2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

Even though “O6 dress-up” is a dumb concept on the whole, the Wild are by definition not an O6-looking team. Last I checked, none of the Original 6 have green prominently in their identity.

I agree with @Sport, the only real "Original 6 dress-up" are the Lightning because it was so deliberate and intentional to look like the Detroit Maple Wings.

Every other instance of supposed "Original 6 dress-up" are just teams looking at the platonic ideal of a hockey jersey, which most of that ideal stems from the Original 6 and "old time hockey", and then trying to emulate that ideal.

It's not Original 6 dress-up for a team to use Northwestern stripes or Brashier stripes or a chest stripe or a team colour/jersey colour/white/jersey colour/team colour pattern, that's just what a hockey jersey "is".

• Like 3

IEI5Tg1.png

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

A change the Wild could benefit from would be to lose the Machine font numbers and go with the number font used for the WC jerseys (which seem a bit more old-school and fit better with the older look). 

This would be a fantastic change. Even using the North Stars font would be better than the current font. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

In defense of Chicago, they've had A LOT of jerseys to have to produce the last few years, so I guess it'd be tough to expect perfection every time.  It's hard to mess up red and black... I don't HATE those, but they don't seem particularly great - I'm not a fan of text crests, the striping doesn't seem balanced/logical, and the head logo being on one shoulder (rather than both) are all "meh" to me.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

In defense of Chicago, they've had A LOT of jerseys to have to produce the last few years, so I guess it'd be tough to expect perfection every time.  It's hard to mess up red and black... I don't HATE those, but they don't seem particularly great - I'm not a fan of text crests, the striping doesn't seem balanced/logical, and the head logo being on one shoulder (rather than both) are all "meh" to me.

My biggest question, then, is that if they were so stumped for ideas in their own history, why not just do a Cougars-inspired fauxback? Vegas already set the precedent for using designs from past clubs the first go around, surely they could've just done that jersey in Hawks colors and called it a day.

This feels like a bootleg version of their 75th anniversary jersey.

• Like 3

Blackhawks still have a number of options in their history they could have pulled from.  A red version of the jerseys they wore from 26-34 or a red version of the jersey they wore in 34-35.  

Shouldn't have to come up with a faux RR jersey only the second time around for a team that have different jerseys in their history.

My unsolicited wantlist for next year's RR, since we're on the subject

Ana: Eggplant version of late 90s 3rd and 4th jerseys. Or eggplant Wild Wing

Ari: Hunter green Kachina

Bos: Anything as long as it's brown! 💩

Cgy: All-red Blasty! With red gear 

Col: Blue version of OG jerseys. Compelete with lighter shade of burgundy and black gear

Clb: Neon green jerseys. Why the hell not lol

Dal: Do the 2000s jerseys right this time! Black star patterned jersey with victory green gear 

Det: Just reverse the home jersey, including the logo

Edm: I wonder if a copper based jersey would look good... 👀

LAK: Purple OG jerseys with gold swapped for a sparkly silver

Mon: The Expos inspired RR rumours really got me excited, not gonna lie. Powder blue base? Montreal script? 

NYI: Teal Fisherman jerseys, obviously!

Ott: White version of 2000s black alternate

Phi: Black version of current/70s jerseys

Pit: White version of Robopen gradient!

SJS: Black version of OG jerseys, like those Starter fashion jerseys 👌

TB: Stealth version of storm alternate. Someone posted a concept on here, wish I could namedrop him but I completely forgot his username, it looked incredible! 😁

Wsh: OG jerseys in slate blue, bronze and black

Post yours!

21 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Ana: Eggplant version of late 90s 3rd and 4th jerseys. Or eggplant Wild Wing

Cgy: All-red Blasty! With red gear

Dal: Do the 2000s jerseys right this time! Black star patterned jersey with victory green gear 

I don't see them doing the same base design twice in a row.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

My biggest question, then, is that if they were so stumped for ideas in their own history, why not just do a Cougars-inspired fauxback? Vegas already set the precedent for using designs from past clubs the first go around, surely they could've just done that jersey in Hawks colors and called it a day.

