2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

10 hours ago, tBBP said:

I didn't hate those as much as som--actually back then I ain't hate them at all. But it was so obvious the Pistons were trend-chasing and revenue-chasing as well...and that's before we get to the similarities in treatment/extra colors between this and the Sonics from the same period. 

It's interesting looking back at it now, but I'm not sure I actually hated them before either. At least not on their own merits, because it's actually a nice-looking uniform with a smart upgrade to the brand that, for once, actually reflects the team name.

The issue for me, and I presume many others, was that it took a franchise that, for the prior decade, had been one of the league's best and most exciting and made it look like an expansion franchise. Had they adopted this uniform, but kept the original colors, maybe the shift wouldn't have been as objectionable.  They still would have made the inevitable move back to something closer to the Isiah Thomas-era look, but the shift wouldn't have been so seismic. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It's interesting looking back at it now, but I'm not sure I actually hated them before either. At least not on their own merits, because it's actually a nice-looking uniform with a smart upgrade to the brand that, for once, actually reflects the team name.

The issue for me, and I presume many others, was that it took a franchise that, for the prior decade, had been one of the league's best and most exciting and made it look like an expansion franchise. Had they adopted this uniform, but kept the colors, maybe the shift wouldn't have been as objectionable.  They still would have made the inevitable move back to something closer to the Isiah Thomas-era look, but the shift wouldn't have been so seismic. 

How does that design reflect the team name more? You don’t see and car brands in Detroit with teal branding. Having a horse logo is the only positive from that set and was improved by going back to the teams original colors

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

How does that design reflect the team name more?

I don't think I need to spell out how logos evoking horsepower and car exhaust pipes are more symbolic of the automobile industry (for a team called the PISTONS) than a large, red basketball that just says "Detroit Pistons" in the middle. 

I didn't say the color teal represents the name more. I said the uniforms, which include the logos. 

• Like 10

You can spin it like the colors were evocative of hot-rod culture, which I can buy so the colors never felt completely out of place to me. But the real reason they went to that scheme was it because it was the mid-90's, teal was hot,  and the owners also owned the Detroit Vipers and they used the same colors. 

I loved those uniforms, but I am not a Pistons fan, wasn't old enough to have experienced the Bad Boys era, and was the perfect dumb age (nine) to think they were cool.  

This is like what we were talking about a few pages ago with the oversaturation of team alternates and uni changes now means there's no stakes to uniform changes anymore. In the 90's we didn't' have a strong understanding of how to use alternate uniforms yet so if you wanted to change uniforms you jumped out of the plane with no parachute. The Pistons and Islanders are the two biggest examples of that to me. Went from somewhat staid looks that were associated with multiple championships to completely throwing out the brand entirely for trend-chasing 90's-tastic looks. If that happened today each team would just market test the new look as an alternate.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, projectjohn said:

I'll take it as an appropriately used throwback - it's better than the "Chrome" or "Motor City" garbage they've been churning out for the last 10 years or so, and it will hopefully placate the nostalgia and Gen Z crowds that have been so vociferous for it.

Meanwhile I continue to wait for and be disappointed in their refusal to bring back the mid 2000s reds as their statement jersey.

EtewjfQXAAM0bOO?format=jpg&name=small

The red jersey from the 90s had better color balance with the blue and white piping and blue lettering:

granthilljpg-25e16dea626a17de.jpg

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Sport said:

This is like what we were talking about a few pages ago with the oversaturation of team brands now means there's no stakes to uniform changes anymore. In the 90's we didn't' have a strong understanding of how to use alternate uniforms yet so if you wanted to change uniforms you jumped out of the plane with no parachute. The Pistons and Islanders are the two biggest examples of that to me. Went from somewhat staid looks that were associated with multiple championships to completely throwing the brand entirely for trend-chasing 90's-tastic looks. If that happened today each team would just market test the new look as an alternate.

This is mostly true, but there are exceptions. The most notable, to me, is the Jazz. I thought for sure they were priming us for a Red Rocks takeover of their brand, but instead they jettisoned that completely for Nets- Mountain West. But even they hedged, bringing the 90s mountains uniform along for the ride (because they're cowards).

I'm shocked the Vice uniforms didn't take over in Miami, but I suppose that's fine. It's still a shame they did four versions of that look, all were received well, and now it's just gone.

The NBA's most forgettable teams -- the Hornets and Kings -- recently did full rebrands without hedging, so good for them. Credit where it's due.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

This logo/color scheme was PERFECT for the Pistons

ngcb140

To me they can simply remove the horse and use the wordmark across the chest with red white and blue....voila!! 

Spoiler

Error. Can't remove this. Not a real spoiler. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by Shadojoker
  • Like 1
shado_logo.gif

48 minutes ago, GFB said:

The red jersey from the 90s had better color balance with the blue and white piping and blue lettering:

granthilljpg-25e16dea626a17de.jpg

I would be happy to take that one too - just the 2000s edition is still more or less a color swap of their still-in-use from that time regular look so it would be more easily resurrected.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

This logo/color scheme was PERFECT for the Pistons

ngcb140

I never understood why this logo needed navy blue at all... it makes so much more sense to eliminate that shade and redistribute the colors values up a level 

smTXCHM.png

(apologies for the atrocious corners... the vector copies of the mark are all pretty trashy trace jobs. @Conrad. if you have a better vector copy of this mark, I'd love to get my grubby mitts on it)

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Sport said:

This is like what we were talking about a few pages ago with the oversaturation of team alternates and uni changes now means there's no stakes to uniform changes anymore. In the 90's we didn't' have a strong understanding of how to use alternate uniforms yet so if you wanted to change uniforms you jumped out of the plane with no parachute. The Pistons and Islanders are the two biggest examples of that to me. Went from somewhat staid looks that were associated with multiple championships to completely throwing out the brand entirely for trend-chasing 90's-tastic looks. If that happened today each team would just market test the new look as an alternate.

