DP's MLB Concepts (Rangers added 5/14)

DP487

Hey everyone, longtime lurker, first-time poster. A couple years back, I spent the summer playing around with some MLB uniform concepts as a passion project. But after going through them again recently, I realized there were a few things I should have done differently and decided to go back and re-do them.

I'll be posting here by division, beginning with the NL East and moving west. Please let me know what you think and if there's anything I could change or add to them!

NL EAST:

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins (Road grays update) (Orange alts update)

New York Mets (Black alts added)

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL CENTRAL:

Chicago Cubs (Blue alts update)

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers (Baby blue alts added)

Pittsburgh Pirates (Yellow alts update)

St. Louis Cardinals (Home/road update)

NL WEST:

Arizona Diamondbacks (Red sets added)

Colorado Rockies (v2)

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres (Logo/home/road update)

San Francisco Giants

AL EAST:

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox (Road update)

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL CENTRAL:

Chicago White Sox (Home and alts update)

Cleveland Spiders

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins (Road and alt update)

AL WEST:

Anaheim Angels (Secondary logo update)

Houston Astros

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners (Alt update)

Texas Rangers

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

ATLANTA BRAVES

I've always liked the Braves' look, which has been largely consistent since I was a kid in the early '90s. Still, I feel like some subtle tweaks would help the uniform pop just a little more.

What I did was take the main logo back to their Milwaukee days by switching the tomahawk to blue, which I feel helps it stand out from the script a little more. I've always liked the sleeve feather from the '70s, so I brought that back as an alternate logo applied to all sets.

I've never been a fan of the all-blue caps on the road, so I decided to keep the red brims on the road set. On the red alts, I incorporated more gold to add a little more color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

2 hours ago, DP487 said:

ATLANTA BRAVES

I've always liked the Braves' look, which has been largely consistent since I was a kid in the early '90s. Still, I feel like some subtle tweaks would help the uniform pop just a little more.

What I did was take the main logo back to their Milwaukee days by switching the tomahawk to blue, which I feel helps it stand out from the script a little more. I've always liked the sleeve feather from the '70s, so I brought that back as an alternate logo applied to all sets.

I've never been a fan of the all-blue caps on the road, so I decided to keep the red brims on the road set. On the red alts, I incorporated more gold to add a little more color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Love these. Almost feels like one of the nba mixtape jerseys with all the different eras of braves jerseys combined into one amazing jersey. Great Job!

11 hours ago, BiggityBerfa said:

Love these. Almost feels like one of the nba mixtape jerseys with all the different eras of braves jerseys combined into one amazing jersey. Great Job!

Thanks! I've seen some concepts that are mashups of old and new sets and I have a soft spot for retro uniforms, so that was a huge inspiration.

MIAMI MARLINS

I really like what the Marlins are doing now, but I've always preferred teal as part of their set — as do the Marlins fans I've talked to. When I first did this project in 2020, I used pink as an alternate to play up the Miami Vice connection, but after seeing the positive reaction to their City Connect sets, I thought it would be cool to combine the teal from the old with that striking red-orange from their new alts.

Their current logo annoys me a little as it has the script "Miami" going across the bottom; doesn't even use the team name. I feel the fish logo speaks for itself, so I removed "Miami" from the logo with some help from a friend; now it's basically identical to the sleeve logo the team wears now.

spacer.png

On the home sets, I added a teal brim as a sort of throwback the team's early years when they wore different colored brims (albeit the colors swapped with the crown). The home sets also use the team name rather than the city, and the numbering on all sets has been changed to match the script.

My Marlins concepts probably have the most alternate sets of any team I've done on this project, which is pretty on-brand for this team. Personally, the teal is my favorite, but the team has also become synonymous with black jerseys since the late '90s.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

The braves look perfect, no complaints. The marlins are close, I think the all black cap isn't necessary, the road grays could benefit from that teal brim to give them some color. If you were to keep the all black cap, I think it looks nice paired with the alternates, but I would stick with the teal brim on the road. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, jaytavo305 said:

The braves look perfect, no complaints. The marlins are close, I think the all black cap isn't necessary, the road grays could benefit from that teal brim to give them some color. If you were to keep the all black cap, I think it looks nice paired with the alternates, but I would stick with the teal brim on the road. 

Thanks! And I agree, I think I might have stayed a little too close to what they actually wear with the road grays. Adding some teal into the brim really helps.

spacer.png

NEW YORK METS

To me, pinstripes are an integral part of the Mets' identity. They've toyed with not using pinstripes on home sets in the past, but it just never looked right to me. I kept the home pinstripes largely the same, but added some piping to the neck and sleeves for a little more color and swapped out the shoulder patch from their primary logo to the interlocking NY. The same goes for the road grays; the solid blue placket piping is gone in favor of the orange and blue neck/sleeve piping, which again adds a little more color to the set.

