2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Japan Women

colinturner95

Nothing like waiting till the last second right? Well, I was very much looking forward to seeing NHLers back at the Olympic Games again. And well that isn't gonna happen. Surprisingly enough, I wasn't super offended by the jerseys. Not all of them at least, and having sat on some international designs for too long, the forthcoming Olympiad gives me a good enough chance to get some of them out there. 

YkyzIwH.png

For the creators of the game, you don't need anything frivolous or outlandish. Just a simple and classic approach will work for the Canadians. A little bit of the previous sets of uniforms come into play here. Double stripes come from the 2010 Vancouver uniforms/100th anniversary uniforms. Chest stripes come from the 2014 Sochi uniforms, this time continuing the double stripe. 2018 gets skipped right over for good reasons. I brought pants stripe back to the uniforms and left the equipment black, just to separate things out from the other red wearing countries. The logo this go around combines the iconic Maple Leaf, with the rounded font from recent uniforms. 

R1jAyzk.png

I don't know if Matty B will be the captain for Team USA. I just haven't seen who the captain will be and wanted to represent the captains' C on there. Anyways. I wanted to combine the uniforms of the two Miracles as best as I could into a new uniform. From the Forgotten Miracle, we get the diagonal USA, as well as a redesigned shield logo up on the chest, which would move the captain's C up higher on the shoulder. From the Miracle on ice, we get the stars on the shoulders and now that I'm taking a second look at it, that's really about it in all honesty. I did import the NW stripe from this years uniforms (which I think are better than people give them credit for, but they needed to pick between navy or royal blue on those). 

BNwnfeq.png

I can't explain why, but Germany felt like sash team. Idk if it was soccer-inspired or what it was but I felt a sash would work well with the colors and the coat of arms. Went down the Sweden route here with two color jerseys. Both uniforms have the large stripes down the chest and on the upper sleeves and smaller stripes around the hem of the jersey and the sleeves. Also felt that a blocky and thick font would work well for the Germans, along with a serifed nameplate font. 

3VmUPJm.png

I know China's inclusion in the Olympics has been questioned due to their team's lack of international experience, but I have to say that they at least came ready to play dressed to the nines. I really didn't have any complaints with their uniforms. So I really just kept things the same for them. I wasn't huge on a Nike font for any team, but surprisingly, I think it works really well for team China. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Gonna split things up just for the pizzazz. 

3y1K4gX.png

Russian Olympic Committee - I don't know the full dimensions of the doping scandal and subsequent sanctions, but I felt the ROC could definitely do better on neutral uniforms. The general sense of the uniforms is very red heavy and minimal to no blue. I wanted to shake that up a little bit to just give as much space as I could between Canada and the ROC athletes. These are very simple uniforms, continuing the simple red and white theme, this time tho, adding in some blue in limited capacity, because lets be honest, we know it's Team Russia. 

UR6BOm2.png

Czech Republic - If it wasn't clear at the beginning, I'm a big fan of the Czech's 2014 uniforms, just not the one that is a recut version of their flag. For 2022, I thought the sleeve stripes could match the shoulder yoke stripes this go around. I toyed around with the idea of blue pants, but the historical precedent lies in red pants, which I think does look the best. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group B - ROC & Czech Republic

Nice stuff for both the Russians and the Czechs. The only thing that I would critique you on would be the white circle in the middle of the Red Russian uniform (with the ROC logo in it). I also don't like how the logo's are different sizes on both uniforms. Maybe if you could tweak the white circle to be a white bar, maybe it could work better on the uniform. 

rAUPGPZ.png

AYibyGd.png

Switzerland - I think the Swiss have a good uniform set up on the white jerseys. The red jerseys just fall flat. So why can't they match a little bit more? The white uniform stays largely the same, this time the SUISSE moves to the chest stripe as opposed to being on the sleeve stripes. Felt that a rounded font matched well for the Swiss brand. On the red uniforms, it looks like a double white stripe which it is, but this done to ensure the Cross is always on a red background, which carries throughout on all the red background elements. 

w1VJFmw.png

Denmark - Denmark might have the worst of the 2022 uniforms. The lion is a cool logo just not done how it is on the current digs. These take a less Nike-ified approach to a full sleeve stripe style with a NW stripe. The full country logo, lion and wordmark on the chest of both jerseys. Hem line has a half stripe on it. Socks match their jerseys. 

