A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2

colinturner95

461gFV4.png

Houston Texans - Gamblers - Not the uniforms they should be reversing, but I am not the one who made that call. I'm also not sure if this would fly today even, given the revival of the USFL and the legal issues starting to follow that. 

• Helmet - navy with a red and white stripe, and a slightly redesigned H+State logo. 
  • Jersey - white with a Northwestern stripe on the sleeves and a simple block number 
  • Pants - navy with a triple stripe, red socks round out the look of the original Texans away uniforms. 

jnbnzI1.png

Indianapolis Colts - 1982 - 1982 wasn't a good season for the Colts, and not really for the NFL at large. But the Colts use 1982 as the basis for their Reverse Retro and you'll see why

• Helmet - back to blue for the Colts, since their short shelf life in the early 50's and for the first time, with the horseshoe on the side. 
  • Jersey - grey/silver jersey, with the classic Colts stripes on the shoulders. 
  • Pants - The reason we went for 1982, with the horseshoe and player number on the hip, plus the original uniform's short lived silver pants 

RjgWXSP.png

Jacksonville Jaguars - Jacksonville Bulls - Jacksonville doesn't have the deepest uniform history, but they have a deep football history, going back to the WFL and the USFL. Originally the plan was the go with the Jacksonville Sharks of the WFL, but I quickly changed that. 

• Helmet - teal helmet, with a wraparound jaguar, done in the same style as the Bulls helmet. 
  • Jersey - black jersey, white minimized to the numbers, with stripes containing the same style jaguar as on the helmet
  • Pants - teal, with just a simple double stripe that is echoed on the socks

fPxcdCZ.png

Tennessee Titans - 1979 Oilers - Not the team that should be reversing to the Oilers IMO, but I don't get to make that choice. 

• Helmet - white. I know that while they are the same franchise, I couldn't bring myself to use the oil derrick logo, so I went with a stylized instead. 
  • Jersey - Columbia blue with navy taking place of red. 
  • Pants - same thing, with navy taking over for red. 

C&C welcome!

On 3/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, NicDB said:

Nailed it once again. Definitely the creamsicles for the Bucs.

That said, looking back at the Dolphins... what if you did a reverse of their white unis jerseys from the 70s so that both of the "classic" Florida teams aren't wearing the same basic color?

Wouldn't that just result in basically the same thing as their throwbacks? Plus the NHL put both the Canadiens and Maple Leafs in blue

• Like 7

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - AFC South

NFC south is absolutely gorgeous, that saints gold jersey is 😍. For some reason, although it's simple, I really like the titans look, the light blue and white just compliment each other so well. Really nice job on the last two divisions, panthers, saints, both for the Bucs, and the titans are probably my favorites out of the AFC and NFC south

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

That Jags logo is neat, but maybe you could try making the lines slightly jagged to look like scratches.

MewkAc9.png

Done. Gave the lines some jagged edges here and there. 

19 hours ago, ralphz said:

I gotta think that the Jags helmet would work better in gold.

Otherwise, nice ideas. 

Tried it. Didn't like it. Made the Jaguar look muddy with all the colors. Also gave me too many Steelers vibes. 

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

t

22 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

461gFV4.png

Houston Texans - Gamblers - Not the uniforms they should be reversing, but I am not the one who made that call. I'm also not sure if this would fly today even, given the revival of the USFL and the legal issues starting to follow that. 

• Helmet - navy with a red and white stripe, and a slightly redesigned H+State logo. 
  • Jersey - white with a Northwestern stripe on the sleeves and a simple block number 
  • Pants - navy with a triple stripe, red socks round out the look of the original Texans away uniforms. 

jnbnzI1.png

Indianapolis Colts - 1982 - 1982 wasn't a good season for the Colts, and not really for the NFL at large. But the Colts use 1982 as the basis for their Reverse Retro and you'll see why

• Helmet - back to blue for the Colts, since their short shelf life in the early 50's and for the first time, with the horseshoe on the side. 
  • Jersey - grey/silver jersey, with the classic Colts stripes on the shoulders. 
  • Pants - The reason we went for 1982, with the horseshoe and player number on the hip, plus the original uniform's short lived silver pants 

RjgWXSP.png

Jacksonville Jaguars - Jacksonville Bulls - Jacksonville doesn't have the deepest uniform history, but they have a deep football history, going back to the WFL and the USFL. Originally the plan was the go with the Jacksonville Sharks of the WFL, but I quickly changed that. 

• Helmet - teal helmet, with a wraparound jaguar, done in the same style as the Bulls helmet. 
  • Jersey - black jersey, white minimized to the numbers, with stripes containing the same style jaguar as on the helmet
  • Pants - teal, with just a simple double stripe that is echoed on the socks

fPxcdCZ.png

Tennessee Titans - 1979 Oilers - Not the team that should be reversing to the Oilers IMO, but I don't get to make that choice. 

• Helmet - white. I know that while they are the same franchise, I couldn't bring myself to use the oil derrick logo, so I went with a stylized instead. 
  • Jersey - Columbia blue with navy taking place of red. 
  • Pants - same thing, with navy taking over for red. 

