A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2

colinturner95

The first of this 3 act play comes to us from the league that just ended their season a week ago. I'd been trying to figure out my next few series to keep me busy. Finally it hit me to just take things simpler in some ways, and to do that, take the NHL's Reverse Retro program and give it to the other 3 members of the Big 4 leagues. And so we begin with the NFL, starting in the NFC and the East. 

iEy4wdF.png F9Bj3uc.png

Dallas Cowboys - 1971 - The Cowboys have worn a variation of 3 or 4 uniform styles over the course of their history and presented a challenge at first to find a uniform to color swap. I landed on the 1971 season, for starters because it ended in a Super Bowl win, but also because it was a solid uniform set and wasn't muddled by the various shades of grey and blue that the Cowboys suffer from today. 

• Helmet - no change. A navy helmet didn't work out and a white helmet didn't work out from a color balance standpoint in my opinion 
  • Jersey - Grey/silver jersey with blue and white stripes. Solid blue numbers. Wanted to stick with historical accuracy so no outlines on the numbers. 
  • Pants - Another first for the Cowboys, navy blue pants with a color-swapped stripe. Socks match the jerseys. 

AbOh3Yw.png I5GAni0.png

New York Giants - 1986 - There wasn't of an issue for the Giants and what uniform to pick. The Color Rush uniform was successful, so lets run it back for the Reverse Retro. 

• Helmet - no change from 1986. Tried out a white helmet, but the color balance made it look too Bills for my liking, so there's no change. 
  • Jersey - a red jersey returns to Metlife/The Meadowlands for the first time since 2007, which is too damn long. Red is a good change of pace for the Giants. 
  • Pants - no change. All red would definitely be too Bills and blue just looked wrong. 

IgqD6Cr.png evI0rOF.png

Philadelphia Eagles - 1960 - The Birds last championship before the 2017 Super Bowl win is the focus for our efforts here. It's not the most glamourous jersey to flip but I'm pleased with the outcome.

• Helmet - while it's not a new creation, the white helmet that was worn from 1969-1973 returns for use here. 
  • Jersey - the green jerseys the Eagles wore in those days did not have stripes on the sleeves until 1964. 
  • Pants - likewise, the Eagles didn't wear green pants from 1950 to 1994, and routinely from 1996 to now. 

TQjX2CP.png WgXrot7.png

Washington Football Team - 1976 - 1976 wasn't a championship team for WFT, but the uniforms were different enough from the more iconic uniforms to make for a good swap 

• Helmet - different, but not really. It's what I'd argue are the most iconic (staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, or possibly cheerleader of the Washington Commanders that play in Maryland and are headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia but really should be branded as the 32s) helmets, just missing the (Commanders) logo on the sides for fairly obvious reasons. 
  • Jersey - a gold uniform for the Football Team, stop me if you've heard this one before, with gold and white swapping places. 
  • Pants - Burgundy pants aren't anything new for Washington, but burgundy pants with the full triple stripe would be. 

C&C welcome! Let's have some fun with this series. I'm open to some suggestions if you guys want to see some other uniforms Reverse Retro'd. 

Edit: I don't know how many of you have tried typing out the former name of the Washington Football Team, but it leads to some fun mod edits 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

pxO3u1x.pngm9o60gq.png

Buffalo Bulls - 1964-1965 - Red isn't an uncommon sight in Buffalo these days, but in this style, it's an uncommon sight in the style of the AFL champion teams of the mid 60's. 

• Helmet - kept the white bucket, but a red one was on the table for a short time, but I didn't like the end result. But things do shake up with a blue standing bison and blue stripe. 
  • Jersey  - like I said, a red jersey, but with the throwback stripe style, and with red and blue trading places. 
  • Pants - no real changes. color swapping things here didn't produce anything I loved. Red socks with the same stripes and style as the jersey. 

8XQUgJM.pngVvtvluQ.png

Miami Dolphins - 1972 - I'd like to call this a much more refined version of their Color Rush uniform. Also could call it a good basis for a hypothetical alternate jersey one day

• Helmet - no changes, orange and teal looked very very wrong, so same 1972 style it is. 
  • Jersey - went orange with it, and gave teal a lot more prominence on the stripes. 
  • Pants - While I am trying to avoid a lot of Color Rushes and things like that, orange pants felt like a good way to go for this uniform 

A7oWEyQ.pngjzVmwn4.png

New England Patriots - 1985+1993 - I couldn't just throw the current colors onto the 85 uniforms, but I could bring in some early 90's influences and make for a more fun Reverse Retro. 

