College Football 2022

Kevin W.

11 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

These green jerseys are way better. I don't know why Under Armour is so obsessed with shoehorning blue into everything that uses green with ND.

Because that's probably what Brian Kelly wanted, 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There has been a really clear directive to use navy-lettered, gold-outlined elements on all green items since UA took over, and I hate it.

It's surprisingly difficult to find pictures of them online, but the jerseys ND wore in the '95 Fiesta Bowl are the best green jerseys they've worn — it's white numbers outlined in navy, with gold being used as the trim color to tie into the helmet and pants. It's a perfect way to include navy in a way that's balanced and complements the green and gold, rather than trying to outshine them:

hqdefault.jpg

The reverse jerseys they wore a few years earlier in the Sugar Bowl — green numbers outlined in navy on a white jersey — are pretty damn good as well. It's something I'd like to see ND lean into more, as it's a great look for the women's basketball program:

8cd1faf8-dbf1-4e73-8566-e4470140153b-ndw

Speaking of women's basketball at ND, the old green jerseys under Adidas had the same number treatment I'd love to see on the green football jerseys and thought it looked fantastic:

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBs

• Like 4

6fQjS3M.png

I love when Notre Dame wears green. I've probably embraced the kelly green more than most, as I've worn almost exclusively green ND gear since at least 2004. I'd have the football team wear green 3 times a season if I had my way. But not in those current jerseys. The blue numbers on green are illegible garbage. People (and announcers) have been saying so since they first debuted, yet UA and ND have refused to go back to what worked. I really want to be excited about green jerseys coming back, but those blue numbers really put a damper on it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

13 hours ago, burgundy said:

I love when Notre Dame wears green. I've probably embraced the kelly green more than most, as I've worn almost exclusively green ND gear since at least 2004. I'd have the football team wear green 3 times a season if I had my way. But not in those current jerseys. The blue numbers on green are illegible garbage. People (and announcers) have been saying so since they first debuted, yet UA and ND have refused to go back to what worked. I really want to be excited about green jerseys coming back, but those blue numbers really put a damper on it.

I’ll say I don’t mind the blue numbers on green jerseys. Yeah they are an eyesore but with the outline it helps and is better than what Houston (Black with red numbers) has. White would be significantly superior, but until Under Armour either releases a new green jersey, or Nike/Adidas or another outfitter sign them, I don’t think we’ll see green with white numbers soon.

Does anybody else remember the 80's Jerry Faust era green jerseys?  Weird little blue stripe hidden on the sleeve...

spacer.png

It's extremely difficult to find images of that jersey. I'm doing a deep dive and coming up fairly empty.  It's from the 1983 USC game in South Bend.  Can anybody else find a better image?

spacer.png

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Does anybody else remember the 80's Jerry Faust era green jerseys?  Weird little blue stripe hidden on the sleeve...

spacer.png

It's extremely difficult to find images of that jersey. I'm doing a deep dive and coming up fairly empty.  It's from the 1983 USC game in South Bend.  Can anybody else find a better image?

spacer.png

A few more pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Similar to UA's current philosophy, Gerry Faust decided that a green jersey MUST include blue, giving us these... unique stripes. Faust even said they were one of the ugliest uniforms he'd ever seen. The blue stripe was the "Madonna Blue" they wore at the time that was basically royal blue. Faust's use of Madonna Blue was an attempt to go back to ND's traditional blue and gold after years of wearing green under coach Devine, but he wanted to go back to the school's original shade of blue instead of navy. Of course, like much of his tenure at ND, he came up short at that too. If they used the original blue, they'd look like UCLA:

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

While it hasn’t been explicitly stated by the school, some folks believe these are new Texas uniforms. It’s hard to see, but the Longhorn collar logo appears gone, and some are speculating the shoulder numbers were dropped, too (it’s a single digit number, so I don’t think this one image proves anything). I’ve also seen debate whether the shade of orange is darker. Their shade has definitely gotten lighter over the years. We need better photos to confirm anything.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

While it hasn’t been explicitly stated by the school, some folks believe these are new Texas uniforms. It’s hard to see, but the Longhorn collar logo appears gone, and some are speculating the shoulder numbers were dropped, too (it’s a single digit number, so I don’t think this one image proves anything). I’ve also seen debate whether the shade of orange is darker. Their shade has definitely gotten lighter over the years. We need better photos to confirm anything.

Even if the only change is the removal of the Longhorn chest logo, it's already a huge improvement. The chest has been overcrowded for years now on the Texas uniform.

3 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Even if the only change is the removal of the Longhorn chest logo, it's already a huge improvement. The chest has been overcrowded for years now on the Texas uniform.

they should just remove the XII while they are at it

• LOL 3

On 7/2/2022 at 1:09 AM, burgundy said:

IIRC ND is rather insistent that both blue and gold be present on any green jerseys nowadays...why they feel it has to be in "green version of white jersey" form, I don't know, when "green version of home jersey" tended to work much better.  Hell, inverting the numbers to gold trimmed in blue would be an improvement here.

• Like 5

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

It’s hard to see, but the Longhorn collar logo appears gone, and some are speculating the shoulder numbers were dropped, too (it’s a single digit number, so I don’t think this one image proves anything).

This post confirms no TV numbers.