2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Blue Jackets was not only a play on Yellow Jackets, but also was based on the Augusta Green Jackets' popularity in MiLB, no? 

I enjoy seeing Stinger on goalie masks and other tertiary items even if neon green/volt no longer fits the identity. 

I don't think the insect theme was even on their mind when they came up with the name. According to the team, this is the official meaning behind the name.

The Blue Jackets name was selected because the name pays homage to Ohio’s contributions to American history and the great pride and patriotism exhibited by its citizens, especially during the Civil War as both the state of Ohio and the city of Columbus were significantly influential on the Union Army. Ohio contributed more of its population to the Union Army than any other state, while many of the Blue Coats worn by the Union soldiers were manufactured in Columbus.

Having a bug logo/mascot was something added after the fact. They already had to stretch the logic to think "blue jackets is sort of like yellow jackets, which are a type of wasp". It was just the way sports branding was done in the NHL when it came to new teams in the '90s/early-'00s. The Sharks broke merchandise sale records when they launched, so the league wanted teams following that model. Ottawa's original Peace Tower wordmark was rejected by the league because they didn't think it would sell well with kids, so they had to come up with the gladiator. The rest of the new teams either had an animal mascot/logo (Ducks, Panthers, Coyotes, Thrashers, Predators, Wild), or some sort of extreme weather brand (Lightning, Avalanche, Hurricanes).

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, tBBP said:

And now that I think about it...I'm curious as to what a navy, slate blue (or whatever that lighter blue is called), off-white and volt colorway would look like for the Beej... 🤔🤔

It's sharp!

spacer.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 7/25/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ridleylash said:

For as much hate as the fisherman jerseys got, it's a million times better than almost all alternates they've had the past 10 years. Find a way to make the NOB and numbers fit without warping them and I think they'd be on to something cool.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah such a classy and timeless franchise. Could have sworn they'd been around since the 1700s when they starting wearing that generic pseudo-retro trendy cashgrab alternate lol

You're grasping at straws

"Loud, bright jerseys and agressive logo" You sure you're talking about the Panthers?

spacer.png

To be serious? I legit like that logo. It's certainly not great by any technical measure but it has a unique colour scheme, and as I've said before I think it's at least more interesting than either of the primary logos they've come up with since. I'm not sure I'd want it back full-time now but I do think they would've been a bit better served by sticking with it instead of scrapping it for the generic "CJB" logo before ever playing a game.

That aside? Count me on Team Cannon. I've wanted that to be the base of their full-time identity since it was revealed a decade ago. Firing a goal cannon's already their trademark thing, why not lean all-in on it? (Just replace the vintage white on it with actual white first.)
"But it was just made to cash in on a trend!" A trend that has since fizzled out entirely; that it's the last of the group remaining says a lot, IMO, to its staying power.
"But it's O6 Dressup!" Genuinely, sincerely, who gives a :censored:? Especially outside of this message board? A good look is a good look, especially since they did away with the overtly-square font it originally had. 

• Like 9

"Original Six Dressup" was originally meant as a slight to the Lightning and Hurricanes, when they decided to just ape the Maple Leafs and Red Wings' identities.

But it quickly got hijacked by peens who just wanted to hate on traditionally styled hockey sweaters, no matter the team or design.

Seriously, what O6 team does Columbus' alternate look like? None of them. So it isn't O6 Dressup. Shame the term had to get ruined, but here we are.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

I’ll never understand why people are so against “Original Six dress up.” There’s a reason teams are turning to classical-styled jerseys: They just look good. Modernized jersey design sucks. If teams didn’t play “O6 dress up” and introduce classical-styles designs, then we would still have envelope-pushing jerseys like this in the league:

cut.jpg

december-11-2009-san-jose-ca-usa-dallas-

GYI0063203207.jpg

I can concede that the Tampa Bay Maple Leafs identity sucks, but it’s better than that mess. As long as the brand looks better on the whole, I’m fine with teams adopting traditional identities. If modern teams had kept pushing the envelope and refused to play “O6 dress up” then 75% of the league would still be in their Reebok Edge jerseys.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

Tampa Bay could've found a happy medium. Their Reverse Retro shows that they could've just updated their original look to the modern day. The problem with Tampa Bay going with such a traditional look is that there's no precedent for that. It's not like Minnesota where the state has a long and storied history so the team wearing a very traditional look isn't out of the ordinary. Tampa is a team of the 90s in a non-traditional market so they don't need to try so hard to look like a 100-year-old team, but at the same time, they don't need to look like a gaudy 90s monstrosity. The first Edge set was, like so many others, a mistake. They learned from it but they didn't have to head in the direction that they did. The Oilers and Islanders both ditched their awful Edge sets and went with looks that looked better and worked for them. The Lightning didn't because Steve Yzerman wanted to ape the Original Six, much like how black and gold were so prominent in the Ducks' rebrand because Brian Burke wanted the team to look like West Point.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

"Original Six Dressup" was originally meant as a slight to the Lightning and Hurricanes, when they decided to just ape the Maple Leafs and Red Wings' identities.

