2022 Lacrosse

MJWalker45

Random thought came into my mind watching Maryland vs Cornell.

Would the NCAA men's lacrosse finals draw well if it were held in Denver? I know LAX is big in the Denver area, but would people from the northeast be likely to make the trip (excluding students/family/fans of the participating teams)?

I know a guy here in the DC area that pretty much goes to the finals every year. Those have been trips to Baltimore, Philly, Boston and Hartford though. Two locations of which are easy car trips from the DC area. Not so sure he'd make the cross country flight to Denver though.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Speaking of LAX and Colorado:

https://www.nll.com/news/the-mammoth-return-to-the-nll-finals-after-16-years/ 

We have our NLL Cup final. Colorado v Buffalo. 

I'm not a fan of the 3 game series....1 game per week format. It's taking forever to complete series and I'm honestly loosing interest because of it. I realize the NLL doesn't have top billing in most of it's arenas so that plays a factor but they've got to do something. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Random thought came into my mind watching Maryland vs Cornell.

Would the NCAA men's lacrosse finals draw well if it were held in Denver? I know LAX is big in the Denver area, but would people from the northeast be likely to make the trip (excluding students/family/fans of the participating teams)?

I know a guy here in the DC area that pretty much goes to the finals every year. Those have been trips to Baltimore, Philly, Boston and Hartford though. Two locations of which are easy car trips from the DC area. Not so sure he'd make the cross country flight to Denver though.

I think you would get a few of the hard core fans who make Championship Weekend part of their annual Memorial Day ritual, but I don't think that would be a large number.  Having to get a plane for a 3-4 hour flight some time around/after 5:00 EDT on Memorial Day when you have to work the next day makes for a tough slog.

Oh, yeah . . . Fear The Turtle!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

No major uniform changes for PLL teams. Champion logo replaced Adidas and three stripes removed from the shoulder. 

The facemasks on the Whipsnakes teal helmets are white now. The Cannons were wearing white helmets in camp. That's about it.

SN: IMO the Whipsnakes do not need to any decals on their teal helmets (they've been using a "Whips" word mark). The snakeskin pattern does more than enough to identify this team. Just imagine if the Cincinatti Bengals had a word mark decal on their helmets in addition to the tiger stripes.

On 2022-05-31 at 8:47 AM, Jer15 said:

Speaking of LAX and Colorado:

https://www.nll.com/news/the-mammoth-return-to-the-nll-finals-after-16-years/ 

We have our NLL Cup final. Colorado v Buffalo. 

I'm not a fan of the 3 game series....1 game per week format. It's taking forever to complete series and I'm honestly loosing interest because of it. I realize the NLL doesn't have top billing in most of it's arenas so that plays a factor but they've got to do something. 

See, that would make it worse IMO. need to plan for 2 days (for the home team), rather than just 1. 

aka fully agree, ditch it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Absolutely thriving seeing the Whipsnakes continuing being the benchmark for PLL teams. Pretty crazy how the #1 picks in the college draft dragged their teams from last to a very good year. Logan Wisnauskas seems to be the real deal.

If you're familiar with the videos of Jon Bois, there's a series being made on the history of Syracuse Lacrosse and it's absolutely phenomenal. It's truly one of the best series I've ever seen. I couldn't recommend it more. There's a single part left that should come out this week, but here's the first 5.

• Like 1

I don't know how much of an appetite there is for Canadian box summer league on these forums but holy :censored:, there's some serious drama going down in Major Series Lacrosse. 

The Brampton Excelsiors, a team that been around since 1913 (the club says 1883 but that's not quiet the truth...anyway not he point), were bought in 2018. Joe Norton, who owns a company called "Bug Juice" has become a thorn in the side to the OLA (ontario Lacrosse Association)  and MSL. 

From an Excelsior fan's point of view, he had the team wearing jerseys that barely mentioned the team name or logo. I hated it and I know I wasn't alone on that. Just "Bug Juice" written on the uniform and added . Apparently the players hated it too.

But, that's not uncommon (Peterborough wears uniforms that make them look like they are Century 21's office team).

The guy then decided he wants to move the team to Owen Sound.  He did this because he took over the junior B Owen Sound team as well. He just kept moving forward with that plan but the OLA had not approved it.

It's not a typical purchase either. The Excelsiors are a not-for-profit team so basically this Joe Norton just paid their debts. I find the whole thing very confusing but the short of it is; The OLA (the governing body that MSL plays under) is blocking the move and the Excelsiors (BECL) are fighting it too.

There's also a debate on the authority that BELC President, Ziggy Musial, had when he signed off on the "sale" of the club.  A number of people on the BELC board have said they didn't see the agreement until after it was completed, let alone had a change to vote on it happening.  Anyway, this is all happening and then Covid happens and MSL shuts down for a couple years.

In the meanwhile MSL has basically offered a free expansion team in Owen Sound to Joe Norton and wants Brampton to stay put. Joe Norton has said if there is any team taking the floor wearing Excelsiors uniforms/colours he's going to sue because he believes he owns the rights. So MSL delays the start of this season.

Last week MSL announced they were going to go ahead with a season with the 5 other clubs and leave Brampton and Owen Sound out to sort out their issues.
What happens? Jamie Dawick, owner of the Oakville Rock in MSL and Toronto Rock in the NLL, says "nope, Oakville is not playing this year unless we have at least 6 team".  Now Oakville is out for a year.

That leaves MSL with 4 teams. There is a rule by the OLA that if there are 4 or less teams in MSL, junior B teams are supposed to be promoted. MSL's commissioner stepped down in the wake of all this. 

