Washington Commanders from a universe that doesn't suck

burgundy

Washington completely botched their rebranding, which really shouldn't surprise anyone. So like many others, I decided I'd make my own concept to distract from the absolute horror that is reality. I kept the name Commanders, because another name change just isn't happening, so this is what we have to work with. I liked the idea of incorporating the DC flag into the identity, but I thought it could be better blended with team history. For the logo, I stuck with a stenciled W, but I used the DC striping pattern to create a more abstract W that is also an homage to the helmet striping the team wore from 1972-2019. For the wordmark, I kept the general idea of what they went with, but I used a block font, and extended the C and S to align with the bottom stripe to give it some interaction, instead of feeling tacked on. The alternate logo is a stylization of the DC Flag, and will be used on the front helmet bumper.

spacer.png

For the uniforms I kept the DC flag striping on the sleeves, but incorporated the coloring of the asymmetrical double striping. The colors are flipped top/bottom from the original jerseys as I feel it balances better on these uniforms. I also put the striping on the pants and socks. I went with a slightly custom variation of block numbers, and made them single color in reference to the classic uniforms of the 60s and 70s. For the helmet I put the striped W on the sides and went with a gold facemask. I left the helmet without a center stripe as an homage to the spear helmets, plus the logo itself is already made of stripes so it felt like overkill. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

The W is lost in the lines here. I get what you were going for but it's too far abstract and ends up look like three uneven lines. The uniform striping is good, but the helmet needs some work. 

How's this look?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is good work.  On the helmets, the original W works better than your revamped one IMO.  Also the revamped one doesn't work well when on a non-burgundy background because the thick outer stroke makes it abnormally tall and disproportioned when shrunk due to having to extend past the sharp angles on the bottom.

On the yellow pants, I'm not sure how the white stripe would look in real life if it's bordered on both sides by yellow, so it might be better to touch it against the burgundy and have a "phantom" yellow stripe next to it.  Or it might work just fine as-is - would have to see it.

I think there's some more opportunities to work in your recolored flag without going full Nike on the uniforms.  For example, maybe ditch the TV numbers and put the stars there?  Or on on the pants, truncate the stripes and have them start mid hip, and have the stars from the waist to the top of the stripes?  Might be a little tacky, but just a thought.

I really like the "70s" block-ish style of logos like many of the NHL teams used to have and kinda like what the Elks did with their rebrand, so I'm a fan of this look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

This is good work.  On the helmets, the original W works better than your revamped one IMO.  Also the revamped one doesn't work well when on a non-burgundy background because the thick outer stroke makes it abnormally tall and disproportioned when shrunk due to having to extend past the sharp angles on the bottom.

On the yellow pants, I'm not sure how the white stripe would look in real life if it's bordered on both sides by yellow, so it might be better to touch it against the burgundy and have a "phantom" yellow stripe next to it.  Or it might work just fine as-is - would have to see it.

I think there's some more opportunities to work in your recolored flag without going full Nike on the uniforms.  For example, maybe ditch the TV numbers and put the stars there?  Or on on the pants, truncate the stripes and have them start mid hip, and have the stars from the waist to the top of the stripes?  Might be a little tacky, but just a thought.

I really like the "70s" block-ish style of logos like many of the NHL teams used to have and kinda like what the Elks did with their rebrand, so I'm a fan of this look.

The second W is a bit too vertical, but the notch on the bottom does help define it as a W.  So I tried to find a middle ground and chopped it a bit. The white stripe is a bit hard to see on the gold pants, so I tried 2 options. One is what you suggested, but I think the striping pattern gets lost with the gold blending into gold, so it looks out of place. For the other one I went with the style they used on the real home jerseys. It loses the dual-colored stripe effect, but the flag pattern is kept. This might be a case of needing to break a strict consistency for the sake of better visual clarity. For the stars, I put them on the back of the collar. Putting them on the shoulders feels too "military dress-up" for me, plus I like shoulder numbers. For the pants, I put them at the top of the stripe on the belt line. This probably wouldn't be visible on many players with their untucked jerseys and undershirts, but while I'm living in this fantasy universe, I'll actually enforce the uniform rules.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Nice update. Top yellow pants looks like it would  work fine, but as you said,  inconsistency isn’t always bad or indicative of oversight.  New W is nice. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Very nice set, the Burgundy is a very purplish shade, more purple than other WFT/Commanders concepts I've seen, but it looks good.

It's actually the same Pantone color they've used since 2016, but the uniforms and merchandise rarely match it. A lot of stuff even looks like the brighter shade they used prior to 2002, when they first went darker and slightly purpler.

The gold however, is a different shade from whate they use. It's slightly darker and more amber.

spacer.png

On 2/5/2022 at 8:07 PM, burgundy said:

Washington completely botched their rebranding, which really shouldn't surprise anyone. So like many others, I decided I'd make my own concept to distract from the absolute horror that is reality. I kept the name Commanders, because another name change just isn't happening, so this is what we have to work with. I liked the idea of incorporating the DC flag into the identity, but I thought it could be better blended with team history. For the logo, I stuck with a stenciled W, but I used the DC striping pattern to create a more abstract W that is also an homage to the helmet striping the team wore from 1972-2019. For the wordmark, I kept the general idea of what they went with, but I used a block font, and extended the C and S to align with the bottom stripe to give it some interaction, instead of feeling tacked on. The alternate logo is a stylization of the DC Flag, and will be used on the front helmet bumper.

spacer.png

For the uniforms I kept the DC flag striping on the sleeves, but incorporated the coloring of the asymmetrical double striping. The colors are flipped top/bottom from the original jerseys as I feel it balances better on these uniforms. I also put the striping on the pants and socks. I went with a slightly custom variation of block numbers, and made them single color in reference to the classic uniforms of the 60s and 70s. For the helmet I put the striped W on the sides and went with a gold facemask. I left the helmet without a center stripe as an homage to the spear helmets, plus the logo itself is already made of stripes so it felt like overkill. 

spacer.png

I hate to say this, but the W looks like Embassy Pictures logo.

I like the second update of the W the only change I would make on that would be to push the white sections of the W higher as well so the yellow sits lower in the middle like some Ws. Similar to the Caps Weagle logo. 

Otherwise those uniforms are simply fantastic!!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

This is a great concept. The stencil W is simple yet effective touch. Some suggestions though:

1. The stars need to be more prominent. I'd add some visually on the uniform. Maybe on the pants stripe. And/or in the middle stripe of logo.
  2. The logo needs another outer line. Current the logo gets lost. A solid white line may help give a solid image of the logo. 

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived