NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Pooh Bear" 2/3

DTConcepts

Hey everybody! Welcome to my latest and greatest concept series, the NHL Retro Cleanup.

The idea behind it is pretty simple: I'm gonna take some of the NHL's worst ever jerseys, and do my best to make them passable, or even good, while preserving the ideas and concepts from the original jerseys. I was inspired to make this series after I picked up the (arguably) ugliest NHL jersey of all time, and as a result, I think "The Burger King" is a great place to start this series.

For some context, here's the original "Burger King" jersey. It was introduced by the Los Angeles Kings as one of the NHL's first alternate jerseys in 1995, but was scrapped after only a few games due to immense fan disapproval.

4d42d8accadcbb4c280c0000?width=750&format=jpeg&auto=webp

And here's my cleanup of that gaudy, gradient-filled mess!

h8s6JEs.jpg

After every concept, I also wanna say what I changed and what I kept, just to help explain my thought process, so here's what I did here:

• Got rid of the gradients, obviously.
  • Changed the bulk of the color scheme to purple and gold, to make the jersey pop.
  • Centered the crest.
  • Removed the back sash, in an attempt to make the jersey a little simpler.
  • Only put the Kings' logo on one shoulder, to keep things from being too busy.
  • Changed the colors of the King's beard, because c'mon.

And that's that! I hope y'all like what I've got in store for this series. I've had a lot of fun making these concepts and I hope you'll enjoy 'em as much as I do. Let me know what you like and what you dislike about my Burger King fix!

7 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Hey everybody! Welcome to my latest and greatest concept series, the NHL Retro Cleanup.

The idea behind it is pretty simple: I'm gonna take some of the NHL's worst ever jerseys, and do my best to make them passable, or even good, while preserving the ideas and concepts from the original jerseys. I was inspired to make this series after I picked up the (arguably) ugliest NHL jersey of all time, and as a result, I think "The Burger King" is a great place to start this series.

h8s6JEs.jpg

After every concept, I also wanna say what I changed and what I kept, just to help explain my thought process, so here's what I did here:

• Got rid of the gradients, obviously.
  • Changed the bulk of the color scheme to purple and gold, to make the jersey pop.
  • Centered the crest.
  • Removed the back sash, in an attempt to make the jersey a little simpler.
  • Only put the Kings' logo on one shoulder, to keep things from being too busy.
  • Changed the colors of the King's beard, because c'mon.

And that's that! I hope y'all like what I've got in store for this series. I've had a lot of fun making these concepts and I hope you'll enjoy 'em as much as I do. Let me know what you like and what you dislike about my Burger King fix!

I still want the crest to be where the original one is placed. Also, the Kings logo on the shoulder should match the colour scheme of the jersey. Otherwise, a greatstart to this series.

Exciting idea for a series! 

Good call ending the sash early, though if you're gonna go with a one-side-only shoulder patch, I honestly might end it vertically at the back of the shoulder yoke. Regardless, it works well as a Northwestern stripe!

I also agree with @Friedrich Stuart Macbeth that the colors aren't quite all going together... I love purple & yellow for the Kings, and that recolored King logo is a beauty, but with such black & silver-heavy logos abutting those stripes, I'm not sure it's the right call.

Anyways, forgive my nitpicking, and I'm curious to see whether putting out the Wild Wing dumpster fire is possible under the laws of physics!

18 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I still want the crest to be where the original one is placed. Also, the Kings logo on the shoulder should match the colour scheme of the jersey. Otherwise, a greatstart to this series.

12 hours ago, vtgco said:

Good call ending the sash early, though if you're gonna go with a one-side-only shoulder patch, I honestly might end it vertically at the back of the shoulder yoke. Regardless, it works well as a Northwestern stripe!

I also agree with @Friedrich Stuart Macbeth that the colors aren't quite all going together... I love purple & yellow for the Kings, and that recolored King logo is a beauty, but with such black & silver-heavy logos abutting those stripes, I'm not sure it's the right call.

Here's my attempted fix given the feedback from you guys. I balanced out the shoulder patches, and colored them in purple and yellow to match the sweater. I tried switching the beard color back to purple, but it still looked just as goofy as it did when the Kings actually unveiled the jersey in the 90s.

BFzfYPg.jpg

Better? Worse? Anything else I should tweak?

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Burger King" Update 1/19
3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Here's my attempted fix given the feedback from you guys. I balanced out the shoulder patches, and colored them in purple and yellow to match the sweater. I tried switching the beard color back to purple, but it still looked just as goofy as it did when the Kings actually unveiled the jersey in the 90s.

Better? Worse? Anything else I should tweak?

The new version looks better with the updated patches. I agree the purple beard is silly and doesn't work, but the main logo still feels a bit out of place... I'd suggest either recoloring the logo to have a purple background, or trying different colored striping?

On 1/19/2022 at 3:42 PM, vtgco said:

The new version looks better with the updated patches. I agree the purple beard is silly and doesn't work, but the main logo still feels a bit out of place... I'd suggest either recoloring the logo to have a purple background, or trying different colored striping?

I can dig it! I played around with the colors of the striping and of the logo, and this is what I ended up settling on. I really do appreciate the help and the responses!

Cdvy8Zr.jpg

I also wanna show off the next concept in the series, which is based on what I consider to be the ugliest NHL jersey of all time: The infamous "Flying V" jerseys. They were introduced by the Vancouver Canucks  in 1978, changing the team's color scheme from blue, white, and green to black, orange, and yellow. They also did away with the idea of a jersey crest entirely, letting a V-shaped striping pattern replace the traditional team logo:

78-CANUCKS.jpg

And here's my cleanup of that god-awful uniform:

bVkntjU.jpg

The changes in this one are a bit less drastic than the Burger King jersey, but here's what I did:

• Turned the chest 'V' into a crest instead of a full-body stripe
  • Removed the 'V's on the shoulders
  • Moved the arm numbers from the wrist to the shoulders
  • Added 'V' striping to the waist to balance out the uniform

Any thoughts on this bad boy?

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Flying V" 1/20

The red on the V, number and the Shoulder logo is a bit brighter than the one used for the sleeves, cuff and body, and the yellow for the numbers and logos are a different shade than the one on the shirt. Other than that, the Flying V looks great.

22 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I can dig it! I played around with the colors of the striping and of the logo, and this is what I ended up settling on. I really do appreciate the help and the responses!

Cdvy8Zr.jpg

Would look way better without the sash. The sash looks weird when it stops at the yoke seam...kinda creates a sash to nowhere.  The use of the split stripes on the sleeves and hem are really good and don't need anything extra, really. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, WSU151 said:

Would look way better without the sash. The sash looks weird when it stops at the yoke seam...kinda creates a sash to nowhere.  The use of the split stripes on the sleeves and hem are really good and don't need anything extra, really. 

I agree that the sash is a bit odd, but like I said in the initial post, I'm trying to keep the ideas that were integral to each design, no matter how gaudy. Because of that, the sash must stay, even if it looks out of place.

That being said, here's the next design, where I'll clean up one of the most hated NHL rebrands of all time: The Islanders' "Fishsticks" jerseys. The team switched from their classic orange-white-blue color scheme to navy, teal, grey, and orange in 1995, and also completely redesigned their logo, too. The jerseys took inspiration from the ocean, implementing uneven and wavy striping all over the jersey. The logo also bore a striking resemblance to the Gorton's fisherman, giving the look the "Fishsticks" moniker.

islanders-logo.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

And here's my attempt to clean those bad boys up:

CC2oSPW.jpg

Here's my little changelog for this one:

• Took out the fisherman logo, because... c'mon.
  • Made the waves a bit more subtle, but still present.
  • Removed grey from the striping color scheme, and brightened all the other colors.
  • Kept the font wavy, but not skewed to the curves of the striping.

And that's my fix of the fishsticks identity! What do you guys think?

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Fishsticks" 1/23
22 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I agree that the sash is a bit odd, but like I said in the initial post, I'm trying to keep the ideas that were integral to each design, no matter how gaudy. Because of that, the sash must stay, even if it looks out of place.

That being said, here's the next design, my fix for the Islanders Fishsticks jerseys.

CC2oSPW.jpg

• Removed grey from the striping color scheme, and brightened all the other colors.

These never get old! The Islanders need to bring these back in some way

These are great. I'll echo what people are saying about the Kings' sash. I think it would look best taking the place of the right shoulder logo and ending right above the KY in Gretzky.

Also, as someone who isn't an NHL fan and therefore only kinda knows the original jerseys in question here, could you link the original for each design just to compare?

