On 1/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Meh.  I never could understand the one legged bird. Didn't care for the wordmark embedded in the stripe.  Number font is wonky.

Nice secondary logo, tho.

It's nice to see I'm not the only person on Earth who doesn't like the Screagle. It's a childish logo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Joe Juneau

I still remember Hasek throwing his blocker at him when he tripped him up behind the net. This was in the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals... Nevermind, checked the highlights and it was Bondra, not Juneau.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It's nice to see I'm not the only person on Earth who doesn't like the Screagle. It's a childish logo.

More childish than literally making your logo your name with a hockey stick for a letter? At least the old Jets put a roundel element and a jet in to give their primary something logo-based, all the Caps use in theirs is the three stars of DC.

There's a reason people have been pushing for either version of the eagle logo to come in as the new primary; the current one is boring and stale.

• Like 2

This jersey is a favorite of mine too. I love the blue-bronze-black era Caps look so dang much. Blue is my favorite color too and I just love the way the colors work together. This was the only blue-dominant jersey in Caps history for a while too before the Stadium Series and more recent third jerseys. 

The team name in the stripe is super dumb but also contributes a lot to its nostalgic 90’s quirkiness. The Screagle is a fine logo but the Weagle is superior imo. The Capitol Building logo is top tier. 

It’s funny, because if any team in the Big 4 deserves to own red and blue as a color scheme, it should be a team from D.C., but I genuinely think the Caps’ best look has always been this 90’s/early 00’s blue-bronze-black. It’ll never happen after the success of the Ovi/Backstrom era, but I’d love to see them return to that color scheme in one fashion or another. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

It’s funny, because if any team in the Big 4 deserves to own red and blue as a color scheme, it should be a team from D.C., but I genuinely think the Caps’ best look has always been this 90’s/early 00’s blue-bronze-black. It’ll never happen after the success of the Ovi/Backstrom era, but I’d love to see them return to that color scheme in one fashion or another. 

I feel it's probably what the Caps'll do for their next Reverse Retro, if I had to guess; they don't exactly have much else in terms of color schemes to use. Maybe the Capitol in blue or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Just now, Ridleylash said:

I feel it's probably what the Caps'll do for their next Reverse Retro, if I had to guess; they don't exactly have much else in terms of color schemes to use. Maybe the Capitol in blue or something along those lines.

A blue jersey with the Capitol building on it immediately has the potential to be the best jersey in team history. Not saying they can’t screw it up (a certain other sports franchise in the District just showed us there truly are no uniform ideas too bad to vomit out to the public), but it’s got the potential to be a doozy. 

• Like 2

I've long said around here that the '95-'07 Capitals set is not just my favorite Capitals set, but my favorite sports uniform identity point blank period--they're the very reason I was such a huge Caps fan back in the day (which only intensified once former star Pensacola Ice Pilot Glen Metropolit made it onto the squad). But before that I stayed rocking with Joe Juneau, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, of course Olie the Goalie, Adam Oates, and of course how can you not love a guy whose last name literally was the dang mascot? (That'd be Mike Eagles, for the uninitiated.) Crazily enough, the black alternates were my favorite of the bunch--up until they made them the primaries, because then they lost their luster. 

It was the color scheme--that unique shade of blue, plus the bronze and the black. It was the team font that, wonky though it was, looked like it got pulled straight off our currency notes. It was the angled stripe (though maybe having the team nickname in said stripe was a bit much). It was the swooping screagle (seriously never heard or seen it called that until this very thread). It was the capital dome alternate. It was all that--and then some. Yes, my favorite sports uniforms ever.

Spoiler

Not that anyone cares, but my second-favorite sets of all time? The '95-'99 New England Patriots.

Behind that is the '97-'03 Jacksonville Jaguars, and following that up is the '95-'04 Utah Jazz.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

More childish than literally making your logo your name with a hockey stick for a letter? At least the old Jets put a roundel element and a jet in to give their primary something logo-based, all the Caps use in theirs is the three stars of DC.

There's a reason people have been pushing for either version of the eagle logo to come in as the new primary; the current one is boring and stale.

I'll buy you a Caps jersey of your choice if you show me where I said the Screagle is worse than the wordmark logo.

• Like 1

The colours of this era are simply fantastic, so much more original than just being another red, white & blue team, and using the Presidential Seal as inspiration was ingenious.  I wish they'd kept them longer and toned down some of the more trendy elements of the jersey.  The script is unnecessary and the asymmetrical striping has always seemed a bit off.  A compromise between the blue and black jerseys of this era could have been amazing.