• Helmet - silver 1985 style helmet, complete with Patriot Pat, this time in the 90's rebrand colors.
  • Jersey - 1985 style jersey, with silver + red stripes, red chest numbers based on the 1993 jerseys. 
  • Pants - you get where I'm going with this.    

BTykNeg.png eYV8vJK.pngR5nhYPW.png

New York Jets - 1962 - The question of which uniform to use was never really in doubt for me, but a question of the color balance came into play, so the Jets give us a two-fer.

• Helmets - my first idea gave us a green helmet with a white stripe and also a black helmet with a green stripe 
  • Jerseys - following the Titans jerseys, with shoulder and sleeves stripes. Either a green base or black base jerseys with stripes that reflect that. 
  • Pants - White or green, small 3 stripes on the sides. Socks match their jerseys. 
On 2/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, ralphz said:

Go ahead and use the Comm-W. It would look good in this usage. 

The rest are pretty sweet. 

Doesn't make sense to use a modern logo on a throwback-inspired jersey, hence the 70's style W. 

• Like 6
  • Love 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL -AFC East
4 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

A7oWEyQ.pngjzVmwn4.png

New England Patriots - 1985+1993 - I couldn't just throw the current colors onto the 85 uniforms, but I could bring in some early 90's influences and make for a more fun Reverse Retro. 

• Helmet - silver 1985 style helmet, complete with Patriot Pat, this time in the 90's rebrand colors.
  • Jersey - 1985 style jersey, with silver + red stripes, red chest numbers based on the 1993 jerseys. 
  • Pants - you get where I'm going with this.    

I don't personally like the silver (I personally think it needs to lave the Pats rotation), but I get why it's here. The 90' rebrand initially introduced the silver. I think the jersey should still use white though. The 90's jerseys still used white on them. A great look though. I would instantly buy this jersey

ZUH86xc.png

16 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I don't personally like the silver (I personally think it needs to lave the Pats rotation), but I get why it's here. The 90' rebrand initially introduced the silver. I think the jersey should still use white though. The 90's jerseys still used white on them. A great look though. I would instantly buy this jersey

JYP2Pu0.png

Went back to white on the jersey stripes. It was something I tried, given how light the silver and white are next to each other, but white on the jersey makes more sense. 

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

ieHfXNb.png4wcGFjM.png

Chicago Bears - 1936 - Outside of what inspired the 75th anniversary uniforms, the Bears have worn a variation of the same uniforms for the majority of their time in the NFL. Except for one uniform set, and you just got treated to them as throwbacks. 

• Helmet - didn't change anything from the throwbacks
  • Jersey - 1936 throwback in navy, and why navy? The Bears have thrown back to navy before. It's not so much about the jersey in this case...
  • Pants - ... because the mythical orange pants are back! After years of debating their actual existence, the navy pants of 1936 become orange

qA8iC3K.pngIFOF5X3.png

Detroit Lions - New York Bulldogs - So the Lions present the first major dilemma of this series comes to us from Detroit. I couldn't just go grey with the Barry Sanders era uniforms, because IMO it looked too similar to the current uniforms. but thanks to some internet wormholes and some further research, I came up with something I thought worked. The New York Bulldogs existed as a franchise for only 8 seasons and had various names and locations, but for two seasons, they had some similar colors to a football team in Detroit, and as it turned out after that 1949 season, Lions and NFL HOFers Bobby Layne and Doak Walker would reunite on the Lions after having started with the Bulldogs. 

• Helmet - silver with a blue stripe. simple and easy
  • Jersey - blue jersey with shoulder length stripes that run from collar to cuffs. 
  • Pants - blue pants with a blue stripe down the side. grey socks and cleats

m0lXFt0.pngnOL4vWu.png

Green Bay - 1944 - Five years after the 1944 NFL championships, the Packers would leave navy in the dust and opt for green. But what if that happened just a few seasons earlier? 

