College Football 2022

Kevin W.

Have at it, folks. Let's talk football.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 1/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

Maybe it will cause the oversized helmet logo trend to finally die off.

I wish I could like this more than once. The NCAA really needs to reign that crap in. No more oversized helmets logos and no more asymmetrical helmets with different logos on each side or a logo on one side and a number on the other.

It looks dumb in college and it looks dumb when the Steelers do it.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

15 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I wish I could like this more than once. The NCAA really needs to reign that crap in. No more oversized helmets and no more asymmetrical helmets with different logos on each side or a logo on one side and a number on the other.

It looks dumb in college and it looks dumb when the Steelers do it.

The Steelers at least have history with it. Boise State’s original helmets were cool but the trend has been overblown since then.

The funniest thing was when Oregon State did a Steelers helmet (late 90s, I think) with a regular sized Beaver logo on one side and nothing on the other. No explanation whatsoever.

• Like 3

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

22 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

The Steelers at least have history with it. Boise State’s original helmets were cool but the trend has been overblown since then.

The funniest thing was when Oregon State did a Steelers helmet (late 90s, I think) with a regular sized Beaver logo on one side and nothing on the other. No explanation whatsoever.

The Beavs even went as far as having the Futura Condensed front helmet numbers, too:

spacer.png

• Like 8

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The Steelers at least have history with it.

I may be a traditionalist but historical precedent doesn't always make something look good. For example, it'll never happen (especially with Nike throwing white at home out of the window) but the Lakers have almost always looked better in their Sunday whites than they do in gold. They should've switched to white at home full-time years ago.

21 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The reason why it worked for Boise State is because the contours and shape of their logo made it perfect for the "Michigan Panthers" treatment. Even then, the helmets would improve by leaps and bounds by having the logo on both sides instead of just one.

Another school that made it work, IMO, was Arizona State. The pitchfork already looked good on a helmet anyway, so there were no real downsides to making it bigger.

The actual problem, like with all uniform trends, was all the other schools hopping on the oversized logo fad without giving the slightest bit of thought to how it would work with their brand.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

35 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The reason why it worked for Boise State is because the contours and shape of their logo made it perfect for the "Michigan Panthers" treatment. Even then, the helmets would improve by leaps and bounds by having the logo on both sides instead of just one.

Another school that made it work, IMO, was Arizona State. The pitchfork already looked good on a helmet anyway, so there were no real downsides to making it bigger.

The actual problem, like with all uniform trends, was all the other schools hopping on the oversized logo fad without giving the slightest bit of thought to how it would work with their brand.

Like this abomination. The logo is so oversized that you can't even tell Pete is wearing a cowboy hat. Then to top it off he's facing backwards. 

Amazon.com : Oklahoma State Replica Speed Mini Helmet - Pistol Pete :  Sports & Outdoors

• Like 5

Is this the right place to put this? Ah, whatever.

I have a proposition to the Reese's Senior Bowl: Y'all already have some great college themed branding with the new Fighting Cuppies stuff. THROW CUPPIE ON THOSE JERSEYS! It would at least liven up the cookie-cutter Nike stock you dress in now (although they could do much worse).

2022 Reese's Senior Bowl: Who were the winners from the game? - Big Blue  View

fighting-cuppy.svg

Adidas also did a bit of better job leaning into the Reese's branding, even if it was subtle. I mean, look at the cup on the sleeves!

NFL Draft 2018: Senior Bowl game time, tv, live stream, rosters

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I have a proposition to the Reese's Senior Bowl: Y'all already have some great college themed branding with the new Fighting Cuppies stuff. THROW CUPPIE ON THOSE JERSEYS! It would at least liven up the cookie-cutter Nike stock you dress in now (although they could do much worse).

fighting-cuppy.svg

Adidas also did a bit of better job leaning into the Reese's branding, even if it was subtle. I mean, look at the cup on the sleeves!

No, we don’t need more advertising even for an all star game

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

fighting-cuppy.svg

This years actually look like there is a cup on the collars. All of these all star games use stock uniforms, but the cup numbers were pretty nice. 

On 2/6/2022 at 2:01 AM, SSmith48 said:

fighting-cuppy.svg

The problem with the peanut butter cup is how small those numbers were inside them. And that template is just horrible. I don't know why the Senior Bowl doesn't just use Cleveland Browns colors for the game, with this year's Pro Bowl jersey design and white pants with stripes or the gradient.  Instead they've been using dark grey with both Nike and adidas.  I'm guessing the uniforms were done before the new branding came out, but I think adding Cuppie to the sleeves and running the ball or leaving him as he is here would be a good design as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/6/2022 at 6:20 AM, walkerws said:

This years actually look like there is a cup on the collars. All of these all star games use stock uniforms, but the cup numbers were pretty nice. 

It's a shame too, because the Senior Bowl didn't use stock uniforms for a few years.

Dunnellon grad Brooks climbing up draft boards

It was a standard template, but it had a design instead of just being the proper colors for the game at that time. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's a shame too, because the Senior Bowl didn't use stock uniforms for a few years.

Dunnellon grad Brooks climbing up draft boards

It was a standard template, but it had a design instead of just being the proper colors for the game at that time. 

I think that was a stock uniform, they just did a little alteration when they ordered.