DP's MLB Concepts (Rangers added 5/14)

DP487

The NY on the Mets' sleeve falls a bit flat IMO, it kinda gets lost the way it is.  Like it was a last second afterthought.  Mr. Met would have been a better choice if you weren't using the skyline.

The black jersey feels like it wasn't your best effort either, it really needs an additional white outline on the script and numbers. 

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 4/10/2022 at 12:08 AM, BJ Sands said:

I love what you did with the White Sox, but I was wondering if you could move the front numbers on the home and first alternate back to lined up with the SOX logo like it is now. You might have to move the SOX logo down a tad, too. 

I also feel like the script CHICAGO wordmark should be a little bigger and bolder. But again, these are small quibbles. 

Something like this? Tried to get it as close to what they wear now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, Discrim said:

The NY on the Mets' sleeve falls a bit flat IMO, it kinda gets lost the way it is.  Like it was a last second afterthought.  Mr. Met would have been a better choice if you weren't using the skyline.

The black jersey feels like it wasn't your best effort either, it really needs an additional white outline on the script and numbers. 

Honestly the NY on the sleeve was just to mix things up a little from what they currently wear. Plus, I felt like the NY gave it a little bit of a throwback look to the uniforms the Giants used to wear waaaaay back in their New York days.

I might revisit the black alts sometime down the road when I can spend a little more time on adding extra layers to individual logos.

10 hours ago, VyCade said:

Nice to see some orange in the Tigers' home to spice things up a bit.  The current home isn't bad per se, but the fact that there's no orange at all kinda bugs me.

Right? For a team called the Tigers, you'd expect to see at least a little orange on the home set.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS

The Royals have had a love affair with baby blue since the '70s and it's suited them better than probably any team in the majors. To start, I incorporated more baby blue into the uniforms, including a subtle stroke on the script, numbers, and lettering on the home and away sets.

All uniforms use a recolored version of the roundel logo the team used from 2002-2005 (sans black). Meanwhile, the primary logo has been recolored to the original orange-ish color that was introduced along with the team.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Royals added 4/11)
On 4/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, BJ Sands said:

Bullseye on the White Sox. I’ve never understood why the diamond logo has never been on the home jersey. 

Thanks! It was definitely one of those Mandela effect things for me, haha.

MINNESOTA TWINS

The Twins’ recent attempts to incorporate gold into their color scheme doesn’t quite look awful, but for some reason it doesn’t quite look right. So, my first step here was to eliminate gold from the secondary logo and wordmarks, applying navy or red where applicable.

As for the uniforms themselves, pinstripes are back. The look is classic; it’s how they came to the Twin Cities, and it’s the look they wore when they won two World Series in ‘87 and ‘91. I applied the Twins wordmark they wore from 2010-2014 (essentially the same as the ‘80s wordmark, but with a thicker stroke).

Pinstripes are also back on the road uniforms—a look they haven’t worn since 2009. In addition, I recolored the road script to match the home wordmark. On the alternate set, I incorporated the old M logo the team wore on their caps from 1987-2012, just for a bit of nostalgia.

The goal here was just to revamp a classic look. Happy with how this set turned out.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 4

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Twins added 4/19)
14 hours ago, DP487 said:

Thanks! It was definitely one of those Mandela effect things for me, haha.

MINNESOTA TWINS

The Twins’ recent attempts to incorporate gold into their color scheme doesn’t quite look awful, but for some reason it doesn’t quite look right. So, my first step here was to eliminate gold from the secondary logo and wordmarks, applying navy or red where applicable.

As for the uniforms themselves, pinstripes are back. The look is classic; it’s how they came to the Twin Cities, and it’s the look they wore when they won two World Series in ‘87 and ‘91. I applied the Twins wordmark they wore from 2010-2014 (essentially the same as the ‘80s wordmark, but with a thicker stroke).

Pinstripes are also back on the road uniforms—a look they haven’t worn since 2009. In addition, I recolored the road script to match the home wordmark. On the alternate set, I incorporated the old M logo the team wore on their caps from 1987-2012, just for a bit of nostalgia.

The goal here was just to revamp a classic look. Happy with how this set turned out.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Nice work, but I have a few thoughts on this:

While it's true the Twins wore pinstripes when they moved to Minnesota, they did not wear them on the road: the uniforms were gray and used the same Twins script as on the home jerseys. When they reintroduced pinstripes in the '87 redesign, they added pinstripes to the gray, but used an all-caps block font. It was odd because it didn't match anything else in the set, but I presume it was used because it's way easier to read than the cursive Minnesota script you're using now. I just don't think that wordmark is as legible on pinstripes. 

Also, (and this is more of a general thought, not specific to your concept) I've always felt the current Minnesota road script was a little out of place. On the surface, it looks as if it should fit in, but really the only similarity it has to the home wordmark is that they both have an underline. Otherwise, one wordmark is cursive, other home mark isn't. 

