Another NFL Series: Fixing What Ain’t Broke (The Chargers)

jn8

Been a little bit since I’ve done a concept around here, but here goes.

I’m planning a bit of a series, not too sure how it’ll go, but I at least have an idea. I doubt I’ll do every team, but I’ll do a few. The catch is: all of them will have a catch. Not sure what that means? Good! Neither am I! Basically, I want to try and set a “rule” for each concept that I have to follow. Sometimes it’ll be simple, like use/don’t use a certain color, or avoid the “stereotypical” concept for (insert team). Sometimes it’ll be bigger, like fix (universally panned set) while still retaining the “feel” of the design. Some teams will get multiple concepts. Some teams will get no concepts. I’m just playing around and making it up as I go, so if you have a “rule” idea, I’m open to listening, though I make no promises I’ll get around to it. Oh, and I don’t like doing stuff on the computer, so I hand-draw these. If you don’t like that, I’m sorry, but it’s what I do. Anyway, let’s start it simple with the source of my sadness:

Denver Broncos
Nothing too outlandish, for the most part. I took the number font, logo, and navy blue from the current set and put it on the classics. The catch? Double-blue (and double orange, but not as prominently). The stripes end in a mountain silhouette that is shown with a lighter not-quite-sky-blue-but-not-royal-blue, a lighter orange, and silver. The biggest risk here is the use of the lighter blue as the base for one of the alternates. It’s the only jersey with double-outlines on the numbers and also has a navy outline around the sleeve stripes as well.
I’ve never been good with words, so I’ll just post the picture now:

spacer.png

Jerseys/pants/socks are obviously interchangeable, but I posted them in these combos as they’d be the primary home/road and I wasn’t sure how the lighter blue would look over anything else so I played it safe and that left navy/navy.

I know I’m not breaking any new ground here with the general design, but considering I’m a Broncos fan and this is the start to an eventual series, I’d rather play it safe and get that ground-ball single up the middle instead of swinging for the fences and totally whiffing. Hopefully it was a success. Bigger swings are coming up, I promise. Until then, let me know any thoughts and criticisms!

You produce some of my favorite content on these boards, jn8. I love the hand drawn concepts.

Now that I've said nice stuff though, some constructive critiquing (or at least, hopefully constructive): I feel like you could do away with the light blue / yellow part of the striping though. Neither color are in your primary logo and they seem kind of out of place. That extends to the light blue alt, as it seems kind of disjointed to have the light blue top, but the socks and pants featuring the navy mainly.

I can't wait for more. I was scrolling through your hand-drawn MLB again the other day because it's quite impressive.

14 minutes ago, jbird669 said:

As a Broncos fan, I am digging this set! I don't particularly like the top right one, but the rest are perfect. 

Thank you! I knew the light blue would be controversial, but with this series I want to try and push the boundaries a little bit and try it out. Definitely going to be some more things like that in the future with other teams and I know it won't all go over well lol.

15 minutes ago, Megildur said:

You produce some of my favorite content on these boards, jn8. I love the hand drawn concepts.

Now that I've said nice stuff though, some constructive critiquing (or at least, hopefully constructive): I feel like you could do away with the light blue / yellow part of the striping though. Neither color are in your primary logo and they seem kind of out of place. That extends to the light blue alt, as it seems kind of disjointed to have the light blue top, but the socks and pants featuring the navy mainly.

I can't wait for more. I was scrolling through your hand-drawn MLB again the other day because it's quite impressive.

I appreciate the compliments! I've been away for a bit and have just been trying to find the time to get back into the concepts game. I'd definitely like to get back to my MLB stuff if I can, but I think this one might take priority for the time being, unless I get some inspiration going on those. As for your critique: I get it. I know the double colors weren't needed, but I felt too... basic without them. Like.. I wanted to try and push the boundaries a little bit and test my creativity. For example, I want to try later on with a Saints concept that doesn't use black. Will it go well? I'm not sure, but I'm just trying to have some fun and test ideas that might or might not be good. That's just what I'm hoping this series can be, a way to try to test some ideas out. I've got one in the works that is trying to take a pretty hated uniform and fix it, while still keeping it similar enough to the original that it "feels" the same. IDK, I'm just hoping to have some fun and I hope everyone can have some fun with me lol. Thanks for taking a look!

20 minutes ago, raysox said:

That sleeve stripe absolutely rules. I'm not sure if the Broncos are the right team for it, but the idea and execution are fantastic.

Thanks! Do you have a team in mind that you might like it better for? Maybe Utah or West Virginia?

I remember the MLB series you did a while back and I was loving the hand drawn work! Really excited to see what you got for the NFL. This is a fantastic start, I personally really enjoy the double blue, I think that alt looks great, and it works fine with the navy elements, I saw a few people questioning it, but I think it looks pretty nice with the navy socks/helmet. The stripe looks slightly out of place on the home and away, but I do think it is a really cool idea. Overall I like it, and I'm excited to see what you do next, super talented stuff. 