• Helmet - matte green helmet. almost opted for a faux-leather helmet, but that felt just a little too gimmicky for the Packers
  • Jersey - finally a gold jersey for the Packers, which has shoulder caps that run about halfway into the sleeve caps. 
  • Pants - plain green pants. Can't say too much there. 

cE450Ev.png0nBhTJX.png

Minnesota Vikings - 1973 - J.Jeff should feel right at home in these as they bear a certain resemblance to jerseys worn at LSU. That aside, I always felt that this would be a good base for the Vikings if they ever wanted to go for more of a vintage uniform set, should they tire of the current uniforms. 

• Helmet - went back to the 1973 style horn on the helmet, but nothing too crazy beyond that
  • Jersey - purple version of the longtime white jerseys. 
  • Pants - purple pants, which in this style, were never worn before this. To avoid the all-white socks, socks from 1964 come along for the ride. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 10
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - NFC North

You did exactly what I hoped you would do with the Packers..... except the helmet needs to be yellow. Apart from the Steelers brief flirtation, yellow helmets are what the Packers have always owned in the NFL.

Packers' yokes are finally the proper size and shape making for a fantastic concept, my only suggestion would be to make the collar green like the yoke.  Also, the current block is definitely fitting, but I'm yearning for the day the Packers make a retro number font a la Bears throwbacks; could even go the 1939 Packers route with box top 1's and limited serifs.

• Like 2

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

tUqTugw.png

11 hours ago, NicDB said:

You did exactly what I hoped you would do with the Packers..... except the helmet needs to be yellow. Apart from the Steelers brief flirtation, yellow helmets are what the Packers have always owned in the NFL.

That's fair. The green helmet felt fitting in the spirit of the series, but you're right. The Packers do own the yellow helmet in the NFL. and while I did call it gimmicky in the beginning, I did end up going with a faux leather helmet design for the update. 

10 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Packers' yokes are finally the proper size and shape making for a fantastic concept, my only suggestion would be to make the collar green like the yoke.  Also, the current block is definitely fitting, but I'm yearning for the day the Packers make a retro number font a la Bears throwbacks; could even go the 1939 Packers route with box top 1's and limited serifs.

In your picture and my picture, the collars are the same color as the yokes. Not sure how I missed that at all. 

Did the best I could with the 7, but I did switch to a box top 1 font. 

Also added the 1939 stripes to the socks. 

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

rQUZtL5.png

Baltimore Ravens - 1996, without Trademark Issue Causing Logos - Baltimore had something good going in the early days of the franchise. Too bad they didn't think to give credit to the guy who basically designed the logo at the time. Doesn't mean we can't take something from it. 

• Helmet - purple helmet, a first for the franchise, with the two short stripes and this time with the B as a standalone logo
  • Jersey - a black jersey, not a first, but done more so in the 1996 style, w/o the shadow on the numbers, Raven head on the sleeves
  • Pants - purple, also not a first, but with the shield logo on the front hip and just a black stripe down the side. 

FWjbzNE.png

Cincinnati Bengals - 1981 - A little bit more difficult than I was expecting. Either I went with the pre-tiger stripe uniforms or the first Super Bowl uniforms. 

• Helmet - no change. Considered flipping the colors. Didn't like how it looked. 
  • Jersey - the same cannot be said here, as the tiger stripes stripe is built on a black base with orange stripes. 
  • Pants - black pants, with tiger stripes in the more traditional sense

QQfTz85.png

Cleveland Browns - 1946 - They just threw back to these, and now they get a different lease on their life

• Helmet - the helmet actually comes from 1957-1960, and features the number on the side. We take the white helmet from 1946, and give it a 57-60's spin. 
  • Jersey - fundamentally the same as the 1946 jersey, just with orange taking the place as the primary color. 
  • Pants - the pants remain white but the stripe which went Or/Bw/Or, now read Bw/Or/Bw. 

69UgG62.png

Pittsburgh Steelers - 1978 - The first of two parts for the Steelers, a more traditional take on the Steelers, though nothing is super traditional about the Reverse Retros

• Helmet - originally kept it black, but went to a reversed version of the black helmet. Similar to the actual gold helmets the team used to wear
  • Jersey - gold version of the long time black jerseys, with the correct number font. Honestly, the quicker the Steelers dump Futura on the jerseys, the better. 
  • Pants - the Color Rush pants needed something to do. 

oIQUUSE.png

Pittsburgh Steelers - 1967 - The second part for Pittsburgh, comes to us by way of a uniform the Steelers should actually throwback to soon IMO 

• Helmet - also went with the gold helmet. Originally this was the only uniform that would use the gold helmet. 
  • Jersey - gold version of the Batman uniforms
  • Pants - the Color Rush pants still need something to do. 