For the alternates, I brought back the iconic racing stripes the team wore in the '80s and early '90s with a palette swap between the blue and orange jerseys. The orange alts also use the "New York" script the Mets wore for all of one season — I understand why they got rid of it on the road grays, but I think it works nicely as an alternate.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Mets added 1/17)
On 1/15/2022 at 11:16 AM, DP487 said:

Thanks! I've seen some concepts that are mashups of old and new sets and I have a soft spot for retro uniforms, so that was a huge inspiration.

MIAMI MARLINS

I really like what the Marlins are doing now, but I've always preferred teal as part of their set — as do the Marlins fans I've talked to. When I first did this project in 2020, I used pink as an alternate to play up the Miami Vice connection, but after seeing the positive reaction to their City Connect sets, I thought it would be cool to combine the teal from the old with that striking red-orange from their new alts.

Their current logo annoys me a little as it has the script "Miami" going across the bottom; doesn't even use the team name. I feel the fish logo speaks for itself, so I removed "Miami" from the logo with some help from a friend; now it's basically identical to the sleeve logo the team wears now.

spacer.png

On the home sets, I added a teal brim as a sort of throwback the team's early years when they wore different colored brims (albeit the colors swapped with the crown). The home sets also use the team name rather than the city, and the numbering on all sets has been changed to match the script.

My Marlins concepts probably have the most alternate sets of any team I've done on this project, which is pretty on-brand for this team. Personally, the teal is my favorite, but the team has also become synonymous with black jerseys since the late '90s.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I love this. One request would be to add an orange/red-billed hat to go with the orange/red jersey. The teal clashes. 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:45 PM, BJ Sands said:

I love this. One request would be to add an orange/red-billed hat to go with the orange/red jersey. The teal clashes. 

Definitely! I do think the orange brims adds a little more variance with the caps, which is always a plus.

spacer.png

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

I've always loved the Phillies' maroon look — it was such a unique look and set them apart from every other red team. That said, I prefer the current logos and script to the logo of the '70s and '80s. So, first order of business was to combine those two elements. As an added effort to marry the old and new, I took the current "Phillies" script and combined it with the secondary logo the team used from 1984-1991 (seen here being worn by the great Mike Schmidt).

spacer.png

No team wore the baby blues quite as well as the Phillies, so I kept that as part of their identity and borrowed a page from davidmiller5's Combination of Eras series by using a muted baby blue for the road set.

The Saturday Night Specials are likely the most infamous uniform set in Phillies history, but executed slightly differently, I feel like those jerseys could have worked as fine alternates. So, I kept the maroon tops with the modern "P" logo, dropped the chest numbers, and paired it with the pinstripe pants.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Phillies addded 1/21)

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

I honestly don't mind the look the Nationals have used since 2011, but it does seem a little formulaic for a franchise with such a colorful uniform and logo history as them. So, I gave their primary caps a pinwheel look reminiscent of their days as the Expos and combined that cap with a modified version of the white "Nationals" jersey the team has worn since 2019 spring training. The double piping around the neck and sleeves on the home and road sets serves as a subtle throwback to the Expos' dual-colored racing stripes from the '80s.

The road sets have been adjusted to use more blue — no more red brims — including blue lettering on the wordmark and numbers. The red alts have been largely unchanged with the exception of a modified version of the "DC" logo the team has used for its history in Washington; I thought this logo worked as an excellent alternate, so it's been applied as a sleeve jersey on all sets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Nationals added 1/24)

CHICAGO CUBS

While I didn't change much with the Cubs' home pinstripes, I decided to roll back the script on the road uniforms to the wordmark they used in the early '90s. While changed their red numbers to blue to match the jersey script a little better, I decided to add a red stroke that serves a dual purpose — this stroke sets their look apart from other blue teams like the Royals and Dodgers, and it also incorporates a little bit of the team's color scheme (see this Ernie Banks photo for reference).

spacer.png

My favorite part of this redesign is a new secondary logo I created. I like how the modern Cubbie Bear is on top of a C instead of just a red circle, but I prefer the look of the bear from the '80s. So, I just combined those two elements by placing the bear on top of the cap logo, then adding a small stroke (I think 1px) to make the bear pop out a little more. This mashed-up logo serves as a sleeve patch on the home and road sets, but also serves as the jersey logo for the blue alts.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 3

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Cubs added 1/27)

I’m curious how the CHICAGO word mark would look with a slight curve. A straight line is a little odd.  

I’d also like to see the circle Cubs logo on the chest of the blue alt and the new secondary on the left sleeve. And if you decide to add piping on that jersey, you should mimic the blue road uniforms from the ‘80s. 

spacer.png

Other than that, you’re cooking with gas. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, loxley44 said:

I really love this Cubs set but the “C” gets lost behind the Cubby bear. Just looks incomplete on the right side. Thank you for the red on the roads! Chefs kiss!

Thanks! The challenge with the secondary logo was balancing the negative space between the C and the Cubbie bear, the result being something like this:

spacer.png

I honestly thought I wasn't going to like the negative space between the C and the Cubbie Bear, but in this case I think it works all right.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, coco1997 said:

I think you need some kind of red and/or white piping on the Cubs alt. The complete lack of trim on their current blue alt is my biggest problem with it. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:41 PM, BiggityBerfa said:

I haven’t seen this thread in awhile so I’ll give my two cents.

