Houston Astros x Sugar Land Space Cowboys

coco1997

Last week the Astros' AAA affiliate unveiled their new identity, the Sugar Land Space Cowboys. Although the new branding was  met with mix reactions, a few things about it appealed to me: the addition of teal to the Astros' navy and orange colorway, nebula-like sleeve and side gradients (a clear nod to the Astros' tequila sunrise uniforms), and going all-in on space imagery, which includes a rocket ship logo and starfield within the scripts and numbers.

Despite boasting a space-themed identity themselves, I've long felt the Astros' current look is too traditional and, dare I say it, bland. With that in mind, I thought it would be fun to redesign the Astros using the Space Cowboys identity as inspiration.

To start, I made the cap logo a modified version of the Astros' 1975 prototype logo:

spacer.png

Up next are the uniforms.

ASTROS x SPACE COWBOYS HOME:

spacer.png

ASTROS x SPACE COWBOYS ROAD:
spacer.png

ASTROS x SPACE COWBOYS ALT 1:
spacer.png

ASTROS x SPACE COWBOYS ALT 2:

spacer.png

For the unis, I tried to adhere closely to Sugar Land's uniforms while adding an orange secondary alt. I used the 1970s-80s "Astros" wordmark and created a matching "Houston" one for the road jersey. I also applied the gradient design to the socks. 

C&C appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

You've got somethng here. But I wonder if you had the spectrum be the entirety of the sleeves... kinda like how you did the roads, but rainbow style. Right now it seems like every uniform has its own elements.

I also had to play Space Truckin' by Deep Purple as I typed this haha

Archived