On 1/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Now, draw this one again but with the fishsticks in it.

Ask and you shall receive:

QmjhQzX.jpg

21 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

Also, as someone who isn't an NHL fan and therefore only kinda knows the original jerseys in question here, could you link the original for each design just to compare?

That's a great suggestion! I'll go through and edit all the posts with images of the original jerseys.

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Fishsticks" Update 1/25

The Fishsticks concept works quite well with either the Fisherman logo or the classic logo (my preference)! Based on the striping, I think it'd benefit from all the logos ditching their outermost white outlines in favor of the just the orange one, (like you did on the Fisherman logo. Similarly, I'd also rather see single outlines or floating orange outlines for the numbers.

This is a really solid cleanup of the jersey, and I love that choice of name font! I can't decide if it looks very classic or very psychedelic, so it's pretty much perfect for this application, and it makes me want to see an Islanders (or really any team) rebrand involving that font more heavily.

For the Flying V design, it's mostly bothering me that the hem striping is black/red when the sleeve striping is black/red/black; I'd change one of them to match.

As a fan of the original black Flying V jersey, I think the two-stripe V is just the right level of simplicity to balance out being an unorthodox jersey element, but it's a touch too simple to stand on its own as a *logo* (which is why I combine it with the Millionaires V on my old Canucks concepts). If you're willing to at least extend it to abut the shoulder yoke like you did with the Kings, that might be another way to make it work.

On to the next one!

Up next is the Nashville Predators' "Mustard" jersey. After their first three years in the league, the Preds unveiled their first alternate jersey, with a muted mustard color scheme, metallic, fang-inspired striping, a new, complex logo, and a wordmark underneath the collar.

46a643b6e4feecb9893904b316bd67de--hockey-basketball.jpg

Here's my tune-up for this sweater:

898MjqH.jpg

Here's what I did:

• Simplified the colors in the crest
  • Removed the wordmark from the shoulder patches
  • Doubled up on the waist striping to better match the arms
  • Moved the wordmark patch from the chest area to the collar

And that's that! Out of all the jerseys in this series, I think the mustard alternate is one of the least gaudy, at least design-wise, which is why most of the tweaks here are relatively minor. What do you think?

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Retro Cleanup - "The Mustard Jersey" 1/27
4 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

On to the next one!

Up next is the Nashville Predators' "Mustard" jersey. After their first three years in the league, the Preds unveiled their first alternate jersey, with a muted mustard color scheme, metallic, fang-inspired striping, a new, complex logo, and a wordmark underneath the collar.

46a643b6e4feecb9893904b316bd67de--hockey-basketball.jpg

Here's my tune-up for this sweater:

898MjqH.jpg

Here's what I did:

• Simplified the colors in the crest
  • Removed the wordmark from the shoulder patches
  • Doubled up on the waist striping to better match the arms
  • Moved the wordmark patch from the chest area to the collar

And that's that! Out of all the jerseys in this series, I think the mustard alternate is one of the least gaudy, at least design-wise, which is why most of the tweaks here are relatively minor. What do you think?

I wanna see a gold version of the jersey, complete with their modern crest and all. Just for the sake of my request.

Because mustard itself sucks as a colour. Too dark to be yellow, yet still tried to be one. Looks like alien piss to me, really.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, DTConcepts said:

That being said, here's the next design, where I'll clean up one of the most hated NHL rebrands of all time: The Islanders' "Fishsticks" jerseys. The team switched from their classic orange-white-blue color scheme to navy, teal, grey, and orange in 1995, and also completely redesigned their logo, too. The jerseys took inspiration from the ocean, implementing uneven and wavy striping all over the jersey. The logo also bore a striking resemblance to the Gorton's fisherman, giving the look the "Fishsticks" moniker.

islanders-logo.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

And here's my attempt to clean those bad boys up:

CC2oSPW.jpg

Funny thing, I think this is what the Islanders actually did when they got rid of the fisherman. 

Honestly, my problems with the mustard jersey are with the awful logos *waaaayyy* more than with the color or striping design, but the updates you make are certainly improvements.

The matching hem stripe and the additional white stripe are nice, and the collar wordmark is tastefully done (though there's a part of me that wonders if it'd work as an LA Rams-esque patch...?)

I think I'd rather see the metallic silver over the flat gray, though.

Archived