Kind of a shame we don't see that happen more often...Actually, aside from the Raptors going all in on the big chevron, I'm struggling to think of a good recent basketball example.  It's arguable that teams with, for lack of a better term, jerseylust, still don't really understand that an alternate is a vaild way to test out a possible new look.  If the Jazz had, their new look would have been Red Rocks + white Red Rocks.  Hell, their jumped-shark usage of double blue might never have happened (seriously...HOW DO YOU SCREW UP DOUBLE BLUE?).

• Like 5

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

14 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't think I need to spell out how logos evoking horsepower and car exhaust pipes are more symbolic of the automobile industry (for a team called the PISTONS) than a large, red basketball that just says "Detroit Pistons" in the middle. 

I didn't say the color teal represents the name more. I said the uniforms, which include the logos. 

I still say the ball and circle from the 80s are a cross section of a piston in a chamber.

...because that's the only interpretation that makes it seem acceptable

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chakfu said:

I still say the ball and circle from the 80s are a cross section of a piston in a chamber.

...because that's the only interpretation that makes it seem acceptable

Pretty sure you're mostly right. A top down view of a piston with basketball lines. It's one of those "stare at it for awhile" logos.

lgv5ssjmmchyoe66kkvh0tlzd.gif

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

Definitely an improvement over the various black-jersey-with-robocop-deer-head designs they've been using since the rebrand. (Assuming this replaces that? Hard to keep up.) The blue is an unfortunate detail as it renders the green, which is the real Bucks color, nearly invisible. Why are they still trying to make blue happen?

They did have the green one last year which I liked even better... their brand works well as just dark green, black and cream. No white needed. Definitely no blue needed, but. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

21 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Make that sucker green and it’s a real winner 

They actually did have a green version as their Earned uniform in 2021. That uniform was very popular which might be why they brought back the design

d55b15cb-1b22-4737-85b5-adf85b3beb67-202

15 minutes ago, Digby said:

Definitely an improvement over the various black-jersey-with-robocop-deer-head designs they've been using since the rebrand. (Assuming this replaces that? Hard to keep up.) They did have the green one last year which I liked even better... their brand works well as just dark green, black and cream. No white needed. Definitely no blue needed, but. 

Yeah this new one replaces the old black one. Which, as a Bucks fan, I love and was worried those jerseys would get the Cavs black jersey treatment where a championship is won in those jerseys and are kept around just for nostalgic reasons.

I agree on the blue, it's so unnecessary and I think the uniforms would look better without it

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NH4 said:

They actually did have a green version as their Earned uniform in 2021. That uniform was very popular which might be why they brought back the design

d55b15cb-1b22-4737-85b5-adf85b3beb67-202

Yeah this new one replaces the old black one. Which, as a Bucks fan, I love and was worried those jerseys would get the Cavs black jersey treatment where a championship is won in those jerseys and are kept around just for nostalgic reasons.

I agree on the blue, it's so unnecessary and I think the uniforms would look better without it

The fact I had forgotten about the green uniforms speaks to the sad state of constant turnover of NBA uniforms. Those are really sharp, I wouldn’t mind seeing a matching white version as primary uniforms. 

I kinda like the blue, so long as it remains a trim color, not a primary color. Green/Cream/Blue is a very Wisconsin color scheme IMO. If there’s a color they need to ditch it’s definitely black.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

Make that sucker green and it’s a real winner 

I know the point has already been made, but I had to post this image from a night I'll never forget because it's the first time I ever saw my Bucks win a finals game. Which was especially significant, because I watched it from the local Wisconsin "embassy" in what is now my current neighborhood in Chicago when I was in town to set things up for my eventual move. 

spacer.png

(Sidenote: I... uhhh... may or may not have made threats of violence towards the douchebags who... of all the bars they could have gone to in Chicago... showed up in Suns jerseys to a spot with "CAMP RANDALL SOUTH" literally painted on the side. I don't remember doing it though. Which totally has nothing to do with how much I was drinking that night...........)

Anyway. I know more people here probably associate me with the Brewers, and rightfully so. Because I find baseball uniforms the most interesting. But I've always been a Bucks fan first and foremost, and I 100% approve of these. Do I wish they would just bring back the green ones? Absolutely. But I understand what they're going for here, and these will probably replace their ugly old black alts that resemble those stupid "blue line" t-shirts a little too much for my tastes. 

The color balance isn't what I would have chosen. I would have gone with a green wordmark and numbers with a cream outline instead of what they did here, which makes the green pretty much disappear. They also forced the blue in, like on their regular home & road (icon & association... whatever) which I wish they would stop trying to make a thing. But overall, I like these and more than likely will own one soon.

I give these a solid B in a vacuum. But graded on what I know they were going for, I give it a A-.

• Like 6