2022 Lacrosse

MJWalker45

That’s a great point about training camp. I guess they could hypothetically play at the old Minnesota United stadium north of town, but thinking about how the Star in Frisco wouldn’t be able to be used.

I’m still of the opinion that they shouldn’t go to a city model, but that’s a long post for another day and I still need to organize my argument lmao.

One thing about the PLL this year is that there might not be any bad teams. In the last couple years there’s been a team that’s clearly worse than the rest. Atlas a few times and Chrome last year come to mind. There’s three 1-4 teams right now. I think Redwoods need some help offensively but overall they’re pretty loaded. Chaos relies on box players, and they had some players missing training camp and three game weeks.

The Cannons are probably fit the mold the best but they have the consensus best player on earth in Lyle Thompson. I could see them getting help next year from the draft and rocketing up the standings.

13 hours ago, raysox said:

I’m still of the opinion that they shouldn’t go to a city model, but that’s a long post for another day and I still need to organize my argument lmao.

I think they ultimately will (and should) but shouldn't rush it given what the PLL is trying to achieve for the sport as a whole.  The PLL needs to do several more rounds of touring outside the traditional lacrosse hotspots before starting to anchor it's teams to specific cities. Don't want to end up with another northeast heavy league like MLL was.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I'll preface this essay by saying that I live in the Tampa Bay area, a region not exactly blessed by pro lacrosse and that I have a little bias. I am a sport management major so I guess that kind of negates it out.

Paul Rabil is a smart business man, and has a lot more data than I could imagine ever having. He's said that the goal is to do a city based model and I get it. It's so enticing to play what if and hand pick cities to place teams down in. But like... why do we need to?

Lacrosse is regional and not a major sport, that's just a fact. The current touring model ensures that you can tease different markets, but also your footprint is just a little bit larger than having 8 teams with a home town. Including the plans for 2020 that never got realized, I have 21 markets that the PLL have/will have played in. Not saying that every city deserves a team, but you're kind of limiting yourself. Hell there's cities that aren't included in that 21 markets that could reasonably host games too.  The MLL attendance in 2018 was pretty dog :censored: outside of Denver. The MLL wasn't the best run league in it's later life, but to me on the surface it seems like 7 games were too much to market for - especially in non traditional areas for the sport. The crowd in Charlotte a few weeks ago was much bigger than the 1,364 average the Hounds had in their last season. 

The PLL has been one of the most refreshing social presence i've ever seen. They have well exceeded the max for MLL in terms of follower count. They are doing some great stuff across all channels. Splitting the league into 8 different cities will just make creating content that much harder because there's so much to focus on. One vlog with one personality filming over 4 games is a lot more easier to pull off than having 4 on air talents. The league feels SO accessible because they're filming and shooting everything that happens over the weekend. 

I really want to see this league succeed because I think the touring model should be used for fringe sports. I think a sport like softball could pull this off - something way better than the Athletes Unlimited thing that's mostly player forward. There's a lot of thoughts I have about this (obviously) and not everything is laid out in this argument. I don't know if there has ever been a time other than now that this could have worked. There's streaming services, and a craving for something different if you haven't noticed all the new leagues starting. The PLL will definitely continue to exist past when they decide to plop teams down. The salaries will begin to justify the means and become the sole income for players. That's the goal in the end

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A new indoor box lacrosse league has formed and will begin play for a 2022-23 winter season. They expect play to be on par with what would be the equivilant of AAA level, behind the NLL.  7 cities have been announced so far, with an 8th city to be announced once arena is secured. Binghamton, Elmira, and Syracuse NY, Trenton NJ, Charlotte NC, Hampton Roads VA, and Manchester NH/Springfield MA have all been announced so far.  The Professional Box Lacrosse Association is having name the team contest on their website for the teams

Signature intentionally left blank

Joe Tsai's really throwing at lot of money at lacrosse. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm sure the PLL players must love playing indoors this week. Can only imagine how hot it would be had the league chosen an open air stadium in the DFW area over the Cowboys mini dome.

The Archers some how bottling this while having the best offense in the league is quite something. The Cannons defense absolutely sucks and leaves their goalie to save so many open shots. I hope Lyle can get some stability there because it's a one man show.

Oh, and to avoid going 9 straight loses they play the number 1 team Whipsnakes, the team that just lead the Atlas 12-1 at half.

• The Tacoma Dome has a weird configuration. The closest available seats to the field were in what would be the second level of any other stadium.  
  • The Cannons were eliminated from the playoffs.
  • Whipsnakes, Chrome, Archers and Atlas will be the participants in the Championship Series in winter of 2023.
  • Final regular season standings Standings - Premier Lacrosse League
  • Playoff games begin on September 3rd.

2 hours ago, raysox said:

Firmly in the 6 teams should make the playoffs camp

Same, but I think Rabil wants as many players to get paid as long as possible during the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fate of a Sport aired on ESPN earlier tonight. Was a good watch. The former owner of the Chesapeake Bayhawks came off like a massive d-bag.

I still want to know what the Rabils would have done if they were able to purchase MLL years ago.