I think Washington Commanders is lame…here’s my idea!

AkiraleTorimaki

I am of the belief that the name “Washington Commanders”, while okay at best, isn’t particularly cool as a name, especially since they’ve had the name “Braves” when they played in Boston before.

They were the “Boston Braves” in 1932.

Personally, I believe they should have gone back to Braves, but rebranded the term to a military theme so as to avoid the risk of offending Native Americans.

I even made some logos for that purpose (though I think it could all be improved):

spacer.png

heUxva7.png

3 hours ago, Skycast said:

Please explain to me how going from their previous nickname to Braves is any kind of good idea?

No offense to the OP but it isn’t. Plus, Braves has no connection to US GI’s. The proposal is akin to the Cleveland Guardians NOT changing to their current name and switching to a logo a featuring Indian motorcycles.

I really like your first logo (the one with the silhouette of a soldier), but I gotta agree with the above comments- calling them the Braves ain't it. Ironically, your logo would actually work better for the name "Commanders." That's got more of a military connotation than "Braves", which is inescapably linked to Native American culture.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:15 AM, AkiraleTorimaki said:

I am of the belief that the name “Washington Commanders”, while okay at best, isn’t particularly cool as a name, especially since they’ve had the name “Braves” when they played in Boston before.

They were the “Boston Braves” in 1932.

Personally, I believe they should have gone back to Braves, but rebranded the term to a military theme so as to avoid the risk of offending Native Americans.

I even made some logos for that purpose (though I think it could all be improved):

spacer.png

heUxva7.png

It should have been the RedWolves... and I bet that's what they were going with, but they were just too cheap to buy it.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 2/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, Skycast said:

Please explain to me how going from their previous nickname to Braves is any kind of good idea?

Easily.. rxd skin is a legit slur...Braves or Chiefs isnt..Indians is dub politically incorrect just like Oriental was for asians...its not that complicated...

whats brave? sounds great...rxd skin not so much no different than blackskin or whiteskin

Using any name with any sort of ties to Native Americans defeats the purpose of changing the name in the first place. Even when used with the military in mind, I don't like it at all. The NFL's fetishization of the military is way too ingrained into the league's identity. Braves, no matter how you use it, is a bad nickname. If you want to embrace a military theme, even Commanders is a better choice. 

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Falling back on Braves as the Washington NFL team's nickname -- especially in an attempt to pay tribute to military personnel -- makes no sense to me.  I have never known of any country whose people are known widely to refer to their nation's armed forces collectively as "[name of nation]'s Bravest," but, at least here in the United States, many people in many communities will identify their respective fire departments as, collectively, "[name of municipality]'s Bravest" (e.g. the moniker of "New York's Bravest" for the Fire Department of the City of New York).  Even then, I have never known of a firefighter -- let alone a member of a military force -- being called "a brave" (singular noun) or a group of firefighters -- or especially a group of military personnel -- being classified as "braves" (plural noun).

As for the silhouette of the side of a helmeted soldier's head as a logo, I think that if any nickname is compatible with that design, it is not Commanders.  To me, the silhouette suggests an enlisted member of an army or a marine corps, and particularly someone whose rank is low (think private or, at best, corporal) even among enlisted personnel.  Meanwhile, the word "commander," in a military sense, gives me the impression of a high-ranking officer with thousands of people and multitudes of resources at his beck and call.

14 hours ago, SpreadJerm said:

Easily.. rxd skin is a legit slur...Braves or Chiefs isnt..Indians is dub politically incorrect just like Oriental was for asians...its not that complicated...

whats brave? sounds great...rxd skin not so much no different than blackskin or whiteskin

Yea, give me a break dude, in this day and age Braves isn't going to cut it, it's just that simple. Only a matter of time for Atlanta.

8 hours ago, jbird669 said:

It should have been the Sentinels. Missed a golden opportunity here. 

RedWolves was the golden opportunity... and the favorite going into this. 

It's another botch by Snyder. I don't even like this team, but damn... 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

On 2/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, 29texan said:

RedWolves was the golden opportunity... and the favorite going into this. 

It's another botch by Snyder. I don't even like this team, but damn... 

What makes you think RedWolves was the favorite? I don't know of anyone who liked that or thought it was one of the top favorites considered. 

N3d5IIl.png

Archived