But it quickly got hijacked by peens who just wanted to hate on traditionally styled hockey sweaters, no matter the team or design.

Seriously, what O6 team does Columbus' alternate look like? None of them. So it isn't O6 Dressup. Shame the term had to get ruined, but here we are.

It's the only sport we do that for too. It's a really weird, really tired, often incorrectly used term. It started to get shot at any newer team who used lace-up collars and horizontal hem stripes. Maybe my most hated CCSLCism?  

I knew we'd lost the plot of "Original Six Dressup" when someone declared the Panthers (one of my favorite examples of subtle modernity done right) were playing O6DU for daring to use a chest stripe. 

• Like 9

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

It's the only sport we do that for too. It's a really weird, really tired, often incorrectly used term. It started to get shot at any newer team who used lace-up collars and horizontal hem stripes. Maybe my most hated CCSLCism?  

I knew we'd lost the plot of "Original Six Dressup" when someone declared the Panthers (one of my favorite examples of subtle modernity done right) were playing O6DU for daring to use a chest stripe. 

Well they were copying the canadiens by doing that, and with what some people call using vintage white or powder blue as O6DU I’d say it’s one of the more accurate examples.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 4

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

Well they were copying the canadiens by doing that, and with what some people call using vintage white or powder blue as O6DU I’d say it’s one of the more accurate examples.

Lost the plot. Nobody would mistake the Panthers for an O6 team, which is what Original 6 Dress-up means. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, Sport said:

Lost the plot. Nobody would mistake the Panthers for an O6 team, which is what Original 6 Dress-up means. 

To me, playing O6 dress up means trying to pretend your team is older and more prestigious than it actually is

Just seems insincere and fake. Just trying to cash in on a trend

The Wild should still be wearing their OG jerseys with the jagged numbers

I don't think the Panthers are doing that. Other than the chest stripe, it's not really a faux-retro uniform

Modern doesn't have to mean gimmicky like the templated RBK monstrosities. Modern is also Winnipeg and Vegas, both contemporary classics imo

In short;

Traditional =/= O6 dress up

Modern =/= gimmicky pseudo tech

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hard disagree there. I think the Wild have done well in getting away from that look in favor of being more traditional; they're in one of the most stable hockey markets in the country, after all, they can pull off an older look.

If anything, I think the Panthers should change it up; they're in a market where bright colors are the norm, so they should really embrace that instead of trying to look overly serious and stately; they're an ice hockey team in Florida, not Pickering or something.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

To me, playing O6 dress up means trying to pretend your team is older and more prestigious than it actually is

Just seems insincere and fake. Just trying to cash in on a trend

I don't think the Panthers are doing that. Other than the chest stripe, it's not really a faux-retro uniform

Modern doesn't have to mean gimmicky like the templated RBK monstrosities. Modern is also Winnipeg and Vegas, both contemporary classics imo

In short;

Modern =/= gimmicky pseudo tech

The Jets are literally a horizontally striped jersey with a roundel logo, just like the Columbus cannon jersey which I believe started this convo. Maybe it's just the cream color that makes you think its gimmicky

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

The Jets are literally a horizontally striped jersey with a roundel logo, just like the Columbus cannon jersey which I believe started this convo. Maybe it's just the cream color that makes you think its gimmicky

This is 100% accurate. The one big difference, though, is that the Jets logo is a roundel without words. The trend-chasing version of a roundel that Columbus uses follows the MLS badge model of wrapping the team's name around a symbol that could just as easily stand on its own. 

I rather like the use of cream, and I'm with a lot of you that suggest the "O6 dress up" criticism is perhaps unfounded.  I do, however, have a general dislike the use of roundels that feel the need to force words into a logo that doesn't need them. Save those for shoulder patches, if they're that necessary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

The "original six" is such a misleading term anyways. I am surprised nobody wants to cosplay as the Montreal Maroons or Quebec Bulldogs.

I mean the stripped down Coyotes look was almost identical to the Maroons lol.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

7 hours ago, Sport said:

Yeah that was bad.

For me it was when people accused the Stars of being "Original Six Dressup" with their current unis. Right, because a team founded in 1967 isn't allowed to look traditional.

Also which O6 team wore kelly green again?

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

That's not what the term was coined for though. The term was made to make fun of the Lightning and Hurricanes for trying to look like Leafs and Wings. IE actually trying to look like actual O6 teams.

A team wearing a traditionally styled uniform that is otherwise unique isn't "Original Six Dressup," or wasn't supposed to be anyway.

That was just... wearing a hockey uniform.

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Modern is also Winnipeg and Vegas

Winnipeg has basic arm and hem stripes and a logo. It's a very traditional look. :censored: they modelled their look off of the RCAF Flyers.

Vegas' template is pretty much Pittsburgh's from the 80s. Again, pretty traditional.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

You mean going with older and more traditional uniform designs tends to make you look kinda similar to one of the 6 oldest teams in the sport? 
gnYdUXE.png

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Give us an example, then, of a team with a "traditional" jersey design that can't possibly be construed as "Original Six Dressup"; and bear in mind that the Lightning, Panthers and Stars are already off the table.

• Like 1