I suspect that the home TWINS mark just doesn't translate as well into MINNESOTA, and likely in a smaller type size. That's why I think I'd prefer to see the Twins to adopt a modernized version of their original 1961-1986 script rather than build off the World Series era wordmark, at least for primaries. That more modern-era look at this point could be treated as a throwback alt.

And as for the caps, I never want to see the "M" logo retired. I want it permanently part of the set. But I don't like the idea of pairing it with the TC like you have  on these alts. It would best be used as part of a retro-inspired alt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, gosioux76 said:

Nice work, but I have a few thoughts on this:

While it's true the Twins wore pinstripes when they moved to Minnesota, they did not wear them on the road: the uniforms were gray and used the same Twins script as on the home jerseys. When they reintroduced pinstripes in the '87 redesign, they added pinstripes to the gray, but used an all-caps block font. It was odd because it didn't match anything else in the set, but I presume it was used because it's way easier to read than the cursive Minnesota script you're using now. I just don't think that wordmark is as legible on pinstripes. 

Also, (and this is more of a general thought, not specific to your concept) I've always felt the current Minnesota road script was a little out of place. On the surface, it looks as if it should fit in, but really the only similarity it has to the home wordmark is that they both have an underline. Otherwise, one wordmark is cursive, other home mark isn't. 

I suspect that the home TWINS mark just doesn't translate as well into MINNESOTA, and likely in a smaller type size. That's why I think I'd prefer to see the Twins to adopt a modernized version of their original 1961-1986 script rather than build off the World Series era wordmark, at least for primaries. That more modern-era look at this point could be treated as a throwback alt.

And as for the caps, I never want to see the "M" logo retired. I want it permanently part of the set. But I don't like the idea of pairing it with the TC like you have  on these alts. It would best be used as part of a retro-inspired alt. 

On the road set, I agree. The script does get lost in the pinstripes. The easy solution here was to keep the pinstripes (again, '90s nostalgia shining through here) and swap the script "Minnesota" out for the block letters the Twins used in the World Series years.

spacer.png

As for the alt, I kept the block M and swapped the jersey logo out with the "Twins" wordmark. The result is a set that's reminiscent of the BP/spring training set the team wore in the early '90s.

spacer.png

ANAHEIM ANGELS

First thing's first — they play in Anaheim. They're the Anaheim Angels. While I love their modern color scheme, I couldn't help but think how great it would look with the hues they donned when they debuted in 1961. This set uses a navy blue crown and red brim like the Halos of the '60s, '70s, '80s, and early '90s. Speaking of halos, the halo over the A has been color corrected from silver to the classic gold color they originally used.

The Angels are one of a few teams in MLB today who keep the team name on their away jerseys rather than the city name, so I took the Anaheim script from the early 2000s and tweaked the colors a little to match the current color scheme.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 9

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Angels added 5/1)

The secondary logo for the Angels would probably be better without the team name on top (especially as a sleeve patch). The fewer the letters on a sleeve patch, the better. And the outlined field would probably look better with a complete solid yellow line instead of the alternating yellow/white (I understand what you're trying to do, but cleaner/simpler might look better). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Angels set looks great, though the yellow on the secondary logo looks pretty jarring, it would be a big improvement to just have the Halo in yellow on it.

Speaking of Halos, I would be interested to see how the set would look with the gold used on the 50th anniversary jerseys or the sparkly silver effect on the 2002 ones.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:23 AM, WSU151 said:

The secondary logo for the Angels would probably be better without the team name on top (especially as a sleeve patch). The fewer the letters on a sleeve patch, the better. And the outlined field would probably look better with a complete solid yellow line instead of the alternating yellow/white (I understand what you're trying to do, but cleaner/simpler might look better). 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:32 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The Angels set looks great, though the yellow on the secondary logo looks pretty jarring, it would be a big improvement to just have the Halo in yellow on it.

Speaking of Halos, I would be interested to see how the set would look with the gold used on the 50th anniversary jerseys or the sparkly silver effect on the 2002 ones.

Good call on the secondary logo. Cleaning up the team name and getting rid of the yellow on the base paths helps the logo stand on its own a little more.

spacer.png

To the point about gold, when I went through these redesigns the first time a couple years ago, I tried using gold as a secondary color and it really didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped.

spacer.png

HOUSTON ASTROS

When the Houston Astros brought back their classic orange-and-blue motif in 2013, I was ecstatic. It was definitely a welcome change over the tired red-and-black uniforms, and was a long-needed identity revamp from the Astros of the early ‘10s.

First and foremost: The Tequila Sunrise is back, baby. I added a few more rings to the current primary logo to match the Astros’ classic rainbow gut uniforms, along with a brand new secondary logo and some slick new socks — which are frankly my favorite part of this entire set.

While I love their current home set, the lack of an orange cap is disappointing. Enter their new home cap, a callback to the cap they wore in the Astrodome from 1971-1982. While I’m a fan of their current wordmark, I miss how the old uniforms of the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s incorporated a star somewhere in the logo. So, I took their jersey script and added a star in the lower right similar to the jersey logos used from 1975-1993. I also applied this new wordmark to their new(ish) alternate jersey.

As for the road uniform, I gave them an all-blue cap — again, calling back to those ‘80s teams — and managed to work in some more orange with a recolored piping.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 3

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Astros added 5/3)

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

The A's have one of the most unique looks in MLB. That classic green-and-yellow color scheme is unparalleled. But since the '80s, the A's have drifted toward a darker shade of green rather than the kelly green they wore when they were one of the most dominant teams of the '70s. On this set, I brought that bright green back as the primary color, similar to the green alts the A's brought back in the last couple seasons.

The home uniform incorporates a new sleeve and neck outline, which also carries over to the road uniform. The road uniforms also now wear the same yellow-brimmed caps as the road set.

The yellow alts now have a double-striped outline on the neck and sleeves that's more reminiscent of the yellow tops the team wore in the '70s. The green tops now wear yellow-brimmed caps, and also have new double-striped outlines on the neck and sleeves, another callback to the Swingin' A's.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 6

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (A's added 5/5)
On 2022-05-04 at 3:09 AM, DP487 said:

To the point about gold, when I went through these redesigns the first time a couple years ago, I tried using gold as a secondary color and it really didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped.

spacer.png

Sorry,  I meant either Gold/Sparkle effect silver for just the halo on the wordmark, cap logo and secondary logo instead of the yellow.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:39 AM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Sorry,  I meant either Gold/Sparkle effect silver for just the halo on the wordmark, cap logo and secondary logo instead of the yellow.

Ahh, gotcha. Well, as it turns out, I did that with the previous series as well, but unfortunately I don't have the JPEGs or even the original PSDs for those. I will say it worked much better on the logos than the uniforms.

SEATTLE MARINERS

I went back and forth for a while trying to decide what to do with the Seattle Mariners' color scheme. On one hand, blue and yellow has a classic, nostalgic feel to it. On the other, teal is a look that's totally unique to Seattle, and is more in keeping with the city's nickname, the Emerald City. Ultimately, I decided to mix the old with the new, and I'm glad I did. The trident logo with the teal color scheme looks phenomenal.

All the sets here feature the classic logos and wordmarks the team wore in the '70s, but with the color scheme Ken Griffey Jr. made popular. I still like the compass logo, so I decided to keep that as a secondary logo and use it as a sleeve patch. The home set also now uses a teal-brimmed cap, making the all-navy cap a road-only option.

The teal alts now use blue numbers with a double stroke around the edges to match the "Mariners" wordmark, plus white and navy piping on the neck and sleeves.

I may go back and do this one again in blue and yellow, but as it is right now, I'm really happy with how this turned out.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Mariners added 5/12)
On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, NicDB said:

You should make the script and numbers white on the teal jersey. Navy isn't very legible.

For sure, something like this?

spacer.png

TEXAS RANGERS

A revamped uniform deserves a revamped logo. The Texas Rangers' 2020 redesigned uniforms are reminiscent of the team's look from 1986-1993, but I was disappointed when they didn't update the logo along with it. So, I took the Texas logo the team used through those years and applied the revamped "Rangers" script to create a brand new primary logo.

Since the mid-'90s, the Rangers have seemed to have trouble deciding if they're a blue or red team. With this set, I incorporated both red and blue on the caps similar to the team's look from 1972-1985. I also added some red piping to add a little more red to the uniform. That piping also carries over to the road uniforms. I would have liked to use a "Texas" script that matched the style of the home wordmark, but the Rangers have never used anything like that, so I used the updated "Texas" wordmark they've used since 2014.

On the blue alts, I added the same red piping for some contrast, but changed the numbers and nameplate to blue to better match the wordmark on the front.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
  • Like 2

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg

• DP487 changed the title to DP's MLB Concepts (Rangers added 5/14)

The white script on the teal jersey is an improvement. I like the direction you took with Seattle overall. Their current set is bogged down by way too many outlines on scripts and logos and your version simplifies that while also using more teal. Great job.

I am also intrigued by the orange cap at home, blue hat on the road version of the Astros. The incorporation of yellow into the set as an accent color is also well done.

Your A's set should be the set the A's actually wear. Kelly green > forest green. Yellow bill on every cap. It's perfect.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, Hawkeye15 said:

The white script on the teal jersey is an improvement. I like the direction you took with Seattle overall. Their current set is bogged down by way too many outlines on scripts and logos and your version simplifies that while also using more teal. Great job.

I am also intrigued by the orange cap at home, blue hat on the road version of the Astros. The incorporation of yellow into the set as an accent color is also well done.

Your A's set should be the set the A's actually wear. Kelly green > forest green. Yellow bill on every cap. It's perfect.

Thanks! There's definitely a sentimental value to the Astros, what with my dad trying to turn me into an Astros fan when I was a little kid.

I should probably add, that concludes this series. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered their feedback — I really appreciate all the kind words and honestly how constructive everyone is on this forum. I'm already thinking of some new series to work on, so hopefully I'm able to find some time in the near future to keep at it.

9i8p4m.jpg

mt71br.jpg

2hx7nnt.jpg