C&C welcome!

On 2/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, GrayJ12 said:

Nice stuff for both the Russians and the Czechs. The only thing that I would critique you on would be the white circle in the middle of the Red Russian uniform (with the ROC logo in it). I also don't like how the logo's are different sizes on both uniforms. Maybe if you could tweak the white circle to be a white bar, maybe it could work better on the uniform. 

Unfortunately there's not really a better way to address the ROC logo on the red jersey. I think that the circle logo, while a little unsightly, works the best for what it needs to. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group B - Switzerland & Denmark

The Men's tournament has begun and we've reached the last group of teams in the Men's game. 

bBvTUA5.png

Finland feels a lot like Sweden to me. They can and should have relatively simple uniforms and that works for them. Then again, most of the teams at the Olympics can and should have simpler uniforms but I digress. but to that point, dressing teams in their country flag feels like a no-go, but on the flip side I think it can work in some situations. The 2014 take for Finland didn't work for me, but I didn't think that it should be scrapped entirely. And while the Nordic Cross isn't unique to Finland by any means, I think that it works well on the uniform IN A SUBDUED MANNER. 

So that's what goes down here. The 2014 uniform comes back, but this time in a sublimated style on the chest of both the white and blue uniforms. The 2010 NW stripes return to the sleeves and just to the sleeves. On the bottom hem, just a contrasting block of color. I liked the Lion by itself from this year's uniforms so that's the country logo for these uniforms. Other than that, pretty basic stuff from there. Navy equipment, socks match their jerseys

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group C - Finland

LzrWW4t.png

A team that gets it right more often than gets it wrong. Sweden has been a model of consistency and simplicity at international hockey functions and the 2022 Olympics should be no different for them. The simple double stripe on the sleeves and hem stays the same. The Tre Kronor on the chest as it should be. I added the double stripe to the collar, A, to see how it would work and B, felt that it would work well for the Swedes. I did the same to the pants, with a single crown on the sides of the pants. Again, simple because it very much suits Sweden. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group C - Sweden
4 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

I think Canada's jersey numbers should have another color in between the existing setup. Which means:

For white: black/red -> black/white/red

For red: black/white -> black/red/white

That way, it matches the crest.

n5dcBlG.png

Not only does it match the crest, it helps give contrast on the numbers on the stripe. Thank you for the suggestion!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

sy6V4eG.png

Using a nation's anthem on a uniform was something I wouldn't have ever thought of. Nike certainly thought of it back in 2014 and now I view it as a staple for Slovak Hockey. I did space the lyrics out a little more than they were in the past. I also did add some stripes and a little bit more life into the uniform. The lyrics are a cool touch but not strong enough for it to stand by itself. An easy double stripe serves to add the aforementioned life. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group C - Slovakia

O8twdxx.png

Our last team in group C is here. I thought the chest stripe was a nice touch on the IRL uniforms for the Latvians, but I changed it up just a little bit for this concept. It doesn't quite have the same weight as the stripe or stripes on the Latvian flag, but I pulled from the color balance on the flag and incorporated that into the stripe. I kept the darker shade of maroon as an accent color, which is found on number outlines and the edges of the stripes. Other than that, its a pretty easy going hockey uniform set. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Group C - Latvia

My final entry in this series comes to us by way of the Women's tournament. Every competing team in the Women's bracket was represented through the uniforms previously posted, with one exception: 

Ws7iFn2.png

I saw the IRL Japanese uniforms and it was one of those moments in the cartoon where the lightbulb goes off above your head. Playing off the "Land of the Rising Sun" idea, the line gradient flips around from its current position to now start big at the bottom and work its way up to smaller stripes as we move up the body of the jersey and the sleeves. The stripes overlap the sun on the chest and appear in the color of the jersey its on. Outside of that wildness, black equipment for both uniforms. Went with single color numbers on the backs for the most contrast. 

Thank you for following along on this short little series! See y'all soon with some other series!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to 2022 Olympic Hockey Concepts - Japan Women

Archived