On Friday, an interim commissioner was appointed and it sounds like the OLA has allowed MSL to move forward as a 4 team league for 2022.

In all of this mess, there's 2 roster's worth of players who aren't sure if they are playing or not this season. 

Meanwhile MSL got going with 1 game on Sunday. 

By the way, Owen Sound still hasn't agreed to let MSL play while the BELC board did sign an agreement to sit out this season. 

It's a very crazy story that will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

6 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I don't know how much of an appetite there is for Canadian box summer league on these forums but holy :censored:, there's some serious drama going down in Major Series Lacrosse. 

The Brampton Excelsiors, a team that been around since 1913 (the club says 1883 but that's not quiet the truth...anyway not he point), were bought in 2018. Joe Norton, who owns a company called "Bug Juice" has become a thorn in the side to the OLA (ontario Lacrosse Association)  and MSL. 

From an Excelsior fan's point of view, he had the team wearing jerseys that barely mentioned the team name or logo. I hated it and I know I wasn't alone on that. Just "Bug Juice" written on the uniform and added . Apparently the players hated it too.

But, that's not uncommon (Peterborough wears uniforms that make them look like they are Century 21's office team).

The guy then decided he wants to move the team to Owen Sound.  He did this because he took over the junior B Owen Sound team as well. He just kept moving forward with that plan but the OLA had not approved it.

It's not a typical purchase either. The Excelsiors are a not-for-profit team so basically this Joe Norton just paid their debts. I find the whole thing very confusing but the short of it is; The OLA (the governing body that MSL plays under) is blocking the move and the Excelsiors (BECL) are fighting it too.

There's also a debate on the authority that BELC President, Ziggy Musial, had when he signed off on the "sale" of the club.  A number of people on the BELC board have said they didn't see the agreement until after it was completed, let alone had a change to vote on it happening.  Anyway, this is all happening and then Covid happens and MSL shuts down for a couple years.

In the meanwhile MSL has basically offered a free expansion team in Owen Sound to Joe Norton and wants Brampton to stay put. Joe Norton has said if there is any team taking the floor wearing Excelsiors uniforms/colours he's going to sue because he believes he owns the rights. So MSL delays the start of this season.

Last week MSL announced they were going to go ahead with a season with the 5 other clubs and leave Brampton and Owen Sound out to sort out their issues.
What happens? Jamie Dawick, owner of the Oakville Rock in MSL and Toronto Rock in the NLL, says "nope, Oakville is not playing this year unless we have at least 6 team".  Now Oakville is out for a year.

That leaves MSL with 4 teams. There is a rule by the OLA that if there are 4 or less teams in MSL, junior B teams are supposed to be promoted. MSL's commissioner stepped down in the wake of all this. 

On Friday, an interim commissioner was appointed and it sounds like the OLA has allowed MSL to move forward as a 4 team league for 2022.

In all of this mess, there's 2 roster's worth of players who aren't sure if they are playing or not this season. 

Meanwhile MSL got going with 1 game on Sunday. 

By the way, Owen Sound still hasn't agreed to let MSL play while the BELC board did sign an agreement to sit out this season. 

It's a very crazy story that will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

What a mess.

Surely that Norton guy could at least allow Brampton to play on in altered colours?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

1 hour ago, tigers said:

What a mess.

Surely that Norton guy could at least allow Brampton to play on in altered colours?

They believe they own the rights to the name that's been (debatably) around since 1883. They don't want to do that. 

There's also the issue of who owns the player contracts. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

They believe they own the rights to the name that's been (debatably) around since 1883. They don't want to do that. 

There's also the issue of who owns the player contracts. 

I see.

It is a kerfuffle then.

Looks bad for the sport with the mess.

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Well, the OLA officially approved the 4 team MSL lacrosse and the former Brampton players can sign elsewhere for the season. 

As for next season....we'll see. Jamie Dawick has announced he'll allow the Oakville players to be released for the season should they wish but they will be Oakville property again next season.  In fact Ryan Lanchbury & Jay Thorimbert have played for Brooklin & Peterborough respectively.  

Oakville is expected to return. Will we see Owen Sound and Brampton? Will the players return to Brampton? Will they go to Owen Sound? Will Brampton be the Excelsiors? 

One more interesting note on this weird saga for MSL. Brooklin and 6 Nations played a game on May 23rd before Joe Norton threatened to sue. It was supposed to be an "unsanctioned game" but now, after playing 1 game, these teams have a 2 game record on the MSL website. So I guess it did count. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Chrome loss last night, the Whipsnakes become the last undefeated PLL team for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. The outlier they were second to last team. They play the Waterdogs tonight. One thing the PLL is great at is parody, but it's really fun that there's a Golden State Warriors-esque team right out of the gate.

Maybe the Chrome shouldn't have worn matte lids

• Like 1

7 hours ago, raysox said:

With the Chrome loss last night, the Whipsnakes become the last undefeated PLL team for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. The outlier they were second to last team. They play the Waterdogs tonight. One thing the PLL is great at is parody, but it's really fun that there's a Golden State Warriors-esque team right out of the gate

And down go the Whipsnakes!

Second year in a row I've been pleasantly surprised by the turn out for the PLL in Minnesota. And that little stadium at the Vikings HQ is impressive watching on TV. Only downside obviously is the football/Vikings marks sewn into the turf. If the PLL decides to put a team in MN whenever they switch the league model, I'd hope this stadium would be their home field (if possible once the Vikings start training camp).