College Football 2022

Kevin W.

8 hours ago, jerrylawless3 said:

New "Country Roads" alternates for West Virginia – to debut September 1st at Pittsburgh.

Also, one other thing: these pictures were taken on the forest road leading to Coopers Rock State Forest. If ever you're driving through West Virginia (on I-68), take the 20 minutes out of your drive and check out Coopers Rock. There's an exit off the highway just for it, it's a short and easy drive to the overlook, and the overlook itself is spectacular.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I think that's a great upgrade for the Wildcats. The purple/black/purple and purple/purple/white look great. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

I think this is a pretty good blend of traditional and modern looks, while keeping the stripe visible. As long as they don’t blend black accents with the purple and white jerseys, this should look very good on the field.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

New turf design for my alma mater Austin Peay. Personally, I think it's just okay. Could use some more black, and the wordmarks in the endzones are still too small (they were even smaller on the last design).

Also, while the state is centered on the 50 yard line, the 'Gov head' within the state is a couple feet off-center. Would have much rather them center the logo based on the Governor and not the state outline.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

New turf design for my alma mater Austin Peay. Personally, I think it's just okay. Could use some more black, and the wordmarks in the endzones are still too small (they were even smaller on the last design).

Also, while the state is centered on the 50 yard line, the 'Gov head' within the state is a couple feet off-center. Would have much rather them center the logo based on the Governor and not the state outline.

Did they start using the Nuggets wordmark font (I’m sure there’s a name for it) before the Nuggets or after?

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I know I've been here for a long time and should know this, but I thought Northwestern stripes technically meant monocolor stripes--i.e., a thin stripe with offset thin stripes all of one color. Or maybe it's other way around--i.e., a thin stripe with offset stripes of a different color. Either way, if Northwestern stripes only mean one or the other, then either the black jerseys or the purple and white ones aren't Northwestern stripes.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

40 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Did they start using the Nuggets wordmark font (I’m sure there’s a name for it) before the Nuggets or after?

Funny you ask that – I actually brought that up to our AD of Branding when the Nuggets revealed that brand. Austin Peay unveiled their Joe Bosack brand in 2014, 4 years before the Nuggets rebrand. Can't find who did the Nuggets rebrand.

The typeface are incredibly similar – some subtle differences in some corner "serifs" and terminals.

• Like 2

New turf is in at Camp Randall Stadium. Only real change seems to be the thicker out of bounds line which I assume was done purely to display "Barry Alvarez Field". Also, you can see a bit of the progress of the south endzone renovations.

Old:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm legit surprised anybody liked the Northwestern jerseys with the stripes on the midsection. I never thought that looked good.

Those new uniforms look good. Especially the P/P/W combo. Could live without the black and white helmets, but it is what it is. Modern day programs love their options.

• Like 9

Hotter Than July > Thriller

24 minutes ago, Bagel said:

New turf is in at Camp Randall Stadium. Only real change seems to be the thicker out of bounds line which I assume was done purely to display "Barry Alvarez Field". Also, you can see a bit of the progress of the south endzone renovations.

Old:

spacer.png

I really like the thick out of bounds line. 

The W seems like it could be a little bit bigger.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The helmet sucks, but everything else is pretty nice. The "country roads" theme is clever.

The helmet and the pants with stripes make this a beautiful uniform. 

In other news, the Troy Trojans are bring back black helmets in 2022: 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Meh 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I know I've been here for a long time and should know this, but I thought Northwestern stripes technically meant monocolor stripes--i.e., a thin stripe with offset thin stripes all of one color. Or maybe it's other way around--i.e., a thin stripe with offset stripes of a different color. Either way, if Northwestern stripes only mean one or the other, then either the black jerseys or the purple and white ones aren't Northwestern stripes.

When we're on this website, this is what we can call a good question.  If you ask this question anywhere else on the planet, you will be looked at as though you've got a squirrel living on your head, and everyone will slowly back away.

But since you ask here... good question!!

I tend to agree with your first definition. Technically to be a northwestern stripe, it needs to go thin - thick - thin, all one color, separated by the jersey color underneath.  I think that puts us in the minority these days, as I read people on this site pretty much refer to any three part thin - thick - thin stripe as a northwestern stripe.

I know why it's so regimented in my head, and why I'll probably never be able to think of it any other way.  It's because of a job I had right out of college back in the late 80's.  For a few years I worked in a silkscreen sweatshop, doing art production. Pre-computer, everything was cut and pasted by hand, lettering hand set, photographed on a giant production camera, and projected on to silk screens. We did t-shirts, hats, etc. But we also did jerseys (and football helmet decals... that was the best part of the job!) for high schools and the occasional d-3 college. The jerseys were offered from a catalog. Of course, for more money we'd do custom stripes, but the catalog had template stripes that could be applied in whatever colors to a jersey sleeve, in about a dozen different pre-made configurations.  In the catalog, there were offerings like "Double-stripe" (two stripes, same color, separated by jersey) and "Double-fill" (two stripes, same color, separated by a second color). And we offered a few variations on the Northwestern Stripe. IIRC they went something like this;

Standard Northwestern Stripe- three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

Northwestern Stripe, trimmed  - three stripes, all one color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey, with a second color trimming each stripe;

spacer.png

There was a listing we referred to as a USC Stripe (because, obviously, this is what USC wore at the time - three stripes, center stripe a different color, thin-thick-thin, separated by jersey;

spacer.png

(I think most people would probably just think of this as a northwestern stripe, but I can't help thinking of it as something different.)

There was also a variation of the Northwestern Stripe (I remember it that way because we used the NW stripes screen as a starting template) the catalog advertised as a "Standard Pro Stripe" - a NW Stripe with a second color stripe floating in the gaps of the three same color stripe... similar to what Green Bay, Cleveland, Miami, and others wore.

spacer.png

That's how these things got locked into my brain in my 20's, so that's how I always think of them. It's pretty much just semantics, anyway.

It was kind of a fun job, but the pay was terrible and I think I was breathing in some horrific fumes.  I got fired for talkng about a union.

• Like 6