2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

9 minutes ago, bushy said:

I really wonder what my Heat will do for the City edition. 

In all honesty, I wish they just went Vice full time and retired our current sets. Nothing wrong with them, but we’ve had the same look for over 20 years over multiple different eras and ever since the Vice was introduced I can’t get over it. 

Apparently a white version of the city from this year

15 minutes ago, bushy said:

I really wonder what my Heat will do for the City edition. 

In all honesty, I wish they just went Vice full time and retired our current sets. Nothing wrong with them, but we’ve had the same look for over 20 years over multiple different eras and ever since the Vice was introduced I can’t get over it. 

Agreed. I wish the NBA would overhaul their uniform program altogether. Heat could wear white, pink, blue, and black versions of their Vice design, and a throwback to the red alt of the Hardaway years. I feel like that’s the best way they could go. As it is, they’re one of 57,623 red and black teams. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

Apparently a white version of the city from this year

Yeah after I posted I went back to page 1 and read every post lol. 

Pretty lame. 

Well, I planned on buying the black mashup so I won’t feel bad about getting an “outdated” jersey late that looks better in black than white. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Agreed. I wish the NBA would overhaul their uniform program altogether. Heat could wear white, pink, blue, and black versions of their Vice design, and a throwback to the red alt of the Hardaway years. I feel like that’s the best way they could go. As it is, they’re one of 57,623 red and black teams. 

Agree. And I went to 3 Hawks games vs the Heat this year, two in the playoffs. They basically have the same color scheme as us just slightly different shades. It felt like we were playing ourselves lol 

• Like 1

If the Celtics  introduced a new alternate that was attractive and utilized a black and gold color scheme, would you guys want them to wear it full time? 

If the answer is yes, you’re in denial or just delusional.

If the answer is no, what’s the difference between this metaphor and Miami’s vice jerseys. They look great, but that’s not the Miami Heat brand that has been consistent for the last 20 years. You guys didn’t want Utah’s Red Rock to be full time; keep the same energy with Miami

• Like 4
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Any team can wear black and gold. Vice colors are unique to Miami. They look weird in any other city.

Coming from the guy who posts “VICE COLORS!!!” Any time an intramural team in Bismarck North Dakota wears it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

Las Vegas?

Nah, Las Vegas' lights are a different kind of color scheme from the Miami Vice kind of color scheme.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 5/16/2022 at 8:00 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If the Celtics  introduced a new alternate that was attractive and utilized a black and gold color scheme, would you guys want them to wear it full time? 

If the answer is yes, you’re in denial or just delusional.

If the answer is no, what’s the difference between this metaphor and Miami’s vice jerseys. They look great, but that’s not the Miami Heat brand that has been consistent for the last 20 years. You guys didn’t want Utah’s Red Rock to be full time; keep the same energy with Miami

The Celtics are the most tradition-rich team in the league. The Heat have some tradition, but certainly not on the Celts’ level. 

On 5/16/2022 at 5:52 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Any team can wear black and gold. Vice colors are unique to Miami. They look weird in any other city.

With perhaps the exception of San Antonio.  #Fiesta

Here’s what I’ll say about the Heat: brand equity matters. I know the NBA in general has taken a fat dump on brand equity over the last few years, but it still matters and ought to be preserved as much as possible, especially in the NBA.

The Heat have been a red/black team for 34 years, won three championships in it, and multiple hall of famers have worn it over the course of illustrious careers. “Classic”, “tradition”, “championships”, etc are not buzzwords, they are vital byproducts and elements of strong brand equity. The Heat have certainly built a great deal of it in red/black by now.

To be honest? I actually thought Vice looked great. I had no problem with the design or colors in a vacuum. What I have a problem with is the idea that it should supplant 30+ years of brand equity for no good reason other than just to do it. There’s nothing so flawed or problematic about the current identity that warrants it being dropped for something so vastly different and course-changing as Vice.

The perfect balance between the two identities had already been struck with Vice being a City Edition, and that’s the most it ever should be, in my opinion. Anything more is another loss for brand equity in the NBA, which needs to happen much less than it has been.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

22 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The perfect balance between the two identities had already been struck with Vice being a City Edition, and that’s the most it ever should be, in my opinion. Anything more is another loss for brand equity in the NBA, which needs to happen much less than it has been.

The perfect solution here would be to allow the four Vice colorways to cycle through on a four-year cycle as Miami's City edition. But that would obviously be a very tough sell to the merchandisers. (That said, despite that unfortunate reality, are Miami the only team who's actually toned down the uniform wackiness after the Adidas->Nike switch?)

I was struck last night at how nice and classic the uniform matchup looked despite the Celtics and Heat obviously representing very different eras. The current Heat unis are modern classics, which befits how they run their franchise, and don't need to change much just to chase trends. Miami's shade of red, alone, is beautiful and unique in the NBA and separates them from the other red/black teams, to say nothing else of the many other details of their brand that do as well. (Why concern yourself with Atlanta? They'll do something radically different in 3 years again.)

• Like 6

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Here’s what I’ll say about the Heat: brand equity matters. I know the NBA in general has taken a fat dump on brand equity over the last few years, but it still matters and ought to be preserved as much as possible, especially in the NBA.

The Heat have been a red/black team for 34 years, won three championships in it, and multiple hall of famers have worn it over the course of illustrious careers. “Classic”, “tradition”, “championships”, etc are not buzzwords, they are vital byproducts and elements of strong brand equity. The Heat have certainly built a great deal of it in red/black by now.

To be honest? I actually thought Vice looked great. I had no problem with the design or colors in a vacuum. What I have a problem with is the idea that it should supplant 30+ years of brand equity for no good reason other than to just to do it. There’s nothing so flawed or problematic about the current identity that warrants it being dropped for something so vastly different and course-changing as Vice.

This is spot on. It also represents the conundrum the NBA and other leagues create for themselves with these uniform programs that veer from core brands. Sometimes, the designs are really good and big sellers, which inevitably prompts these existential questions of whether they should follow that revenue and adopt a new identity. We also see it with the red-rocks look in Utah and the Valley looks in Phoenix. 

Of those, only the Phoenix example could be adapted to still bear resemblance to the core brand. With the others, you'd be, as you said, supplanting 30+ years of brand equity. 

It takes discipline to disregard something that's popular for the higher purpose of protecting something like brand equity. I'm now sure how many owners these days care about such things.  It's all about what's shiny and new.  

• Love 2