2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

52 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Shouldn't the Devils be the ones doing this?

No, the Devils should be doubling down on the cup-winning sets and eliminating all alternates. No Scouts, no Rockies, just the team that won three Stanley Cups.

Also, I find the Avs doing Hockey Rockies homages better than their awkward Nords design.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

No, the Devils should be doubling down on the cup-winning sets and eliminating all alternates. No Scouts, no Rockies, just the team that won three Stanley Cups.

Also, I find the Avs doing Hockey Rockies homages better than their awkward Nords design.

Eh, well, I kinda disagree; I think having a red-and-green alternate in the rotation and fixing up the modern jerseys to match their iconic 90's look is the best way to go for the Devils. They can have heritage alts just for a bit of variety, but they're not a brand that needs extensive tinkering.

And yeah, Avs doing Rockies homages > Avs doing Nords homages. They've already been doing it through their third for a while, anyways, and I actually like those jerseys.

• Like 2

Teams honoring their city's history in a sport >>>>>> teams honoring their "franchise" history.

The Avs should throw back to the Rockies, Jets 2 to Jets 1, et cetera. Any new Quebec team should throw back to the original Nordiques, any Hartford team to the Whalers, any KC team to the Scouts if they so choose.

• Like 13

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

The Avs should just take their original jersey and switch blue and burgundy

Eh, too similar to their current look, and RR's are supposed to be pretty distinct from the normal look visually. Ottawa and the Isles were really the only teams that went for something super similar to their main look, and one of those is because they just rebranded that season and the other is because that team has notorious alternate-hater Lou Lamoriello at the helm.

Besides, they've already been using Rockies imagery on their third; this would be a natural evolution of that. Especially since the Devils sure as hell aren't using the Rockies stuff for much of anything anyways.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:38 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The Flames finally look like themselves again after all the years with black. They never needed black and nor did the North Stars.

Great post. Plus add the fact that most teams just need two primary colors to look fine as teams went back to throwbacks recently because maybe they made mistakes along the way(see 2007 Reebok takeover).

Penguins-Black/yellow

Islanders-Royal/orange

Devils-Red/Black

Rangers-Royal/red

Capitals-Royal/red

Red wings-Red

Leafs-Blue

Canadians-Red/royal

Bruins-Black/yellow

Sabres-Royal/yellow

Canucks-Royal/green

Kings-Black/silver

Oilers-Navy(shoulda kept royal)/orange

Lightning-Blue

Blue Jackets-blue/red

Flyers-Orange/black

Black Hawks-red/black

other than the Blues(two blues/yellow), the rest of the league has mashed 3 or more colors together, some look

fine but some are a mess. Of the 17 teams listed above, the Oilers and Blues comment along with the Kings terrible logo, I'd 

have to say that less color is more when it come to how good a team uniform looks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joekono said:

Great post. Plus add the fact that most teams just need two primary colors to look fine as teams went back to throwbacks recently because maybe they made mistakes along the way(see 2007 Reebok takeover).

Penguins-Black/yellow

Islanders-Royal/orange

Devils-Red/Black

Rangers-Royal/red

Capitals-Royal/red

Red wings-Red

Leafs-Blue

Canadians-Red/royal

Bruins-Black/yellow

Sabres-Royal/yellow

Canucks-Royal/green

Kings-Black/silver

Oilers-Navy(shoulda kept royal)/orange

Lightning-Blue

Blue Jackets-blue/red

Flyers-Orange/black

Black Hawks-red/black

other than the Blues(two blues/yellow), the rest of the league has mashed 3 or more colors together, some look

fine but some are a mess. Of the 17 teams listed above, the Oilers and Blues comment along with the Kings terrible logo, I'd 

have to say that less color is more when it come to how good a team uniform looks.

I almost made a similar post recently about numbers of colors and how it correlates to a clean look, but could articulate it right. You are spot on though. The Blues are a strange one because having multiple blues fits the team name while also differentiating them from the league a bit. 

Also, it was great timing as last night, my Blues were playing the Flames. If you didn't see that game, the uniform matchup was superb. Neither team should change a thing. Gorgeous. 

USATSI_17574856_168383996_lowres.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, PlayGloria said:

Also, it was great timing as last night, my Blues were playing the Flames. If you didn't see that game, the uniform matchup was superb. Neither team should change a thing. Gorgeous. 

USATSI_17574856_168383996_lowres.jpg

I'm a fan of their current look, but I'd love it if the Blues dropped the navy.  These are pretty close to perfect for St. Louis to me.

588024243_1140x641.jpg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I'm a fan of their current look, but I'd love it if the Blues dropped the navy.  These are pretty close to perfect for St. Louis to me.

588024243_1140x641.jpg

I love these. I feel like the blues are perfectly set up though with their current primaries, with this and the 90s jersey as alts. I would love to see a white version of this years winter classic as well. 

10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Eh, too similar to their current look, and RR's are supposed to be pretty distinct from the normal look visually. Ottawa and the Isles were really the only teams that went for something super similar to their main look.