C&C welcome!

Wouldn't that just result in basically the same thing as their throwbacks? Plus the NHL put both the Canadiens and Maple Leafs in blue

that titans one is a 10   

• Like 1

spacer.png

O3ogMs3.png

Arizona Cardinals -1988-1990 - The Cardinals are in desperate need of new uniforms. While I wouldn't want them to just go back to this era wholesale, the PHX era serves as the basis for the Reverse Retro

• Helmet - no change. 
  • Jersey - finally, a red Cardinals jersey with stripes on the sleeves. I didn't incorporate the flag into the stripes. It felt like too much with the Cardinal head moving to the shoulders. 
  • Also a first in this style, the red pants which have stripes that directly mirror the jersey stripes. 

hGjkP8p.png

Los Angeles Rams - 1999 - We're gonna party like its 1999, with the Greatest Show on Turf's uniforms getting one more run, in a sense. 

• Helmet - like the image says, for the first time in franchise history, a gold helmet with blue horns
  • Jersey - about the same as the gold color rush, but the gold sleeves are now white. it feels like it shouldn't work, but it does for some reason
  • Pants - white pants with gold and white flipping places

9D4cuXx.png

San Francisco 49ers - 1955 & 1963 - The Niners proved to be an interesting challenge, having worn the triple stripes on their sleeves a lot longer than I had thought. But they also had a brief silver period, which led to what we got. 

• Helmet - 1955. Kept it red for the unique factor, but changed the stripe to gold 
  • Jersey - 1963. The 49ers had a five year period where their white jerseys had colts style stripes on the sleeves, so those go red, with the '55 drop shadow numbers coming over. 
  • Pants - 1955. The pants go for gold, with the stripe on the side staying intact. Socks come over from 1963

hEuAoPz.png

Seattle Seahawks - 1984 - I'm still processing yesterday's trade news, and no I'm not okay with the news. What I am okay with is the possibility of these throwbacks coming back in the near future, but I'll have to settle on them inspiring the Reverse Retros. 

• Helmet - Kept it the same, but added a green facemask instead of the blue
  • Jersey - the blue jersey goes green, but keeps a lot of the details intact as they were in 1984
  • Pants - like the helmet, it stays largely the same, but a green belt gets added. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - NFC West

This whole thing is a beauty, from start to finish. I am a sucker for the drop-shadow 49ers' look, and I think the gold number do complement the rest of the uniform really well. Those green Seattle uniforms look great too, and it makes me wish for Seattle to bring back a green alternate uniform that doesn't blind us in the eyes. 

• Like 3

rAUPGPZ.png

For the Rams, I think the color balance would look better if you went with a white or blue facemask rather than the grey one. 

That Seahawks one is absolutely beautiful btw. I'd say that one and the Panthers are my favorites in this series so far. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Our final scene in Act 1 comes through the AFC West

BxtdiaD.png

Denver Broncos - 1961 - Admit it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing. But this jersey fits the theme of the Reverse Retro perfectly

• Helmet - navy with a white stripe and a number 
  • Jersey - orange, plain with navy elements. 
  • Pants - navy with orange stripes. vertically striped orange and navy socks!!

NaUDY2f.png

Kansas City Chiefs - 1969 - Not much you can do when you've worn the same uniform across two cities. 

• Helmet - we go for gold, and while this is about the Chiefs, I went with a Chief-itized version of the Dallas Texans logo. 
  • Jersey - also going for gold, with red taking prominence throughout the uniform 
  • Pants - couldn't justify any real changes, just a yellow belt

nsha70z.png

Los Angeles Chargers - 1963 - "Here's another idea that's gonna be very controversial". In an effort to not just throw them into a yellow jersey like their stadium mates, we arrive at an interesting solution

• Helmet - still white, bolt goes blue, with a navy outline
  • Jersey - navy, same color bolts as on the helmet. 
  • Pants - powder blue, with a navy bolt, white outline

nEYBxo0.png

Las Vegas Raiders - 1960-1962 - Before the Raiders settled on their current look, they had a very different look. 

• Helmet - matte black, with a silver stripe 
  • Jersey - silver, black triple stripes with smaller white outlines, including Athletic Gothic numbers
  • Pants - silver, with a skinny triple stripe

And that concludes Act 1. The NBA will follow shortly!

9 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

For the Rams, I think the color balance would look better if you went with a white or blue facemask rather than the grey one. 

That Seahawks one is absolutely beautiful btw. I'd say that one and the Panthers are my favorites in this series so far. 

Ah damn it. I used it from a different project and forgot to change the facemask color 

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NFL - AFC West
On 3/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, colinturner95 said:

O3ogMs3.png

Arizona Cardinals -1988-1990 - The Cardinals are in desperate need of new uniforms. While I wouldn't want them to just go back to this era wholesale, the PHX era serves as the basis for the Reverse Retro

• Helmet - no change. 
  • Jersey - finally, a red Cardinals jersey with stripes on the sleeves. I didn't incorporate the flag into the stripes. It felt like too much with the Cardinal head moving to the shoulders. 
  • Also a first in this style, the red pants which have stripes that directly mirror the jersey stripes. 

