infrared41's Who am I? Super Bowl Trivia for the Old School Crowd - Super Bowl LVI Edition

infrared41

13 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Ken Stabler?

Red Comet gets in the game with Ken Stabler.

I played in one Super Bowl. We won.

Super Bowl XI. Raiders beat the Vikings 32-14

II. I played a key role in one of the most incredible finishes to a playoff game in NFL history. If I don't do what I did, the rest never happens.

With 1:17 left in the game, Stabler's 30 yard TD run put the Raiders up 7-6 in the 1972 Divisional playoffs against the Steelers. The Immaculate Reception never happens if the Raiders don't score the go ahead TD.

III. I was a college teammate and backup to someone who played in one of the most famous Super Bowls ever.

Stabler and Joe Namath were teammates at Alabama. The Super Bowl was Super Bowl III.

IV. I am one of just three players from this "other side" who started in a Super Bowl. Two of us are in the Hall of Fame.

Stabler is one of just three left handed QBs to start a Super Bowl. Steve Young and Boomer Esiason are the other two,

V. I was involved in two pretty famous "supernatural" plays - one of which led to a rule change.

"Ghost to the Post" and "the Holy Roller." The "Holy Roller" led to a rule change after the '78 season.

3227-415Fr.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tina Turner

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Round VII

I. I played in my team's first Super Bowl. (We won) I almost played in another team's first Super Bowl, but I was cut before the playoffs. I called it a career after that.

II. My Dad also played football. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated when he was at UCLA in 1971. I almost went to UCLA but chose this Pac-12 school instead. We played different positions.

III. Speaking of my Dad, it's been said that his signing with this alternate league gave that league some much needed credibility. The credibility didn't last. Neither did the league.

IV. I set a then NFL record for the longest play ever. I did it on Monday Night Football.

V. The team with which I played the majority of my career is a real sore spot with a certain NFL fan base.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, waltere said:

Chris McAlister

Waltere is our first repeat winner with Chris McAlister

I. I played in my team's first Super Bowl. (We won) I almost played in another team's first Super Bowl, but I was cut before the playoffs. I called it a career after that.

McAlister won Super Bowl XXXV with the Ravens. He was on the Saints roster in 2009, but was cut before the playoffs.  The Saints went on to win Super Bowl XLIV.

II. My Dad also played football. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated when he was at UCLA in 1971. I almost went to UCLA but chose this Pac-12 school instead. We played different positions.

His father, James, was a RB at UCLA and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Chris McAlister considered UCLA before ending up at Arizona.

III. Speaking of my Dad, it's been said that his signing with this alternate league gave that league some much needed credibility. The credibility didn't last. Neither did the league.

James McAlister was one of three potential first round NFL picks who instead signed with the WFL's California Sun.

IV. I set a then NFL record for the longest play ever. I did it on Monday Night Football.

107 yard missed FG return vs. the Broncos on Monday Night Football

V. The team with which I played the majority of my career is a real sore spot with a certain NFL fan base.

The Ravens aren't terribly popular with Browns fans for obvious reasons.

4424-974370Fr.jpgs-l300.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

That MNF missed field goal return is one of my favorite plays.  The block by Ray Lewis was devastating.

. . . and interesting that you found a picture of McAlister wearing No. 28.  I have no memory of that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

39 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

That MNF missed field goal return is one of my favorite plays.  The block by Ray Lewis was devastating.

. . . and interesting that you found a picture of McAlister wearing No. 28.  I have no memory of that.

It's weird as nobody wore 21 during the one season McAlister wore 28. I guess the uniform change prompted him to switch.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I just went with one of his football cards from the 2000 season. I didn't know what number he wore.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I just went with one of his football cards from the 2000 season. I didn't know what number he wore.

For the record, I would have nailed this one if I had read it on time.

Round VIII

I. I played ten seasons with my primary team and I played in the second of their two Super Bowl appearances. We're 0-2.

II. These days, I seriously doubt I'd go in the first round of the draft  like I did when I was originally drafted.

III. I led the NCAA in these two special teams stats; one  2005 and one in 2006.

IV. At the end of my tenure with my first team, I was the career leader in two statistical categories.

IV. No, I'm not the guy who used to host a late night talk show.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

48 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Jonathan Stewart

ninersdd with the win. We were looking for Jonathan Stewart.

I. I played ten seasons with my primary team and I played in the second of their two Super Bowl appearances. We're 0-2.

Stewart played for the Panthers in Super Bowl 50. It was Carolina's second appearance.

II. These days, I seriously doubt I'd go in the first round of the draft  like I did when I was originally drafted.

He was drafted 13th overall in the 2008 NFL Draft. As a RB, it's highly unlikely he'd be a first round pick today.

III. I led the NCAA in these two special teams stats; one  2005 and one in 2006.

2005 - most kick returns for TDs (2) and 2006 - kick return yards (646). He also led the Pac-10 in rushing yards in 2007 (1,722).

IV. At the end of my tenure with my first team, I was the career leader in two statistical categories.

Career rushing attempts (1,501) and career rushing yards (7,318).

IV. No, I'm not the guy who used to host a late night talk show.

That would be Jon Stewart.

107710-2056816599Fr.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived