2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

12 hours ago, Frylock said:

I’ve heard that lately, and have been having a hard time finding proof. Yes, I know, no color photographs, but is there a written reference from that era? Portland teams are my jam, so, I’m super intrigued by this.

Way back in the day (around the turn of the century) I was helping a guy named Lee with his old site the Hockey Sweater Museum. I think he was from Victoria and he found a reference on microfilm where the writer (who covered the game) referred to the visiting Rosebuds as having black and yellow colors.

• WOAH 1

The Catch of the Day!

Fisherman without teal, fully sublimated Lightning storm, and the California Golden Seals, potentially even with white skates. I've been a naysayer of the RR 2.0 program, but those three jerseys are enough to get me excited.

Also I got a concept shoutout from Chris at about 6:45 into the video, which is pretty neat!

• Like 5

The Lightnings storm jerseys were considered (rightfully so) ugly as hell back then. Getting really tired of bringing ugly jerseys back for the sake of “nostalgia”. Just because something is from your childhood doesn’t make it good. Stop.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 5

6 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Fisherman without teal, fully sublimated Lightning storm, and the California Golden Seals, potentially even with white skates. I've been a naysayer of the RR 2.0 program, but those three jerseys are enough to get me excited.

Also I got a concept shoutout from Chris at about 6:45 into the video, which is pretty neat!

Some other highlights for people who might not be able to watch the video just yet:

• Oilers going with a white version of the McFarlane jersey with orange trim (most likely replacing the silver)
  • Jets will use the WHA design again, this time with aviator blue replacing the red (might be a navy base or an aviator blue base)
  • Kraken won't be doing a Metropolitans throwback, but will take inspiration from another one of the city's former pro teams

16 hours ago, Frylock said:

I’ve heard that lately, and have been having a hard time finding proof. Yes, I know, no color photographs, but is there a written reference from that era? Portland teams are my jam, so, I’m super intrigued by this.

Written reference in papers and the pattern can be seen in some photographs. The first Rosebuds team wore blue and white in 1916.  Charles Coleman assumed the same was worn by the second version of the Rosebuds when he illustrated pictures for the Trail of the Stanley Cup book.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Same here, it looks awful. Ruins one of the best looking sets out there in my biased opinion.

I hear it’ll be on all fan shop jerseys once the season starts.

• Hurl 2

spacer.png

From the Icethetics video posted earlier, they were prototypes, apparently

Quick thoughts

I'm glad Ottawa went with a red jersey instead

Toronto's jersey would have looked a million times better with that logo

So dumb and baffling that Anaheim never even considered white socks

Those red Jets jerseys look incredible, it's a shame that they went with drab grey instead

The Whalers jersey in Hurricanes colours fit the spirit of the RR program better than what they went with, even if imo, they should have never worn a Hartford jersey

The fisherman jersey in black is a terrible idea and their actual RR was safe/boring but at least it looked good

Detroit with white pants... yikes

• Like 1

The rejected Hurricanes concept looks like what would have happened if Karmanos had successfully moved the Whalers to Auburn Hills and continued his weird attempt to wear Mike Ilitch's skin.

The Blackhawks, as usual, somehow look like they were unable to secure the licensing deal to their own franchise. Even in the Dollar Bill years, at least they never botched the sweater.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, insert name said:

I forgot this was a thing happening. Where would they even put the SCF patch or any commemorative patch?

Maybe on the yoke between the shoulder patch and sponsor patch.

• Hurl 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, insert name said:

I forgot this was a thing happening. Where would they even put the SCF patch or any commemorative patch?

On the shoulder if there's no shoulder logo there or on the other side where the C or A go.  Or, do what a couple of BCHL teams did for the league's 60th anniversary and put the patch in the weirdest location on the back hem.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Maybe on the yoke between the shoulder patch and sponsor patch.

This is probably true, but it also likely means special event/anniversary patches will be smaller and simpler than usual. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, M4One said:

Or, do what a couple of BCHL teams did for the league's 60th anniversary and put the patch in the weirdest location on the back hem.

This is depressing

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

but it also likely means special event/anniversary patches will be smaller and simpler than usual. 

Probably the reason why they went with a minimalist design for the new Cup patch

I'm still hoping that the richest teams/owners go sponsor-less. At least for a while. I still haven't gotten over the helmet ads

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, uniformity said:

Little known fact: the Portland Rosebuds uniform above was a black and gold in a rugby style sweater with horizontal stripes.

Weird thing is (in regards to the horizontal stripes) is that some sweaters looked like they had them while others didn't. Look at McCormicks sweater vs everyone else.

1926_portland-rosebuds-hockey-team_a2011

• WOAH 1

The Catch of the Day!

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

This is depressing

Probably the reason why they went with a minimalist design for the new Cup patch

I'm still hoping that the richest teams/owners go sponsor-less. At least for a while. I still haven't gotten over the helmet ads

The league uses revenue sharing, I’m gonna bet it’s a requirement to have one.

57 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Weird thing is (in regards to the horizontal stripes) is that some sweaters looked like they had them while others didn't. Look at McCormicks sweater vs everyone else.

1926_portland-rosebuds-hockey-team_a2011

Just because the camera quality was bad then and couldn’t pick them up if the lighting wasn’t perfect doesn’t mean they weren’t there. In 9 of the 12 pictures there you can Atleast barely make out the stripes, showing it’s more likely than not that they all had them and the rest are just due to picture quality from the 20’s