Turns out the Cards did have red pants with stripes on 'em!

spacer.png

Still a good look regardless. I can't wait for the NBA!

• Like 1

Looking good like usual. Only thing I would change is your logo for the Chiefs since their fanbase spans more than just Missouri. Their original logo from the 60s would be a good place to start.

spacer.png

Looking forward to the NBA!

• Like 1

An early start for Act 2, the NBA which will also begin in the East. Also something to note, the NBA might get silly, with how many teams have pulled from history to satisfy Nike's 4/5 uniform demands. 

5mAHlRT.png

Boston Celtics - 1949 - Boston has worn (variations of) the same uniform for decades now. So something that varies even a little would serve well for this. 

• Went with the 1949 drop-shadowed white uniforms and turned them Celtic Green. I think even Red Auerbach would be okay with these if he saw them today. But beyond that, a pretty simple uniform for the Celtics

UiXNYev.png

Brooklyn Nets - 1969 - The Nets take things back to the ABA, to a pretty nice looking uniform before we got a hold of it. 

• The pre-Dr. J Nets were categorized as less than top tier, but they looked good while waiting for Julius to arrive. I took the 1969 white uniform, complete with a gorgeous script the team should try and integrate into their uniforms in the future. What is white goes blue and versa vice. 

kIWjXS7.png

Brooklyn Nets - 1990 - I also had a wild hair for the Nets and went with a greyscaled version of the tie-dye alternates. which are pretty much as said. The blue pattern becomes shades of grey, the red and some blue elements become black and white keeps its spot 

4z0TJya.png

New York Knicks - 1958 - I'm going to be honest, but I didn't love a lot of my options for the Knicks. I settled on the barberpole stripe uniforms from the mid-to-late 50's on an orange base. Honestly I kind of like the look it ended up making, but again, just didn't like a whole lot of the other options that were there. 

oBjofq6.png

Philadelphia 76ers - 1991 - We're gonna party like its 1991 in one of the more memorable uniforms in NBA history. The Sixers flex their patriotism in a blue version of their stars and gradient uniforms which carry over as close as I could, with some exception to the shorts. 

sdS1Ffd.png

Toronto Raptors - 1995 - Speaking of the 90's, another memorable 90's uniform makes its return in a reversed manner. The popular inaugural uniforms for the Raptors return, this time with a black base and a lot of purple elements. 

C&C welcome!

On 3/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Turns out the Cards did have red pants with stripes on 'em! Still a good look regardless. I can't wait for the NBA!

Yes but the stripes didn't change from white pants to red pants. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Atlantic

Moving westward a touch to the Central Division: 

Z2COStB.png

Chicago Bulls - 1984 - Much like I said on the image, you say "Chicago Bulls", your mind has an immediate image of Michael Jordan in the iconic dynasty uniforms. I rolled with that when working on the Bulls, with a twist. 

• I chose to go with 1984, in part because it marked the arrival of Michael Jordan, but also due in large part because of the Chicago script. I also chose to go black, which isn't unusual for the Bulls, they've done it since 1995, but they've never done a straight swap on the colors on the shorts. They've gotten close, but the design always changed in some way. 

zMiKWlE.png

Cleveland Cavaliers - 1998 - Thanks in large part to the Cavfanatic uniforms, the Cavs have been doing a lot of Reverse Retro'ing in many respects since the mid to late 2000's, which presented somewhat of an issue. 

• I opted for the 1996-1999 uniforms, mostly out of their uniqueness and rolled them out in the current colors. black is used ever so sparingly, a little on the logo, but also in the numbers. 

4LK5oFM.png

Detroit Pistons - 1967 - The Pistons ran through a lot of styles before settling down on the Bad Boys era uniforms, which have largely persisted into today's game, but for a short stretch, royal blue wasn't the only blue the Pistons featured. 

• The uniform goes baby blue, relegating royal to the stripes and other elements. 

wi38jPW.png

Indiana Pacers - 1972 - I wanted to go with a gold FloJo, but the end result looked just like their current Statement uniforms. so instead we went all the way back to the ABA and the red, white and blue ball. 

• Gold uniform, with the stripes going up from the shorts, up the side of the jersey and wrapping around to the back. What was blue is now gold and vice versa 

OLGr99e.png

Milwaukee Bucks - 1985 - The Irish Rainbows pretty heavily inspired the current Bucks uniforms, but now they get a new run on the court. 

• A light green uniform that moves the dark green to the stripes on the bottom of the shorts and around the arms on the jersey. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Central

The gold ABA Pacers uniform is awesome. I've always been an advocate for the yellow Pacers jersey's, and I would love to see how the other Pacers uniforms would had looked with a yellow base.

Also, those 1985 Bucks uniforms are extremely underrated.

• Like 3

rAUPGPZ.png