2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Even for ads? How come not every team had helmet sponsors last season then?

What about concession stand sales? Do they still have to share revenue for every hot dog sale? lol

The last part no because they get to keep gate revenue, everything sold outside the arena goes into the shared revenue pool

• Like 2

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

The rejected Hurricanes concept looks like what would have happened if Karmanos had successfully moved the Whalers to Auburn Hills and continued his weird attempt to wear Mike Ilitch's skin.

I'd say it's closer to Chicago than Detroit. It's basically a Blackhawks sweater with the white sleeve stripe extended to the wrist. Grey was definitely the better choice, considering it's the one colour the Whalers & Canes have both used.

Upon a closer look at that prototype graphic I noticed a few other differences from what we ended up with. It shows the Devils jersey having red numbers instead of white, the Knights wearing white gloves, the Pens, Ducks, Wild, and Avs all pairing dark helmets with white jerseys, with the Avs in black pants & helmets instead of burgundy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Upon a closer look at that prototype graphic I noticed a few other differences from what we ended up with. It shows the Devils jersey having red numbers instead of white, the Knights wearing white gloves, the Pens, Ducks, Wild, and Avs all pairing dark helmets with white jerseys, with the Avs in black pants & helmets instead of burgundy.

The Ducks would have been even weirder if they did also go with the dark helmets along with having the dark socks with a white jersey.

I wonder what the reasoning was?

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Weird thing is (in regards to the horizontal stripes) is that some sweaters looked like they had them while others didn't. Look at McCormicks sweater vs everyone else.

1926_portland-rosebuds-hockey-team_a2011

That right there seems like the smoking gun. What a garish mashup, though! Black and yellow stripes, with a red and green crest? Oof. Almost feels like a “this is what they had in stock, so these are our team colors” sort of situation.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Wait, they're doing this without teal, as in the element that actually makes that jersey work as much as it does? Congrats Islanders, you've somehow (probably) managed to make the Fisherman sweater boring. Didn't even think that was possible, honestly.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Invest in a seam ripper, if you don't have one already

The Hockey Lodge is the Wild's official team store.  It makes sense if their jerseys will have the patch, much like the NBA rule where the ad is only on jerseys sold at the official team stores and no where else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

The Hockey Lodge is the Wild's official team store.  It makes sense if their jerseys will have the patch, much like the NBA rule where the ad is only on jerseys sold at the official team stores and no where else.

I know.

People who buy jerseys should still get themselves a nice seam ripper though lol

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:46 AM, Chromatic said:

The majority of Canucks fans are very happy with the current look and want more than anything for the team to finally settle on an identity and stop screwing around with the uniforms.

The issue is that the team has had so many looks that there are vocal minority camps of people advocating for the one they want in particular, creating a lot more artificial noise around the subject than there really is. And the look they want in particular is almost always the one the team wore when they got into following the Canucks or feel some sort of nostalgia for, not because they like it for the design merits.

You also have a lot of non-Canuck fans hyping up the skate because we’re in an era that’s fetishizing 90s nostalgia and it’s “fire bro, lit AF”, so I don’t really care what they have to say on the subject. When the team wore the navy and maroon Orca people did the same thing with the blue and green stick. When they went back to blue and green, people did the same thing with the millionaires. It’s just trendy.

Very much agree with this, though I don't know if anyone wants the original Orca colour scheme back!

On 8/10/2022 at 1:42 AM, Frylock said:

That right there seems like the smoking gun. What a garish mashup, though! Black and yellow stripes, with a red and green crest? Oof. Almost feels like a “this is what they had in stock, so these are our team colors” sort of situation.

I agree. When I saw the (inaccurate) replica at the HHOF back in the 90s I thought it was pretty sharp (blue with red and white trim with the pretty flower on the front). But then after doing research and finding out they had ugly bumblebee stripes, I was disappointed.

BTW Not to derail this thread any further but I always thought it was funny that renditions of the Rosebuds logo on the web were so inaccurate from the actual logo on the sweater including the one on this site. Check out the comparison from the actual logo to the common renditioned one.

spacer.png

BTW The original Rosebuds of the PCHA (1914-1918) had a rose logo too. It just wasn't on the sweaters. It was on their team pennants (which was the only type of merchandise back in those days).

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The Catch of the Day!

On 8/11/2022 at 5:10 AM, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I agree. When I saw the (inaccurate) replica at the HHOF back in the 90s I thought it was pretty sharp (blue with red and white trim with the pretty flower on the front). But then after doing research and finding out they had ugly bumblebee stripes, I was disappointed.

BTW Not to derail this thread any further but I always thought it was funny that renditions of the Rosebuds logo on the web were so inaccurate from the actual logo on the sweater including the one on this site. Check out the comparison from the actual logo to the common renditioned one.

spacer.png

BTW The original Rosebuds of the PCHA (1914-1918) had a rose logo too. It just wasn't on the sweaters. It was on their team pennants (which was the only type of merchandise back in those days).

spacer.png

spacer.png

God I hope the NHL expands more so we can get a modern Portland Rosebuds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

God I hope the NHL expands more so we can get a modern Portland Rosebuds.

The NHL is already at the perfect number. It’s the same reason why the NFL hasn’t expanded past 32 teams. Your only hope is the coyotes relocating, and it seems Bettman would rather sacrifice 12 babies to keep them in Arizona rather than cut bait.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, dont care said:

The NHL is already at the perfect number. It’s the same reason why the NFL hasn’t expanded past 32 teams. Your only hope is the coyotes relocating, and it seems Bettman would rather sacrifice 12 babies to keep them in Arizona rather than cut bait.

Nah I know it's not going to happen. If Arizona ever does relocate it's going to be to Houston too.

17 minutes ago, dont care said:

The NHL is already at the perfect number. It’s the same reason why the NFL hasn’t expanded past 32 teams.

Aren't there already discussions of the NFL potentially going up to 40 teams, at least among owners? All it'll take is one league to set the precedent of going beyond 32 and then all gloves are off.

I just saw a rumour that the Flames will be bringing back the Blasty RR this season as the official 3rd jersey. A listing was posted featuring the jersey without the RR hanger effect, and with a tag labeling it as the third jersey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, bowld said:

The Flames ditch black from their logo and uniforms only to bring back a black alternate?  

Pike says this isn't their alternate, though. My guess is that it's a idea they had that leaked out after being rejected, that's happened with scrapped Flames jerseys before;
Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if their alternate is the 2004 red jersey. That would be a perfect way to keep the black C around like the org wants while also keeping Blasty in the mix for merchandise purposes.
  • Like 1