Oxford United Redesign

MDGP

I've been playing football manager over the past few weeks, and recently I was hired by the SkyBet League One side Oxford United. Prior to taking over, I wasn't overly familiar with the team's crest. Suffice to say, I am not a fan of the dated 60s style logo that looks like a child's drawing of an ox, unnecessary pinstripes, and weird font choices.

Oxford United F.C. - Wikipedia

I wanted to redesign the crest similar to Norwich's recent phenomenal upgrade. The new crest combines a more photo-realistic take on the ox while maintaining similar line work of the historic crest. The ox's horns are thinner and longer, and the whole head takes up more of the shield. The font is changed from sans serif to serif and altered to eliminate unnecessary empty space. Finally, I flipped the colors simply because I found it more aesthetically pleasant.

1eeoGfZ.jpg

Oxford's kits are fine, but nothing special. The primary is yellow with blue accents, the clash black with a geometric tonal pattern, and a third with a blue gradient pattern. I wanted to base my designs on historical kits worn by oxford.

HOME: The home kit hearkens back to the 1930s Headington United kits, combining vertical stripes of the 1930 kits with the 1935 hooped socks. The kit sponsor for all jerseys is changed to Mini, which is manufactured in the suburbs of the city.

CLASH: The clash kit brings back the historical red kit, creating a re-imagining that combines the designs of the red and blue admiral designs of the late 1970s and the red/white pinstriped design of the early 80s. The prinstripes here alternate blue and white and the front logos are yellow with blue outlines.

THIRD: The third kit features tonal stripes inspired by the tonal stripes worn during the squad's 1985-86 League Cup Title with a local twist. Rather than the normal yellow and blue, the jersey uses a tan and brown scheme referencing the medieval architecture of the university and city.

dha06Pk.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The current Oxford United crest isn't the best and really could do with a redesign. And this one is pretty good, as it keeps the style of the Desmond Morris designed logo.

The away and third shirts look good, but the home being striped isn't the best choice, the 2010/11 shirt was really unpopular with the fans, so I would suggest going with something without stripes and lighten the yellow (Oxford have played in a lot of different shades of yellow over the years, but nothing that bright, at least according to this record of Oxford shirts).

Love the crest update! Keeps the perfect amount of continuity, by maintaining all the pleasant distinct features of the ox, but upgrades all the things that needed fixing. 

The jerseys are also solid designs, and look quite nice, though if you want to address @VampyrRabbitDesign's point, you could just switch so the home has the pinstripes and the away has white-outlined blue stripes (like the sleeves of the '77 aways on that Oxford Kits site they mentioned).

I'm not sure lighter yellow and/or switching the crest's colors around would be improvements, but I'd be curious to see them, just in case.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I've taken your C+C into account and made some adjustments based on your suggestions.

First, here is a comparison flipping the colors of the crest from Blue to Yellow. The yellow is how I originally designed it, but personally I'm not a huge fan and think it works better with the blue shield.

XqK9YnR.png

On the jerseys, I flipped the Home and Clash designs, making the primary yellow with blue pinstripes and the clash red with navy blue thick stripes. The clash kit also switches to blue shorts and yellow numbers as I felt they were more cohesive with the new design.

jONvBaB.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 1 month later...

oh wow these are GORGEOUS. if these were real I'd absolutely want a home or third, and the clash balances the red/blue/yellow scheme really well. then again, I drive a Mini, so I might be a tiny bit biased.

also, big fan of the Flat Teddie avatar

53Ocz8U.png

Archived