NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

45 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

Lol come on man. 

I even specified it’s not just discussing uniforms. That’s obviously the point of this forum. Just the language people use, like getting ENRAGED that teams wear white at home. Saying :censored: is UNACCEPTABLE, and then even personally insulting the players for their quotes about liking their own uniforms.  I like discussing uniforms, I have positive and negative opinions on different uniforms, but I don’t get like, personally offended by them lol

Guess what guy? You're not the arbiter of what can and can't be said here. 

And if you're still confused? This is a mod telling you that. Get over yourself.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • WOAH 1
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

By contrast, football never has an issue with cleaning since games are played weekly rather than daily. But Football is a contact sport played in not the best field quality so mud and dirty during the game meaning a white uniform shows dirt, grass, and blood more readily.  With fall weather being significantly cooler, the necessity to limit the sun's harshness was minimal. A lot of teams were also significantly short of cash, leading many to have only one jersey. White jerseys only emerged consistently in the 30's and 40's as a "change" to ensure you could always tell the two apart.

I felt the advent of TV had more to do with the move to white and football just copied soccer by having teams roll out a "change strip" when playing a team that had similar looks. As neat as it would be to see Tennessee wear orange vs Alabama, I think the idea that they where white still makes for a better looking game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

53 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

NFL football uniform design used to be so elegant in its simplicity. Now you've got teams like the Chargers who became the Oregon Ducks when we all weren't looking, the Commanders being god knows what, and all of these teams with terrible new helmets because they can.

Agreed on most of this, but are we thinking of the same Chargers? They've got an incredibly simple, sensible, and timeless set, plus a pair of alternates that are equally good, monochrome aside. That's a far cry from the hyper-modern, brightly-colored, pattern-riddled sets we've seen over the year from the Ducks. Did you get them mixed up with the Rams?

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 minute ago, PERRIN said:

Agreed on most of this, but are we thinking of the same Chargers? They've got an incredibly simple, sensible, and timeless set, plus a pair of alternates that are equally good, monochrome aside. That's a far cry from the hyper-modern, brightly-colored, pattern-riddled sets we've seen over the year from the Ducks. Did you get them mixed up with the Rams?

Nope! The Rams are actually way more refined and simpler than this:

R.466fd8d2f16f98495912a1c4b993cf81?rik=i

People don't like the bone, but the Rams at least settled on one basic uniform system. The Chargers have (at least) three. Cut out the last two on the right and they're great.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

People don't like the bone, but the Rams at least settled on one basic uniform system. The Chargers have (at least) three. Cut out the last two on the right and they're great.

2021_LARams.png

"one basic uniform system"

You mean the set where the original home and road uniforms looked like they belonged to different teams? The one where they mix and match all the time, leading to no consistency?

2021_LAChargers.png

Obviously the navy and royal jerseys are unnecessary but even with them the Chargers only wear six different combinations. The Rams wore nine last season. Plus all the Chargers jerseys are just color swaps of each other - the Rams can't say that.

• Like 20

the user formerly known as cdclt

Most NFL teams DO wear colored jerseys for a majority of the season, which is why the ratio becomes so skewed and frustrating for teams like the Bucs and Panthers. We see their white jerseys for most road games as it is, leading to white being worn 12-13 out of 17 games. So even if you're one of these "Their white look is better anyway" people, that doesn't mean the colored look isn't solid enough that it's worth seeing for more than 15-20% of the season. 

And yes, darker colors absorb more heat. No one is denying that scientific fact. All we're saying is perhaps these teams can be more reasonable with at what point in the season they decide to make the slightly inconvenient sacrifice to please the fans and wear their colors. The Bucs wearing white at home in January is  a joke, whether you like that look or not. The Panthers wearing white at home for late afternoon games in October when it will be dark by the 4th quarter is questionable. If you read any social media comments sections from a team who posts a uniform schedule like this, they are loaded with complaints from top to bottom. I'm not quite sure how these meetings go. "Hey, the fans really love this uniform, so how about we wear it as little as possible? Sound good?"

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

You mean the set where the original home and road uniforms looked like they belonged to different teams? The one where they mix and match all the time, leading to no consistency?

Until they added white, the Rams had two basic looks, bone and blue. Yes, they had lots of pants combos (I didn't like them all), but this is what you had:

2020_LARams.png

You can argue it's uglier on the whole than the Chargers (I wouldn't), but I do think it's two basic looks -- bone and blue.

The Chargers have more: white, light blue, blue, and dark blue. That's more complicated than what the Rams have, both now, last season, and moving forward (as they phase out bone).

EDIT: To put another way, the Rams are the Rams week by week. Whether they're in blue, white, or bone, they use those same three colors.

The Chargers don't. You never know which palette you're going to get.

• Like 1
  • Meh 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 6

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This Rams-Chargers discussion is perplexing because the latter has such a basic uniform throughout the set.

@DG_ThenNowForever “You never know which palette you’re going to get.”  doesn’t make any sense when they have two regular set of pants (white & yellow). Due to the nature of the the primary [powder] blue, the alt pants and jerseys cannot be worn outside of their regular status. You’d know exactly what you’d get with the Chargers. It’s blue and yellow. Just like the Rams have done with their set now.

• Like 4

Just now, DCarp1231 said:

This Rams-Chargers discussion is perplexing because the latter has such a basic uniform throughout the set.

@DG_ThenNowForever “You never know which palette you’re going to get.”  doesn’t make any sense when they have two regular set of pants (white & yellow). Due to the nature of the the primary [powder] blue, the alt pants and jerseys cannot be worn outside of their regular status. You’d know exactly what you’d get with the Chargers. It’s blue and yellow. Just like the Rams have done with their set now.

The Rams have four basic colors: yellow, blue, white, bone.

The Chargers have five basic colors: yellow, white, light blue, medium blue and dark blue (and I'm not sure if the yellow changes).

The Rams will always be blue, white and yellow; sometimes bone (which is being phased out).

The Chargers will always be white, yellow, and one of three shades of blue, but none of those blues at the same time.

Ipso facto, the Rams are simpler.

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

A few things regarding the Dolphins:

When Shula took over (around the same time the NFL said the home team can wear white), he had the Dolphins wearing white at home for most day games (end of 1973 was the last of Aqua at home during the day vs the Lions) as a tactical advantage. The 9/16/73 home game vs SF had the road team nearly dehydrate on the field. SF QB John Brodie said as much. In the last few years, Miami has reintroduced Aqua home day games late in the season (mostly throwback unis) to appease the fanbase. 

As for the 1972 celebration, yes the SNF home game vs the Steelers will be the main celebration. However, past seasons show that Miami will don the throwbacks the maximum amount of times because the fans love it. I doubt we will see a September game in Miami with the Dolphins wearing Aqua. Tradition and making the road team bake on the sunny side of the field will pretty much make that a sure thing.

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Chargers have five basic colors: yellow, white, light blue, medium blue and dark blue (and I'm not sure if the yellow changes).

The Rams will always be blue, white and yellow; sometimes bone (which is being phased out).

The Chargers will always be white, yellow, and one of three shades of blue, but none of those blues at the same time.

Rams-

Blue-Blue

Blue-Bone

Blue-Yellow

White-Blue

White-Yellow

Bone-Bone

Bone-Blue

Bone-Yellow

Theoretically: White-Bone*

9* total combinations

Chargers-

P Blue-Yellow

P Blue-White

White-Yellow

White-White

R Blue-R Blue

N Blue-N Blue

6 total combinations

My point is, the Chargers alternates cannot be manipulated into the regular home and away and they only see the field twice a season (once each). On the other side, the Rams alternate, whether it’s white or bone, CAN be manipulated into the regular set at will.

Bottom line is, both teams utilize blue and yellow damn near beautifully. However, you’d have a better idea what the Chargers will wear week to week compared to the Rams.

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Chargers navy and Royal sets they can’t wear all the time though. Even last year the navy and Royal were only worn once a piece. So it’s not like they just come out wearing the navy jersey with white or yellow pants one day and then Royal the next. You can expect them to wear powder blue 90% of the season.

• Like 4

I'm not explaining myself well. But I also think it's not really that difficult.

What are the Rams' colors?

What are the Chargers' colors?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I vote only baseball teams should wear WAH.  I guess because most opposing teams uniforms are gray.  In that way it's not as colorful as other sports.

Since teams wear their alternate home jerseys that are colored rather than a new version of a white jersey I don't see why that has to be a set in stone rule. Just make sure they aren't wearing some hue of the same color (Navy blue vs royal/sky clue or Columbia blue) 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

The white jersey in gridiron football at the time served the same purpose as it did for football across the atlantic. It was the club's choice to pick a primary jersey color and some would choose white like the bears of the 1930s. White as an de facto and mandated away color was a result to optimize contrast on black and white television screens.

I think you might be right. Checking the GUD, it looks like whites became the sole change uniform in the mid 50's which meshes more clearly with the expansion of TV broadcasts. Right at the same time as sleeve numbers.

11 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'll always defer to the native Floridians when it comes to whether wearing white vs. wearing a color makes a difference when it comes to the heat.

While I can't speak to if it matters much if at all when you're under a bunch of pads and stuff, when I'm just walking outside there is a massive difference between wearing white and dark colors. There's less of one when it's something lighter like orange or yellow, but it's definitely still hotter in those as well.

I don't know if there's been any actual studies done on that to see if it's an actual effect or just imagined, but regardless at least 50% of my shirts are white or light gray because of it.

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Carolina joined that group in recent years and I hate it. Both of their blue and black sets (over grey pants, of course) are superior and Carolina was once a proud team that nailed its branding right out of the gate, both timeless and classic at the same time. Now? Who the hell knows; they look collegiate and that's definitely not a compliment.

I mean, you can go back to their inaugural season where they didn’t wear black until after wearing white ten times. Last season was the first time they wore black at home during a day game before week 7 (week 6 vs the vikings). They’ve always done this.

I also found that they definitely used to wear their alt blues the normal two times per year despite using it in the preseason also. Idk what’s going on now.

• Like 1