Marlins: Looks great and way better than their current set

Mets: Very good although I would love to see a black set

Phillies: Perfection.

Nationals: Perfection.

Cubs: Feels a little bland, could use some more red

21 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I’m curious how the CHICAGO word mark would look with a slight curve. A straight line is a little odd.  

I’d also like to see the circle Cubs logo on the chest of the blue alt and the new secondary on the left sleeve. And if you decide to add piping on that jersey, you should mimic the blue road uniforms from the ‘80s. 

spacer.png

Other than that, you’re cooking with gas. 

Agreed on all counts — especially regarding the '80s road, one of my favorite Cubs unis of all time. While this second version isn't a stitch-for-stitch repro of the original, I think it does a solid job paying homage to those Ryno, Hawk, and co. while also adding some much-needed color to the set.

spacer.png

As far as the black Mets unis go, I have to admit I was never a big fan of the Mets' black jerseys, though I do understand they're very popular.  I tried a version with the racing stripes like the other alts, but it just looked... off. So, I went with the neck/sleeve piping like the home/road sets to add a little color. For never having been a big fan of the black alts, I really do like how these turned out.

spacer.png

CINCINNATI REDS

There's nothing really wrong with the Cincinnati Reds' current uniforms, but since the '90s, they've had this weird love affair with the color black, at one time even making it the primary color for the away caps. That makes no sense to me; your team name is also your color, ya goofs. Besides, their record in their current uniforms has been less than stellar; they've had three playoff appearances since 2007, and promptly made a first-round exit every time.

So, I took the Reds back to their most successful period—the '70s, when they won four pennants and two World Series titles. I took the classic pullover look from that era and applied it to a modern button-up template, then simplified the cap and jersey logos as well as the number and nameplate fonts. No stroke, no drop shadow, no black, just like when guys like Pete Rose and Johnny Bench made the Big Red Machine one of the dominant teams of their time.
spacer.png

What I'm most proud about with this concept is the new primary logo. I've always liked the pitching Mr. Red logo they used from '68 to '92, but anyone who's anyone knows Mr. Red needs a mustache. So I took the current Mr. Red logo the team uses as a secondary logo, updated the cap, and applied it to that classic logo. Probably my favorite logo I redesigned in this whole series.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Reds added 2/1)
8 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Any chance of you doing any defunct concepts like the Houston Colt .45s, Montreal Expos etc.?

I've played around with the Expos and have been wanting to do something with the St. Louis Browns. I'll keep this idea on the backburner — thanks!

MILWAUKEE BREWERS

In an era where most NFL redesigns have fallen flat, every MLB team has — if you'll pardon the expression — knocked it out the park, and none more so than the Milwaukee Brewers. Their new cream primaries are as close to a perfect redesign as I’ve ever seen, and the redesigned classic logos are an excellent throwback to the teams of yesteryear. The only thing I would change on the home set is adding pinstripes to get them a little closer to that '80s aesthetic.

One thing I don’t like about their new uniforms, however, is the road wordmark. While it matches their home wordmark, that classic script “Milwaukee” just looks so much better. So I recolored that and applied it to the road set here. Navy alts have been modified to use "Brewers" as the jersey script and paired it with the home cream pants, making it ideal for both home/road use.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 4

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Brewers added 2/6)

Great job here! Glad you kept navy. Though I would recommend a powder blue road alt to go with the gold front hat though.

Also, I wonder how the current numbers would look on these. To me that's the strongest part of their rebrand. 

18 hours ago, NicDB said:

Great job here! Glad you kept navy. Though I would recommend a powder blue road alt to go with the gold front hat though.

Also, I wonder how the current numbers would look on these. To me that's the strongest part of their rebrand. 

Thanks! And I agree on the baby blues. Went back and forth on how to do this; ultimately settled on keeping the current navy as opposed to the old, bright blue. I feel like this gives it kind of a modern take on a classic look, similar to what the Cardinals did with their Saturday road alts.

spacer.png

As far as the numbering goes, I totally agree, but unfortunately the font package I downloaded didn't have the new Brewers font and I can't find it anywhere. Jersey M54 is kinda close, but it probably would look nicer with the authentic font.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

The Pittsburgh Pirates confound me. They have a nickname that lends itself to more cool imagery than perhaps any team in Major League Baseball. Yet, the team currently uses just the cap logo as their primary logo. It seems to be a trend lately in MLB — the Padres and Rockies have done the same thing — and it's so frustratingly boring, especially for a team that uses the jolly roger as a victory banner. So, I decided to make that the new primary logo, along with jersey logo. Instant improvement. In addition, I used the jolly roger by itself as a secondary sleeve patch and applied it on all uniform sets.

The home and road sets stayed more or less the same, albeit with a new font on the nameplates to match the numbering, but I removed the outline from the numbers on the black jerseys; essentially just some decluttering. I also added a second alt with a yellow top as an homage to the Stargell-led teams of the '70s.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 5

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg