Washington Commanders : Giving Them A Respectable Look

Moseph

I've been a lifelong fan of Washington's NFL franchise, a just like almost everything they do, yesterday was a complete disappointment. Although I would've preferred they stuck with the name Football Team, Commanders isn't the worst thing in the world. They got a few things right with the rebrand, I think the 'W' is a pretty solid logo and I'm a fan of the Commanders wordmark. Other than that, pretty much everything looks like garbage that belongs in college so here is my attempt at showing that they are a 90 year franchise and not some expansion team.

First up, we have the logos and wordmarks. Like I said, I do like the 'W' as the primary so that stays unchanged. I like the Commanders part of the wordmark but not the font they used for Washington, so I decided to transfer over the version from the Washington Football Team as it has some style and fits in with the primary logo. I don't understand why they decided to make two different roundel logos as alternates, so I modified the one I like better for my alternate logo. The one they went with has too much white in it and its too busy with the addition of the championship years. How stupid of a design was that, are they gonna keep cramming more years on if they ever win more Superbowls? I also streamlined the inner part of this logo to get rid of some quirks. In the first quadrant, I put the DC flag to better represent the city instead of the 3 stars they went with that almost makes them look like they're from Tennessee. I left the primary mark in the top right quadrant but increased its size to fill up a bit more space. In the bottom half, I decided to put the '19' and '32' next to each other, that way its easier to read than the cross pattern they really went with. I also changed the numbers to a block font for a more traditional feel.

spacer.png

Up next we have the primary helmet. I like the addition of the primary logo on the sides better than the numbers from the previous brand, and brought back the iconic gold facemask which really helps tie the uniforms together. I also went with the same striping pattern from the jerseys for consistency, and although I do like the satin helmets, I'd go back to the metallic finish because it always looked great on field.

spacer.png

Up next are the uniforms. I can't believe they went with all modern garbage after talking about wanting to honor the past and traditions of the franchise. For the home uniforms, I did stick with a few things that they did right. I kept their new sleeve striping as it makes me think of the stripes in the DC flag. I also like the addition of the stars inside the collar and kept the Commanders wordmark on the front, although a shrunk it down to a normal size. I'm not a fan of eliminating TV numbers unless there is absolutley no room for them anywhere, so they get moved to the shoulders like a number of teams have done in the past. I also carried over the the traditional block font and color scheme for the number over from the previous set. I brought back the gold pants at home because its far super to the burgundy/white combo, and kept the striping consistent across all aspects of the uniform. For my aways uniforms, I went the classic route of them being an inverse of the home set instead of the recent trend of something that doesn't match at all. Another thing I carried over from the new set is the Washington wordmark on the away jerseys. I think thats a cool touch to represent the team name at home and the city on the road like a lot of MLB teams do and wouldn't mind if other NFL teams started doing this. White over burgundy will be the standard road look because its such a beautiful combo.

spacer.png

I also paired home both the home and away jerseys with monochromatic looks to be worn a couple of times each season. I have been a fan of the white on white, especially after the Gibbs 2.0 playoff runs, but it should be used maybe two or three times per season because white/burgundy is still superior. All burgundy is an ok look and I'd break it out maybe once per year.

spacer.png

Its obvious that Snyder has wanted to incorporate black into the team identity for some time, and there are some fans that really like it but what they went with is pretty bad. The camo patterns on the sleeves and collar will never be seen unless you're standing right next to the players, and that helmet is so bad. For my version, I wanted to make it look like it could still be from the same team so I went with a recolored set of the standard uniforms. I did like the addition of the DC flag on one sleeve and the alternate patch on the other, so I moved them up to the shoulders to make room for the traditonal sleeve stripes. I also like the wordmark on the left chest and stencil style numbers to tie into the military theme so I retained those.

spacer.png

I may try and come up with a throwback look for another alternate but I'm pretty happy with this look so far.

• Like 18
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 2
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

17 hours ago, Blindsay said:

WORK FOR NIKE MAN.

Haha, that would be cool, but I'm just a fan that likes to dabble with photoshop

3 hours ago, jbird669 said:

It amazes me how the ideas on here are light years ahead of what we get IRL. Well done. 

I know, I've seen a number of concepts for this brand and they are all better than what we ended up with. 

3 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Much better than what we got!  Great job!

Thanks!

• Like 2

Fantastic job! 