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

Thanks! Do you have a team in mind that you might like it better for? Maybe Utah or West Virginia?

I just did Colorado in my NCAA Lacrosse concept series so they may have been top of mind, but I think the key for that is a team with an established third color.

Hell, if you swapped orange for red it would work for the Nuggets even. Or a fauxback for the Avalanche

On 1/24/2022 at 12:48 PM, jn8 said:

I appreciate the compliments! I've been away for a bit and have just been trying to find the time to get back into the concepts game. I'd definitely like to get back to my MLB stuff if I can, but I think this one might take priority for the time being, unless I get some inspiration going on those. As for your critique: I get it. I know the double colors weren't needed, but I felt too... basic without them. Like.. I wanted to try and push the boundaries a little bit and test my creativity. For example, I want to try later on with a Saints concept that doesn't use black. Will it go well? I'm not sure, but I'm just trying to have some fun and test ideas that might or might not be good. That's just what I'm hoping this series can be, a way to try to test some ideas out. I've got one in the works that is trying to take a pretty hated uniform and fix it, while still keeping it similar enough to the original that it "feels" the same. IDK, I'm just hoping to have some fun and I hope everyone can have some fun with me lol. Thanks for taking a look!

I do like the idea of the additional colors and appreciate the creativity. I agree with you about how it can feel basic with just the navy, orange, and white too. Plus, testing new ideas out is what helps separate your concepts from others on the board, so I hope I don't come across as too harsh. I do like the mountain-striping idea, but I'm still wary of the execution. Could another idea of how to involve the light blue and yellow be to do some kind of inline-colors within the numbers? Similar to the Toronto Blue Jays' line within their numbers, but in a different color in this case. You could also add the yellow and light blue to the primary logo by making the three sections of the Bronco's mane into orange, light blue, and yellow (rather than just orange at the moment). These are just some ideas though and I like what you have already too!

Team 2 for this series: Jacksonville. 

The goal: Fix the 2010s set without losing the general idea of it. 

First and foremost, the gradient helmet is dead. I know that was a big part of the identity of that previous set, but it was too bad to stay. The pants use a similar design to the original, just taking the color block and continuing it to the bottom and adding a second triangle to the top. Sleeve caps add the two triangles above the cuff and the whatever the call the things by the collar change to black or teal, depending on the jersey, as opposed to being gold on all of them. Numbers on the teal jersey changed to whole for legibility reasons. Here’s the things:

KI85jJU_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Basically, I tried to keep some similarities to the old set, but fixed the major issue and had some other tweaks. Again, it’s nothing groundbreaking, but it’s an idea

• jn8 changed the title to Another NFL Series: A Jacksonville Attempt

Starting off with a hot take: I lake the new Rams’ unis. They’re not perfect, but I like them. That said, they can be better. Here’s my take:

wRqaUEY.jpg

Very minor tweaks. No full separation on the horn elements, just dark outlines and shadows. Same treatment on the numbers. No white anywhere it doesn’t need to be. Added contrasting collars and dropped bone completely. Like I said, very minor

• jn8 changed the title to Another NFL Series: Minor tweaks for the Rams
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently I’ve never heard the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The Chargers may very well have the best uniforms in the NFL, but here I go anyway. I’m keeping the same overall design, but using a different color scheme: tri-blue.

spacer.png

At the core, I wanted to see what the 2000s navy-heavy color scheme would look like on the current set, but then I decided to mix in the other blues and drop gold. I tried to use the colors in a way that gave an “electric” fade off the bolts (and numbers) and I think it turned out alright. But the real opinion that matters is that of the people, so I’ll let you guys weigh in

• jn8 changed the title to Another NFL Series: Fixing What Ain’t Broke (The Chargers)

Love the Rams uniforms, it would be great if they made those minor tweaks in a few years. 

Although the Chargers concept is a clean look, the lack of yellow is kind of weird after being so ingrained in my head as one of their team colors. It would probably make for a cool alternate but not something I'd prefer over their regular set.

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

• 2 weeks later...

Idk how I just found this but I'm thrilled! Your previous thread a few years back is still one of my all-time favorites on this board. That Broncos' stripe is very clever too, kinda reminds me of the Nuggets...I may have to steal it.

fiowXOD.png

On 2/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, Moseph said:

Love the Rams uniforms, it would be great if they made those minor tweaks in a few years. 

Although the Chargers concept is a clean look, the lack of yellow is kind of weird after being so ingrained in my head as one of their team colors. It would probably make for a cool alternate but not something I'd prefer over their regular set.

I thought of this, but these are pretty much the colors the Lakers were wearing when the Chargers first played in LA, and there's already a LA team that wears blue & gold.

Archived