schemes. We've seen both extremes of good and bad design with the number placement, and while I want it back to where it used to be, it can be good.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I'm still kind of amazed they haven't cleaned up the "10"...still looks like the 1 an 0 are at two different angles with a bit more italics on the 0, and the serifed 1 doesn't help. 

31848fff240305417b54feb5931284a1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm still kind of amazed they haven't cleaned up the "10"...still looks like the 1 an 0 are at two different angles with a bit more italics on the 0, and the serifed 1 doesn't help. 

Damn now I can't unsee that. But weird-looking numbers are nothing new for Stewart-Haas. Look at what Chase Briscoe ran when he was in the 98 car in Xfinity. The two digits look like they're from different fonts.

No. 98 HighPoint.com: Chase Briscoe Pocono NXS Advance

• Like 4

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

To me adding the drop shadow and white stroke shows they are actually parallel. I’m guessing it’s just an illusion that’s making them look like they are at different angles with the curve of the body, and the curve on the “0” away from the hard angle of the “1”

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

Damn now I can't unsee that. But weird-looking numbers are nothing new for Stewart-Haas. Look at what Chase Briscoe ran when he was in the 98 car in Xfinity. The two digits look like they're from different fonts.

I always hated that 98 car too; pick one font or the other!

1 hour ago, dont care said:

To me adding the drop shadow and white stroke shows they are actually parallel. I’m guessing it’s just an illusion that’s making them look like they are at different angles with the curve of the body, and the curve on the “0” away from the hard angle of the “1”

IDK...maybe...my eyes see two different angles...the white space clearly narrows in-between the hard edges of the 1 and the 0. 

10-2.png

10 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I always had a weird liking of this font lol, I was a little disappointed they made the 8 look more like the 9 last year. Plus, it technically was the same font, even if it looked a little.... odd. 

Oh, and the 10 should change to the 44 to better match the SHR numbering pattern🙃

5 hours ago, jn8 said:

Plus, it technically was the same font, even if it looked a little.... odd. 

A 3 flipped upside down and added to a regular 3 is abnormal font design. 

The style of the regular 3 looks very different than the style of the 9. 

Just because you saw it on the internet doesn't make it true. 

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

A 3 flipped upside down and added to a regular 3 is abnormal font design. 

The style of the regular 3 looks very different than the style of the 9. 

Just because you saw it on the internet doesn't make it true. 

Using a mirrored version of the closed side of the 3 seems like a pretty common way to make an 8 to me. Obviously not in the case of a font like Denver’s, but I’d say 9/10 times it’s a safe bet. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, jn8 said:

I always had a weird liking of this font lol, I was a little disappointed they made the 8 look more like the 9 last year. Plus, it technically was the same font, even if it looked a little.... odd. 

Oh, and the 10 should change to the 44 to better match the SHR numbering pattern🙃

I know they were technically the same font. That's why I said that they looked like they were different fonts. :)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Thanks for making this list! Most of the cars look like crap with the numbers being moved but a few look pretty decent. I wish the numbers were still in the middle of the door and that they used 5 lug wheels, but it is what it is so all I can do is hope that the racing is good

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png