Seattle Sounders FC announce plan to "explore the club's identity"

Brian in Boston

On 2022-02-19 at 6:54 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I thought about this too, but the Canucks are so close. I don't think that needs to be a limiting factor per se, but would understand if it were.

IIRC, The Sounders were the first to use the Orca when the name was revived in 1994, the Canucks introduced their Orca in 1997. As long as the Orca is distinct, then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 3

On 2/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, _RH_ said:

Is it a Seattle tradition that you have to change your color scheme every now and again?  Mariners, Seahawks, SuperSonics all did it.

That and the subsequent tradition of changing it back when you realize you’ve messed up a bit (see the Sonics 90s scheme, and the Seahawks probably soon)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• 1 year later...

A 50th anniversary logo has been released, as have some pretty scarves that *might* hint at the color tweaks and name ("Sounders" instead of "Sounders FC," perhaps) for next season's rebranding:

The anniversary logo is a bit simple, but it gets the job done.

I am really excited by that darker shade of emerald green! I really hope that'll be our new jersey base color; alongside royal blue shorts and an away jersey in that light tealish-blue, it'd be wonderful 💚

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 2/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, Mingjai said:

I wonder if you use the trademarked building as a part of a whole skyline--e.g., the Mets or the 80s Supersonics--could you get away with claiming fair use? I can see arguments both ways, but as a matter of public policy I would fall on the side of the combination of unique buildings is what creates a certain city's skyline, and images or renditions of that skyline should not be protected. An owner of the rights for an individual building should fail to show a likelihood of confusion or that their brand was somehow diluted by the use in a skyline.

From my understanding of it, no. Not at all. They don't own the skyline. Even if they're part of that skyline, their building isn't the point of the skyline usage (it could be, but that'd be incredibly hard to prove).

Sort of that whole 'if you're in public, you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy' from photographers/paparazzi, etc. Someone taking a crowd shot doesn't need consent waivers. Someone zooming in just to take a photo of you, too, doesn't need your consent if it's an view of you that doesn't require any sort of 'improper' means to get (ladder, hidden camera, drone over private property, etc). Basically, if you can see it with the human eye, you can photograph it and it's legal in a public setting.

What the Space Needle is arguing would be similar to if the photographer was not just selling images of a celebrity but pretending to be affiliated WITH the celebrity. Imagine if "Scarlett Johansson Photography Studio" was selling photos of her. There'd be the impression they're related or endorsed. Even if their primary business were being paparazzi taking and selling nothing but photos of Scarlett Johannson in public for tabloids. Using her name/image/likeness to promote their identity would be crossing the line.

Same as a team using a famous building that's trademarked would be crossing the line. Part of the whole? Sure. Just that part? No.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023-09-19 at 4:36 PM, Digby said:

I'm sure the real thing will be a roundel. But hopefully they at least fix the pea-soup green.

The Sounders never won the Concacaf Champions League while wearing a roundel, and don't have a history with roundel logos for their main, so a generic City Group roundel would be a massive, loaded with low end and with plenty of reverb, Wet Fart. I'm not opposed to roundels if they have some originality and are done well, but if they swap the current one for a boring roundel, then I would prefer they kept the old crest (and fixed the green), which at least had some creativity with the two shields.

• Like 4

I was about to say "what's with the waves," but duh. Sounders. I'm an idiot.

My mind was going to another Kraken kind of thing, but that's definitely not it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Hope the fanbase likes it once it's revealed.

We've seen to many refreshs/rebrand go bad in recent MLS times (Crew, Chicago, Montreal 2x)

As an outsider, if they alter the blue/rave green and go with other blue/green colors that's an upgrade.

If they declutter the shield within the shield and the wordmark bridge logo, that's an upgrade.

dropping the FC/SC and just going with Seattle Sounders would be a nice change too.

• Like 1

As a fan, I'm hoping they keep the colors, drop the "FC" and anything beyond that is great. The logo is a joke and a redesign has been on hold for way too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags