College Football 2022

Kevin W.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure why purple dominant teams adding black became such a thing.  Certainly isn't because it looks good.  Just muddy and dark and lacking in contrast. TCU's purple with black sucks. Northwestern's sucks. Sacramento Kings, Colorado Rockies... all crappy, color-wise. Purple is an awesome color. The black isn't adding anything.

TCU... black helmets... 1938.

d9df54835b1ff1638d3d30201fb53997--heisma

I feel like you're in the minority when you say TCU's purple with black "sucks", because that's all I ever see when it comes to the concepts on this forum.

• Like 11

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 3/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, flyersfan said:

I'm a fan of the TCU frog collar. It's uniquely them, and I think it works as a modern look. Awesome jersey element. Simply make the jersey numbers contrast more, make them white. Too often its too much dark on dark, especially in shadows. Keep helmets satin, and keep stripes off the helmets, or keep them simple and straight. The white uniform is great, the others just need some visibility help. I won't complain if they simplify, but they have to stay different from Northwestern's chosen identity. I just believe the current set is more of a "modern classic" with tweaks needed than a disaster, a la the Denver Broncos

TCU Football: Way-too-early 2021 game-by-game predictions - Page 2Evaluating TCU safety Ar'Darius Washington's fit with the Baltimore Ravens  - Frogs O' War

I'd like TCU's uniforms more if the spikes were contained to the collar and cuffs like the LT era uniforms, kind of like Florida State's collar for a more modern example. I agree they really need to get rid of the gray/silver elements of the jersey and they also need to just stick to that purple helmet in your second photo, no more chrome. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, aawagner011 said:

There appears to be heavy smoke around Georgia updating its font and dropping Bulldog Bold.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Georgia ever getting off the stolen Packers logo?

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6uXNWAo.png

46 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Is it really stolen if the Packers gave permission to Georgia and Grambling to use the logo? 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Cujo said:

This is one of the wildest takes I’ve read on this board. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• 2 weeks later...

There should be an intro course to these boards where the first chapter states that it's totally okay for the Packers & UGA, who agreed to share a logo literally over half a century ago, share a logo. Neither institution seems to mind. It's never an issue, it looks great, it's iconically tied to both, and yet people still bring it up as if it is an issue that needs resolution. 

The New York Mets use a logo that belonged to the New York Giants. The Twins, Reds and Bears share the wishbone C. The Braves and Alabama have very similar A monograms. 

There's a big difference between very specifically rendered contemporary graphic design getting yanked and institutions that were around back before the graphic design age that shared similar but embroider friendly emblems that became a part of their central identity.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

13 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

There should be an intro course to these boards where the first chapter states that it's totally okay for the Packers & UGA, who agreed to share a logo literally over half a century ago, share a logo. Neither institution seems to mind. It's never an issue, it looks great, it's iconically tied to both, and yet people still bring it up as if it is an issue that needs resolution. 

The New York Mets use a logo that belonged to the New York Giants. The Twins, Reds and Bears share the wishbone C. The Braves and Alabama have very similar A monograms. 

There's a big difference between very specifically rendered contemporary graphic design getting yanked and institutions that were around back before the graphic design age that shared similar but embroider friendly emblems that became a part of their central identity.

While we're on the topic, at one point, the Cubs, Reds and Indians all shared the wishbone C — and the Reds were the last to adopt it. The Cubs had a wishbone C from 1930-1936 and 1940-1956, and Cleveland used it from 1933-1972; the Reds wore one from 1934-1960, then picked it back up in 1967 for good.

Sports logo design used to be really different; it's kinda neat to have relics of that era across sports, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6fQjS3M.png

On 1/24/2022 at 7:51 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Should probably start this thread off with actual news. Looks like the Axiom helmet will be making the rounds at more schools this season. 

Sheesh, are they playing football or riding motorcycles?

On 3/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure why purple dominant teams adding black became such a thing.  Certainly isn't because it looks good.  Just muddy and dark and lacking in contrast. TCU's purple with black sucks. Northwestern's sucks. Sacramento Kings, Colorado Rockies... all crappy, color-wise. Purple is an awesome color. The black isn't adding anything.

I still like Northwestern’s 1990s football look. It was incredibly basic, but bring back that design and make jerseys and pants both available in purple, black, and white, and I’m not complaining. Then again, I like their current striping too...

I don’t mind a bit of black with purple, but I agree that the Sacramento Kings would look better with just purple and grey, and that the Rockies could stand to make their overall aesthetic a bit less dark. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I still like Northwestern’s 1990s football look. It was incredibly basic, but bring back that design and make jerseys and pants both available in purple, black, and white, and I’m not complaining. Then again, I like their current striping too...

I don’t mind a bit of black with purple, but I agree that the Sacramento Kings would look better with just purple and grey, and that the Rockies could stand to make their overall aesthetic a bit less dark. 

I was probably in a grumpier than usual mood when I went on that "purple and black always sucks" rant.  I seem to remember liking  Northwestern's initial  90's black jerseys, too. In my head, I feel like I can picture purple/black uniforms that work, but more often than not the team will use a shade of purple that's too dark and leans to blue, and the black just disappears against it.  If I was trying to make it work, I'd lighten the purple just a hair, and probably dull it with a slight touch of gray.  Just enough to keep a bit more contrast between the purple and black.  Also, IMO when a team uses a non-traditional color scheme, they're better served to make more traditional choices with the graphics/logos/striping/etc.  Cutting edge colors paired with cutting edge graphics is overkill to me (why that Black Panther necklace that TCU currently wears doesn't work for me, I guess). 

Plus I just like purple. Let it breathe.