They already had a really nice uniform to work from, but for whatever reason, they decided to stray far from it.

This beautifully keeps the basic look with a little update.

Hopefully, someone over there with an eye for uniform aesthetics (if they have any) will see this and suggest it when the NFL allows them to make changes.

• Like 1

“I have an idea, lets make gradient numbers on our white jersey even though in our release video we literally said traditional, classic, legacy, etc.  an estimated 50 times”-Nike Idea Guy. Seriously though, nice job. You fixed the ugly alternate helmet and the gradient. Nice job man.

(No one say gradient numbers were a good idea, nobody)

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 9:10 AM, jbird669 said:

It amazes me how the ideas on here are light years ahead of what we get IRL. Well done. 

I hate to be critical, but what about this is "light years ahead" of anything?   It's fine, it's clean, but it's just a fairly generic uniform design.  Traditional block letters, traditional stripes, striped socks. This is safe as hell.  It's a recolored Cowboys uniform.  What about this is innovative at all?  

And again, it looks good. Not offense to Moseph, nice work.  But jeez, this is a like if a big yawn was a football uniform. 

On 2/5/2022 at 9:22 AM, ChiCity95 said:

Designers care about money over quality, which is sad.

You must not know too many designers...

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, Moseph said:

I've been a lifelong fan of Washington's NFL franchise, a just like almost everything they do, yesterday was a complete disappointment. Although I would've preferred they stuck with the name Football Team, Commanders isn't the worst thing in the world. They got a few things right with the rebrand, I think the 'W' is a pretty solid logo and I'm a fan of the Commanders wordmark. Other than that, pretty much everything looks like garbage that belongs in college so here is my attempt at showing that they are a 90 year franchise and not some expansion team.

First up, we have the logos and wordmarks. Like I said, I do like the 'W' as the primary so that stays unchanged. I like the Commanders part of the wordmark but not the font they used for Washington, so I decided to transfer over the version from the Washington Football Team as it has some style and fits in with the primary logo. I don't understand why they decided to make two different roundel logos as alternates, so I modified the one I like better for my alternate logo. The one they went with has too much white in it and its too busy with the addition of the championship years. How stupid of a design was that, are they gonna keep cramming more years on if they ever win more Superbowls? I also streamlined the inner part of this logo to get rid of some quirks. In the first quadrant, I put the DC flag to better represent the city instead of the 3 stars they went with that almost makes them look like they're from Tennessee. I left the primary mark in the top right quadrant but increased its size to fill up a bit more space. In the bottom half, I decided to put the '19' and '32' next to each other, that way its easier to read than the cross pattern they really went with. I also changed the numbers to a block font for a more traditional feel.

spacer.png

Up next we have the primary helmet. I like the addition of the primary logo on the sides better than the numbers from the previous brand, and brought back the iconic gold facemask which really helps tie the uniforms together. I also went with the same striping pattern from the jerseys for consistency, and although I do like the satin helmets, I'd go back to the metallic finish because it always looked great on field.

spacer.png

Up next are the uniforms. I can't believe they went with all modern garbage after talking about wanting to honor the past and traditions of the franchise. For the home uniforms, I did stick with a few things that they did right. I kept their new sleeve striping as it makes me think of the stripes in the DC flag. I also like the addition of the stars inside the collar and kept the Commanders wordmark on the front, although a shrunk it down to a normal size. I'm not a fan of eliminating TV numbers unless there is absolutley no room for them anywhere, so they get moved to the shoulders like a number of teams have done in the past. I also carried over the the traditional block font and color scheme for the number over from the previous set. I brought back the gold pants at home because its far super to the burgundy/white combo, and kept the striping consistent across all aspects of the uniform. For my aways uniforms, I went the classic route of them being an inverse of the home set instead of the recent trend of something that doesn't match at all. Another thing I carried over from the new set is the Washington wordmark on the away jerseys. I think thats a cool touch to represent the team name at home and the city on the road like a lot of MLB teams do and wouldn't mind if other NFL teams started doing this. White over burgundy will be the standard road look because its such a beautiful combo.

spacer.png

I also paired home both the home and away jerseys with monochromatic looks to be worn a couple of times each season. I have been a fan of the white on white, especially after the Gibbs 2.0 playoff runs, but it should be used maybe two or three times per season because white/burgundy is still superior. All burgundy is an ok look and I'd break it out maybe once per year.