Montreal's was just a blue palette swap of their current red jersey so there is precedent of the teams doing simple color swaps of their current looks. I mean the whole year designations were all arbitrary and didn't even match in most cases anyways (Like Detroit's was 1998 when their jerseys haven't changed since the mid '80s or similarly the Flyers being from 1995.) so who cares.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, QCS said:

Teams honoring their city's history in a sport >>>>>> teams honoring their "franchise" history.

The Avs should throw back to the Rockies, Jets 2 to Jets 1, et cetera. Any new Quebec team should throw back to the original Nordiques, any Hartford team to the Whalers, any KC team to the Scouts if they so choose.

nah, as an Avalanche fan for 26 years, I can more about the Nordiques history than I do about the Rockies.  

The Avalanche have no ties to the Rockies.....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gsn93 said:

Montreal's was just a blue palette swap of their current red jersey so there is precedent of the teams doing simple color swaps of their current looks. I mean the whole year designations were all arbitrary and didn't even match in most cases anyways (Like Detroit's was 1998 when their jerseys haven't changed since the mid '80s or similarly the Flyers being from 1995.) so who cares.

I think the years were in reference to a Cup or at least a Cup final appearance in most cases

5 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Neither team should change a thing. Gorgeous.

Mostly agree as both teams look great but I am the only one who misses the yellow numbers?

spacer.png

• Like 11

17 hours ago, VikWings said:

Shouldn't the Devils be the ones doing this?

12 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Especially since the Devils sure as hell aren't using the Rockies stuff for much of anything anyways.

Actually, when the Devils updated their home & away jerseys a few years ago they claimed that the new sleeve stripes were supposed to be a nod to the Rockies striping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

nah, as an Avalanche fan for 26 years, I can more about the Nordiques history than I do about the Rockies.  

The Avalanche have no ties to the Rockies.....

Sure but what makes more sense, a team in southern (edit: not THAT southern apparently) US Colorado honoring a past franchise by wearing the jersey of a team called the Northerners filled with French fleur de lys OR a team in southern US Colorado honoring a past franchise by wearing the jersey of a local defunct team called the Rockies for the Rocky Mountains and with a logo that resembles the state flag?

I personally found it a little disrespectful that they even chose burgundy for the fleur de lys on their RR when blue is part of their colour scheme. Well maybe not disrespectful but I think it made no sense at all.

I hope next year's RR is a steel blue based pre-Edge jersey with burgundy (the original mid 90s lighter shade of burgundy for extra throwback points and more obvious difference between those and the current jerseys maybe?) sleeves and black gear

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Sure but what makes more sense, a team in southern US Colorado honoring a past franchise by wearing the jersey of a team called the Northerners filled with French fleur de lys OR a team in southern US Colorado honoring a past franchise by wearing the jersey of a local defunct team called the Rockies for the Rocky Mountains and with a logo that resembles the state flag?

I personally found it a little disrespectful that they even chose burgundy for the fleur de lys on their RR when blue is part of their colour scheme. Well maybe not disrespectful but I think it made no sense at all.

I hope next year's RR is a steel blue based pre-Edge jersey with burgundy (the original mid 90s lighter shade of burgundy for extra throwback points and more obvious difference between those and the current jerseys maybe?) sleeves and black gear

Great post. As much as i loved seeing the Nordiques jersey return, it felt weird to me. I feel the same way when the Hurricanes wear a Whalers jersey. It's a feeling that, if we loved these teams so much, why did we relocate them in the first place. 

Team relocating is just such a gut punch to the city that loses the team. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

As a man from Alabama, living in Texas, hearing Colorado referred to as the south is lowkey hilarious.

Not gonna lie, I just looked it up and it's definitely more in the middle than I remembered lol. Either way. You can be pedantic all you want, there's nothing nordique about the state of Colorado

From a long standing Avs fan standpoint and from what I have observed:

Older long time fans like the historical relevance of the Nordiques and given that the jersey was sold during the 25th anniversary, approved of the recolored Nords jersey (heck most would have liked just the standard Nordiques throwback (worn formally by Sakic and Forsberg).

Newer fans and transplants that latch on to the local teams are the ones that respond more to the Rockies Hockey design including the current third jersey (or anything that has a Colorado flag design).

• Like 3

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

10 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Great post. As much as i loved seeing the Nordiques jersey return, it felt weird to me. I feel the same way when the Hurricanes wear a Whalers jersey. It's a feeling that, if we loved these teams so much, why did we relocate them in the first place. 

Team relocating is just such a gut punch to the city that loses the team. 

Yeah it rubbed me the wrong way is how I would put it into words. Like I didn't hate it I just thought it was kinda dumb. I guess the Canes wearing Whalers jerseys should also have rubbed the wrong way especially since I dislike the Canes but at least they kept the colour scheme intact and there's no geographical/cultural symbol on the Whalers jersey that makes it weird for a team in NC to wear it