C&C welcome as always!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - AFC North + Packers Update

I'm not sold on the faux leather, but the Packers look much better with gold shells. 

The AFC North looks incredible. Not sure which version of the Steelers I like better, but reversing the "Batman" unis changes the golden triangle to black, which kinda kills the symbolism.

• Like 1

42U8Hj2.png

Atlanta Falcons - 1966 - Went all the way back to the beginning for the Falcons. Also an expose on HOW YOU DO A BLACK/RED/BLACK UNIFORM ATLANTA!

• Helmet - black replaces red across the board, including on the logo. 
  • Jersey - conversely, red replaces black across the board. 
  • Pants - the pants go black, doing that color switch thing, and so do the socks

uSrEYOV.png

Carolina Panthers - WFL Charlotte Hornets (yes, really) - Like the image says, having worn the same uniforms since the dawn of the franchise doesn't lend well to a series like this. So going way back to almost 20 years before the Panthers first took the field, in the short-lived World Football League, the Charlotte Hornets took the gridiron before they dribbled up and down the court. 

• Helmet - first time in franchise history, but a light blue helmet, with a triple stripe and a Panther silhouette logo on the sides. 
  • Jersey - white tops, three stripes on the sleeves with a basic block font. 
  • Pants - a bit of a question mark. The biggest/clearest image of the away uniforms for the Hornets shows something closer to an Ohio State red jersey style stripe, but other images showed solid triple stripes, so I went with the triple stripe, which matches the helmet. 

herzHls.png

New Orleans Saints - 1969 - I could have sworn the Saints had worn a gold jersey in the past, and they did for one game in 2002. But that one was in the lighter, khaki shade of gold. What about in the (better) brassy, old gold? 

• Helmet - the black helmet was only ever worn in the 1969 preseason and it gets a second chance here
  • Jersey - like I said above, a second chance for a gold jersey in New Orleans, this time in the throwback old gold. 
  • Pants - I flirted with the idea of black pants, but felt that white helped the color balance much better. 

kQFHVX6.png

Tampa Bay Buccaneers  - 1976 - If you can really believe it, the Bucs have really only worn 3 distinct uniform styles. To that end, there were really only a couple ways this really could go for the Bucs 

• Helmet - Kept the helmet white, but replaced orange with pewter. Also did some color work to Bucco Bruce. 
  • Jersey - rolled with pewter as the base with white and red serving as understudys
  • Pants - also kept them white with the obvious color swaps 

dIUgtpN.png

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2002 - But what if the 2014 branding was still in place. Keep calm, just a hypothetical. So the uniforms now don't look so close to the 2002 uniforms? Well what if we Forward Retro'd some unforms? 

• Helmet - white with a Creamsicle-colored 2002 waving flag logo
  • Jersey - orange replaces red, red takes over black. 
  • Pants - white, with the same color assignments as above. 

C&C Welcome!

On 3/4/2022 at 12:00 AM, NicDB said:

I'm not sold on the faux leather, but the Packers look much better with gold shells. 

The AFC North looks incredible. Not sure which version of the Steelers I like better, but reversing the "Batman" unis changes the golden triangle to black, which kinda kills the symbolism.

I personally would go with the 1978 ones for Pittsburgh. The Batman ones were more/less for fun and just for me to see how it looks. 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, DCarp1231 said:

All the teams in the AFC North are beautifully done. My favorite is by far the Browns.

As for suggestions, I have one-

For Cincinnati, try out the script helmet but utilize a tiger stripe as well

I'm not really trying to merge eras that extensively. Just trying to color swap uniforms. 

• Like 7
  • WOAH 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - NFC South

Nailed it once again. Definitely the creamsicles for the Bucs.

That said, looking back at the Dolphins... what if you did a reverse of their white unis jerseys from the 70s so that both of the "classic" Florida teams aren't wearing the same basic color?