Madison Hatters rough draft version 2

mcrosby

The Hatters were in Madison for a single year as an affiliate to the St. Louis Cardinals, before moving on to Michigan where a stadium had been built. It's a crying shame, because the brand was brilliant. 

I've tried a pretty standard update, but I'm not sure I love the pose so it's still in a rough sketch mode. You'll note the bat isn't finished, the tail is missing, and the cheese is...clip-arty. I'm pretty happy with the head and the concept behind the cheesy M. Let me know if this pose is something you all like, or if there's another classic mascot pose I should have a go at. 

T3vJYam.png

• Like 17

The original's pose wasn't all that good to begin with, IMO...then again, the original's entire execution screamed "afterthought."  With that said, the updated mouse is looking pretty good, taillessness and all, I can't wait to see you flesh this out.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Oh my god, this is freaking awesome! As someone with a list of 20+ defunct MiLB teams to do a concept for, I always love seeing these teams reimagined.

It's a bit of an awkward pose (like he's catching himself from falling backwards), but I like that you're keeping it in tune with the original. Maybe just change the left arm so it's not extended, so it looks more like a lean? Can't wait to see where this goes.

• Like 2

At least you went...during what was their last season, IIRC my grandma offered to take me to a Kenosha Twins game.  For some reason, I turned it down...next thing I know, they're in Fort Wayne.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I attended a K-Twins game that I have no recollection of apart from still having the program. In hindsight, it seems odd that Kenosha would be a Twins affiliate when they were less than 50 miles from three other teams. 

But yeah, I was lucky to have had family all over Wisconsin back when so many of the teams played there. I saw the Madison Muskies and Appleton Foxes the most, with a couple trips to Beloit to check out Brewers prospects. Wausau is the only one I never got out to.

I remember the Madison Muskies and I attended a few Black Wolf games, but I don’t remember this team.

I think the mouse could be bigger in relation to the M. If you shrunk the M just 25%, it wouldn’t compete with the mouse so much. The mouse is so well-rendered that I think it should take up more space, even if slightly more.

• Like 1

I haven't had much time to do any actual work on this in terms of vectorizing my sketch, but I did adjust some colors and sizes. I'm still not sold on the pose, especially after your comments, but I like it better with the smaller M.  Since I've made the cheese holey I think it's probably best that I make it Swiss cheese colored instead of cheddar. 

I'm considering a Babe Ruth calling his shot pose, which would mean flipping the head, uncrossing the legs, and changing the resting arm to a pointing arm. Y'all want to see that? 

qumMT1x.pngXVkmQPv.png

• Like 1

• mcrosby changed the title to Madison Hatters rough draft version 2

I am pretty sure I have two unused tickets to their final game sitting in a box at home.

I love what you've done. BUT --- I don't know if it is just me or not. I'm getting a serious Mickey vibe from the shape of the M. I say that fulling admitting that I am NOT looking online to see if I am in any way correct, so shoot me down if needed 😆

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I am pretty sure I have two unused tickets to their final game sitting in a box at home.

I love what you've done. BUT --- I don't know if it is just me or not. I'm getting a serious Mickey vibe from the shape of the M. I say that fulling admitting that I am NOT looking online to see if I am in any way correct, so shoot me down if needed 😆

You are not wrong in the slightest. I honestly hadn't looked it up before going for it, was just going off of the original M logo. I'll try some new fonts. 

Mickey-Mouse-logo.png

il_fullxfull.1767891585_r100.jpg

• Love 1
  • Applause 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2022 at 2:06 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

LOL - stumbled upon these tonight

gaDoO9q.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

It's where I sit.

I always enjoy projects like these! Some of the older defunct teams had really fun identities and can be made to look really good with modernizations. I really like the updated mouse and the new pose. I could've seen centering the mouse so that it was leaning against the middle of the M orignally, but I think the smaller M next to mouse works well too, and  also like the wordmarks you've done up. I do second the idea of trying to work the bow tie back in; I think a slightly oversized bowtie would help give the mouse the mad hatter vibe even more. 

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png