spacer.png

Its obvious that Snyder has wanted to incorporate black into the team identity for some time, and there are some fans that really like it but what they went with is pretty bad. The camo patterns on the sleeves and collar will never be seen unless you're standing right next to the players, and that helmet is so bad. For my version, I wanted to make it look like it could still be from the same team so I went with a recolored set of the standard uniforms. I did like the addition of the DC flag on one sleeve and the alternate patch on the other, so I moved them up to the shoulders to make room for the traditonal sleeve stripes. I also like the wordmark on the left chest and stencil style numbers to tie into the military theme so I retained those.

spacer.png

I may try and come up with a throwback look for another alternate but I'm pretty happy with this look so far.

@Moseph To be honest, I wish your design for the Washington Commanders in this thread were the exact uniforms the Commanders unveiled on February 2. Your uniform design for the Commanders incorporates more of the team's history and tradition than what Washington unveiled on February 2. I mean, seriously? No gold on the white away uniforms? No pants striping on any set of pants? These concept uniforms look so much better than what they actually unveiled. I LOVE everything about these, from the restored gold facemask, the unified striping on the helmet, shoulder sleeves, pants and socks, to bringing back the font for "Washington" from the Washington Football Team days as part of the wordmark, and more. You really should work for Nike. You nailed these uniform concepts. I grade these uniform concepts a 10/10. Nice work!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

@Moseph To be honest, I wish your design for the Washington Commanders in this thread were the exact uniforms the Commanders unveiled on February 2. Your uniform design for the Commanders incorporates more of the team's history and tradition than what Washington unveiled on February 2. I mean, seriously? No gold on the white away uniforms? No pants striping on any set of pants? These concept uniforms look so much better than what they actually unveiled. I LOVE everything about these, from the restored gold facemask, the unified striping on the helmet, shoulder sleeves, pants and socks, to bringing back the font for "Washington" from the Washington Football Team days as part of the wordmark, and more. You really should work for Nike. You nailed these uniform concepts. I grade these uniform concepts a 10/10. Nice work!

Thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

I've seen so many great concepts on the boards for this team, it's really a shame that any one of them isn't what we actually got.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Moseph said:

Thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

I've seen so many great concepts on the boards for this team, it's really a shame that any one of them isn't what we actually got.

I do have one additional request regarding the uniform concepts in this thread: is there any way that the uniform concepts could be re-colored in red, white, and navy blue? Please? I hope that doesn't sound too heretical. I just feel like now that Washington, D.C.'s team name is the Commanders, that the NFL team should change its color scheme to red, white and blue to unify with Washington, D.C.'s other professional sports teams.

13 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

I do have one additional request regarding the uniform concepts in this thread: is there any way that the uniform concepts could be re-colored in red, white, and navy blue? Please? I hope that doesn't sound too heretical. I just feel like now that Washington, D.C.'s team name is the Commanders, that the NFL team should change its color scheme to red, white and blue to unify with Washington, D.C.'s other professional sports teams.

Yes, they should. They really should.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, Moseph said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

@Moseph Do you think there's any way you would be willing to recreate this uniform concept artwork, but with differences? Specifically, the only differences I'm asking for are these: the helmet shell color should be gold (as an homage to the 1970s Washington teams), with the "W" logo in burgundy, the stripes in a burgundy-white-burgundy pattern, and a burgundy facemask. The pants should be gold with a burgundy-white-burgundy striping pattern. Also, Terry McLaurin's last name is spelled "McLaurin". 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

@Moseph Do you think there's any way you would be willing to recreate this uniform concept artwork, but with differences? Specifically, the only differences I'm asking for are these: the helmet shell color should be gold (as an homage to the 1970s Washington teams), with the "W" logo in burgundy, the stripes in a burgundy-white-burgundy pattern, and a burgundy facemask. The pants should be gold with a burgundy-white-burgundy striping pattern. Also, Terry McLaurin's last name is spelled "McLaurin". 

Sure, when I get a chance I'll try to mock that up. Thanks for pointing out my typo on Terry's last name, I didn't notice that before.

The burgundy and white uniforms look really good. It shows how the helmet could be a starting point of a decent uniform...and how it could give the fans the visual feel of a continuation of the franchise as opposed to an expansion team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 12:14 AM, CATLogo1 said:

Here are both concepts you wanted to seespacer.png

spacer.png