2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 1/24/2022 at 7:55 PM, habsfan1 said:

I agree that the Flames edge jersey with cookie cutter side panels and awful flag patches was a horrendous jersey. Amazing that they lasted longer than the 2nd run of the beloved Oilers dynasty uniforms.

However, this alternate that they unveiled a few years back is beautiful, super fitting for Calgary, and imo much superior to the 80s throwbacks. The western style cut of the shoulder yokes was a very creative element. The roundel was a solid alternate logo. They just needed to replace the script with the full black Flaming C, get a matching road white, and call it a night.

png

The Flames throwbacks should be saved for throwback nights.

See, I used to like this jersey, but then I realized that there's not enough gold in it to set it apart from the other red & black teams in the league. And honestly as much as I like the 2003-2007 set, that's kind of why I'm opposed to the Flames bringing back black at all, especially the way they used it. We just saw 3 teams finally distance themselves from the "red jersey, black pants & helmet" look: Calgary ditching black altogether, Ottawa reversing polarity so to speak and Phoenix going with a different colour scheme altogether; and  we still have 2 teams left over that use the look - with another being an edge-case. Do we really want one of those teams who went with something a bit more unique and original to, basically, just go back to looking like the Blackhawks? I know I don't, especially when it's the team I cheer for.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

See, I used to like this jersey, but then I realized that there's not enough gold in it to set it apart from the other red & black teams in the league. And honestly as much as I like the 2003-2007 set, that's kind of why I'm opposed to the Flames bringing back black at all, especially the way they used it. We just saw 3 teams finally distance themselves from the "red jersey, black pants & helmet" look: Calgary ditching black altogether, Ottawa reversing polarity so to speak and Phoenix going with a different colour scheme altogether; and  we still have 2 teams left over that use the look - with another being an edge-case. Do we really want one of those teams who went with something a bit more unique and original to, basically, just go back to looking like the Blackhawks? I know I don't, especially when it's the team I cheer for.

The Coyotes used burgundy. I really had a soft spot for the all-burgundy V1 look with the howling coyote and traditional stripes. No one used burgundy pants, so it set them apart from everybody.

I understand a little bit the argument of standing out. Me personally, I thought the heavier black striping set it apart from the Blackhawks large white stripes. The yellow accent highlights were slightly different but also unique. That leaves only the Devils.

I think the classic Flames jerseys are a nice throwback. But if the fad dies down, there's the risk of getting stale. It's a product of the 80s, after all. The Oilers got rid of their dynasty uniforms.

I would have made the red and yellow jersey the full-time alternate. There does seem to be a demand for both.

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I think the classic Flames jerseys are a nice throwback. But if the fad dies down, there's the risk of getting stale. It's a product of the 80s, after all. The Oilers got rid of their dynasty uniforms.

And that was a mistake, because they shouldn't have.

• Like 3

The Flames retros have to be one of the most overrated designs in the history of the league...  The absence of black makes the colours overtly garish with little-to-no contrast and there's nothing unique or special about the generic, mismatched striping that should have been left in Atlanta.  Without the 89 cup win and bastardization of the 2004 set by Reebok, there would be little reason to hold onto such a dated, poorly thought-out uniform.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The Flames retros have to be one of the most overrated designs in the history of the league...  The absence of black makes the colours overtly garish with little-to-no contrast and there's nothing unique or special about the generic, mismatched striping that should have been left in Atlanta.  Without the 89 cup win and bastardization of the 2004 set by Reebok, there would be little reason to hold onto such a dated, poorly thought-out uniform.

A take so hot, you should have changed your text to red and yellow and omitted black 🤣🔥

• Like 8

So now we are railing against the Flames current uniforms? In theory, the use of black is fine. However, they have gone overboard so much so that they became yet another red and black team. The Calgary Flames are a red and gold team. If black is needed (which, IMO, it is not), then it should only be used as trim.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Not only is this the best Flames jersey but it's also one of the best looking uniforms in the history of the league.  Not a single concept that attempts to merge black trim with the retro template is an improvement over this.

U19tPjq.jpg

The issue with this set was that the colour hierarchy was too different on each jersey. On this one it's red-black-white-yellow, but on the road jersey it went white-red-yellow-black. The black pants didn't look good on the road when black was the 4th most prominent colour on the jersey.

11 hours ago, IceCap said:

Um, pardon? Someone mentioned they thought the Flames looked better with black, and that spurred this conversation.

I'm not seeing anything that suggests the Flames are bringing the pre-Edge look back.

Well they brought back Blasty for the reverse retros (although is it really reversed when all you did was change the sleeve/hem colour?), so I would assume that the RR 2.0 will include black to some degree. They could also just pull a Vancouver or Buffalo and bring back the throwback as an alternate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PlayGloria said:

I honestly cannot wait to see the Islanders RR 2.0

Do they just poop out another jersey that is barely changed or do they finally give the people what they want? 🎣

With Lou on board, don't get your hopes too high. They might as well just make a white version of their RR

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The issue with this set was that the colour hierarchy was too different on each jersey.

How?  The Hierarchy is the same on both jerseys.  Red is dominant, black is secondary and yellow is tertiary. 

yuYYdlu.png

On this one it's red-black-white-yellow, but on the road jersey it went white-red-yellow-black.   The black pants didn't look good on the road when black was the 4th most prominent colour on the jersey.

Black is the clear secondary colour on the road whites regardless of the pants.  The black stripes are thicker than the yellow ones and you can't count white as a team colour.  Every team in the league has a road white.

RAmjQPk.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

And that was a mistake, because they shouldn't have.

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

The Oilers' current uniforms are the best they've ever looked and putting on the dynasty-era uniforms isn't going to make Wayne Gretzky want to suit up to save the sad sack of a franchise.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

Whether reliable or not, here’s hoping. I can see them doing that jersey in Avs blue and burgundy pants. Seen plenty of concepts that’ve done that and it looked awesome. 

I think it'd look pretty cool if the hem stripes are silver/burgandy/silver...but the crest will be awfully redundant to the current third. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, B-mer said:

Whether reliable or not, here’s hoping. I can see them doing that jersey in Avs blue and burgundy pants. Seen plenty of concepts that’ve done that and it looked awesome. 

They’ve pretty much have been doing this with their alternate uniforms over the past 5 or so years. Just a reverse retro will now be more accurate.

16 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

How?  The Hierarchy is the same on both jerseys.  Red is dominant, black is secondary and yellow is tertiary. 

Black is the clear secondary colour on the road whites regardless of the pants.  The black stripes are thicker than the yellow ones and you can't count white as a team colour.  Every team in the league has a road white.

I count white because when you look at the throwbacks they have a balanced colour scheme of red/white/yellow at home, white/red/yellow on the road.

The black trim on the logo & numbers is thinner than the yellow, but I guess you could argue black & yellow are equal. Still, there isn't enough black on the white jersey to justify how overused it is on the red.

So far, @B-mer is the only person who's posted a concept with black that looks decent to me.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Shouldn't the Devils be the ones doing this?

Shouldn't the Coyotes be the ones doing Jets 1.0 throwbacks by this logic, though? Sometimes, you're better off going for market matching if you have a team there over being strict about "only THIS franchise can do throwbacks to these other franchises from different markets!".

I really doubt there's high demand for Hockey Rockies merchandise in Newark, but there'd be plenty of it in Denver.

• Like 5