This feels like a bootleg version of their 75th anniversary jersey.

06 teams shouldn't be using the jerseys of the WHA, save that for the newer teams.

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Looks good but it reverse to what? They never had sweater like that. It would be fantastic for Winter Classic since this is fauxback.

I believe it's a "streamlined" version of their '51-'55 look. Of course with the script instead of the roundel logo.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Blackhawks/Images/Blackhawks18.png

3 hours ago, M4One said:

Blackhawks still have a number of options in their history they could have pulled from.  A red version of the jerseys they wore from 26-34 or a red version of the jersey they wore in 34-35.  

Shouldn't have to come up with a faux RR jersey only the second time around for a team that have different jerseys in their history.

The problem is, they've already done a version of every one of their jersey designs within the last 2 decades. Sure, you could do a red version of their '26-'34 look, but they just used that design for the '19 Winter Classic. And the '34-'35 design was more or less used for the '09 Winter Classic. Even this RR, like Ridley pointed out, is a retread of their 75th anniversary jersey.

The well for Blackhawks throwbacks has run dry.

jNTsTyQ.png

59 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

06 teams shouldn't be using the jerseys of the WHA, save that for the newer teams.

I believe it's a "streamlined" version of their '51-'55 look. Of course with the script instead of the roundel logo.

The problem is, they've already done a version of every one of their jersey designs within the last 2 decades. Sure, you could do a red version of their '26-'34 look, but they just used that design for the '19 Winter Classic. And the '34-'35 design was more or less used for the '09 Winter Classic. Even this RR, like Ridley pointed out, is a retread of their 75th anniversary jersey.

The  '09 winter classic was 12 years ago.  I think it'll be fine if they came out with a red version, or even a vintage white.  Hell, go full on red from head to toe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

Fauxback version of this, why just not make a proper jersey and reversed it? They could also reverse their home to black (there is many concept here how it"d look).

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

The cardinal rule that should apply to any NHL team is that they aren't allowed to appropriate the elements that another team took years to build into their brand.  It also works in reverse. Uniform manufacturers and new team owners should not be allowed to ditch elements that franchises have built up pr decades or codified with Cup wins.

Lightning enough with this Leafs dress up.

Leafs go back to the same uniform you wore during your Cup years with the double hem stripes and bring back the multi striped socks.

Bruins - it was wrong going to a generic stripe template used by other NHL clubs when the RBK jerseys rolled out. Not that it looked bad but they had a unique pattern worn by Orr and Bourque which should have been retained.

Ditching your yellow socks was a sin.

Minnesota Wild do whatever you want with your uniforms as long as it doesn't copy another club. That said I like the North Stars reverse retro a lot.

19 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

What I’m hearing, then, is that it’s time to go back to 1925/26 for these bad boys…

spacer.png

• Like 2

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

8 hours ago, uniformity said:

The cardinal rule that should apply to any NHL team is that they aren't allowed to appropriate the elements that another team took years to build into their brand.  It also works in reverse. Uniform manufacturers and new team owners should not be allowed to ditch elements that franchises have built up pr decades or codified with Cup wins.

Lightning enough with this Leafs dress up.

Well, the Bolts won two Stanley Cups while cosplaying as the Leafs. And 1 more than in their inaugural uniforms with their victory stripes.

That's a hard pass by me. A crappy uniform associated with cup wins is still a crappy uniform (e.g. the Caps' 2018 Stanley Cup Win with their Reebok-turned-Adidas jersey set). The cup-winning uniforms that everyone sees just happened to be good, and that's why people start associating with them.

31 minutes ago, uniformity said:

Little known fact: the Portland Rosebuds uniform above was a black and gold in a rugby style sweater with horizontal stripes.

I’ve heard that lately, and have been having a hard time finding proof. Yes, I know, no color photographs, but is there a written reference from that era? Portland teams are my jam, so, I’m super intrigued by this.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg