A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2

colinturner95

8ECf23J.png

Atlanta Hawks - 1985 - Somehow now the craziest uniforms in ATL history, but definitely a good set to go with for our purposes

• Went with the 1982-1986 uniforms for the Hawks, this time on a yellow base. a pretty simple swap as far as things go. 

R9nygjS.png

Atlanta Hawks - 1995 + 1972 - Were the Dominique Wilkins uniforms not enough for you? 

• The outrageous black and red gradient uniforms take on a different color scheme, running with the Pistol Pete blue and green scheme. 

nFNxhdo.png

Charlotte Hornets - 2004 Bobcats - Charlotte provided an interesting challenge. Couldn't just go back to day 1, they already have worn teal, white and purple versions of those uniforms. Carolina Cougars didn't provide much to work with. But there was one more avenue to go down 

• The Bobcats weren't the most successful team on the court, but gave us a different way to take these uniforms. By and large, the Hornets become the Bobcats again, this time keeping the purple and teal and the Hornets name. 

w9dKbob.png

Miami Heat - Miami Floridians - They've gone down this road before, but not like this. 

• The Heat become the Floridians again, but this time get the nightlife involved and go for a Vice rendition of the Floridians uniforms.  

zveqs1R.png

Orlando Magic - 2002 - Penny Hardaway had left Orlando by 2002, but the uniforms hadn't by that point and are now back in black

• The star-studded uniforms return to the hardwood, this time in black with blue and silver accents. I used a blue jersey in the example photo, but used the side panels from the white uniforms of the era. 

Kio7LZy.png

Washington Wizards - 2001 - In a very similar move to their hockey playing buddies, the Wizards dip into the 90s

• The blue. black and bronze give way to red, white and navy, as the 90's Wizards uniforms come back to the court in the current color scheme

n56nuJl.png

Washington Wizards - 2006 - Ignore the image date, but this jersey comes from 2006. It's also one of the more unique uniforms in NBA history and gets a second shot 

• Gold and black give way to navy and red and swap spots with each other, including the mismatched shorts and jersey. White doesn't need to go anywhere. Also the more I look at it, the more I think I like that alternate pre-Reverse Retro'ing. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Southeast

Don't hate going back to the Bobcats for this challenge (my ideal would be the classic pins with the modern fonts) but I would've gone with the NASCAR night jerseys. Having the pinstripes makes it better in my opinion at representing the team as a whole. Never been a fan of those original Cats jerseys.

cc16ce535c518c748a6e01e40924cb2a8dec1593.png

Still a great jersey, it works really well with the teal and purple. Loving the rest of the SE, Miami in particular.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

16 hours ago, QCS said:

Don't hate going back to the Bobcats for this challenge (my ideal would be the classic pins with the modern fonts) but I would've gone with the NASCAR night jerseys. Having the pinstripes makes it better in my opinion at representing the team as a whole. Never been a fan of those original Cats jerseys.

Still a great jersey, it works really well with the teal and purple. Loving the rest of the SE, Miami in particular.

WCW8sit.png

went with that era, just not the Racing Day side panels. the pinstripes do tie the eras together.  

• Like 8

AmPJ0Ty.png 

You're on fire right now!

I always wanted those black Orlando jerseys to be a thing. I'm still peeved that they ever moved away from the sublliminated stars. To me that was the perfect evolution of the classic Shaq & Penny jerseys. Now the Magic just looks bland.

I was on the fence about the Heat... something about such 80s colors being applied to such a 70s template. But the more I look at them the more I like them.

I loved those Wizards alts back in the day (not many people did) and I may actually like yours even more. Either way, it was just about the only instance of me actually liking a mismatched shirt and shorts. This would be a great way for them to stand out from all the other red & blue teams.

• Like 2

DlHFQlc.png

Denver Nuggets - 1976 - The Nuggets have had an interesting uniform history to say the least and I reached pretty far back for them 

• I've never been shy about my belief that the double blues + yellow is the superior color scheme for the Nuggs. To that end, those colors take over for the original blue, white and red scheme of 1976.

3VA13Wc.png

Minnesota Timberwolves - 1989 + 2004 - The original plan was to just go green with the inaugural uniforms but it looked too Dallas for my liking so things went in a different direction

• The Garnett era uniforms make their return to the court, this time in the color scheme Christian Laettner wore in his days in Minnesota. 

1aYxexu.png

Oklahoma City Thunder - 2008 - Wasn't going any further back than 2008 for the Thunder. Limiting but appropriate to me .

• Simple swap of navy blue and light blue. 

o420Qif.png

Portland Trail Blazers - 1977 - The Walton Championship uniforms get a new spin on things. 

• The lone championship season for Portland makes another return to the court, this time in a black uniform, with red and white elements. 

xd65CEQ.png

Utah Jazz - 1998 - I'll say it. These are the best uniforms the UTAH Jazz have worn. The Mardi Gras Colors are fine and dandy, but leave that for New Orleans. 

• The purple mountain uniforms now go light blue, which pretty much relegates purple to a very minor color, just used in the logos and the mountain peaks. 

And one more for your viewing pleasure: 

QCzBNRj.png

Seattle Supersonics - 1996 - Call me an optimist, but I truly believe the Sonics will be back soon, but in the meantime, I'll settle for just a Reverse Retro'ing of their uniforms. 

• Took the 1996 uniforms and put them in the 1979 colors, which makes those logos look a little bit better but still not super great IMO. 

C&C welcome!

On 3/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Hear me out,

The Racing Day side panels, but make them honeycombs

I actually really like that idea. I'll make that happen for the next set. 

• Like 10

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Northwest

The Sonics look AMAZING, and I can't think of a single way to improve on the Jazz, Blazers, or Thunder.

That said, I think the primary color of the Nuggets wordmark as well as the wordmark and number for the Wolves need to be white. I appreciate the consistency you were going for, but legibility matters more.

• Like 2

SGgW0Nh.png

Golden State Warriors - 1999 - The one true deviation from the Golden State identity saw a darker blue and the introduction of orange, but what if it just, didn't? 

• The uniform set that preceded the We Believe days gets a second lap, this time in the current colors of the team. 

NmrS4G7.png

Golden State - 1975 - This one is more for me, but was the original pick for what uniform I was gonna go with. 

• Nothing wild, just a white version of the trolley car throwbacks the Warriors have worn a lot in the last few seasons. 

CWSY21c.png

LA Clippers - 1972 Buffalo Braves - The Clip Show goes way back into their history and I dug not so far back into my files to dig this one up

• Repurposed my Retro Remix uniform for the Clippers, this time with the current red and blue. 

XVv3ILr.png

LA Lakers - 1962 - In 1985, Jerry Buss once said, “This has removed the most odious sentence in the English language. It can never again be said that the Lakers have never beaten the Celtics.” But this isn't 1985. 

• The uniforms of the Lakers before the Forum Blue and Gold (and Los Angeles success) days get that same treatment here. 

XP5JyI9.png

Phoenix Suns - 1993 - I did have reservations about this one, taking a bright orange sunburst on an orange base. But in the spirit of the series, I think this worked out as best as we could get it

• One of the memorable 90's uniforms gets a different take, with orange and black trading places. 

1pEfG6Z.png

Sacramento Kings - 1985 - definitely not the most flashy uniform I could have gone with, but I loved the simplicity of this uniform and its Reverse Retro outcome

• The Reggie Theus blue and red uniforms become the De'Aaron Fox purple and black Reverse Retros. 

C&C welcome! A few updates to follow in the next post

• Like 7
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

h1cjexK.png

In the Southeast, the idea was brought up of using honeycombs instead of the racing flag pattern. It turned out to be a much more difficult pattern to repeat and not overlap color a whole lot than a checkerboard, but I leave here for you all to see. 

WEd35Fl.png

J6oJQ4W.png

In the Northwest, just switched some colors around to improve legibility

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Pacific + Updates

Nugs and Wolves look MUCH better!

Knocked it out of the park with the Suns, Kings, and Lakers! That's exactly what I was hoping you'd do. 

For the Clippers, I'd recommend either swapping the colors of the stripes or using red numbers. The white numbers on the white stripe is a legibility issue.

For the Warriors, make the numbers on the cable car yellow, for the sake of color balance. That's your winner for them. I get the impulse to try the 90s redesign, but it was designed to work with 3 colors and really doesn't with just 2.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, NicDB said:

For the Clippers, I'd recommend either swapping the colors of the stripes or using red numbers. The white numbers on the white stripe is a legibility issue.

Bi3iYtq.png

Got rid of the red outlines so now the outline cuts into the stripe, giving the back number some breathing room 

On 3/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, NicDB said:

For the Warriors, make the numbers on the cable car yellow, for the sake of color balance. That's your winner for them. I get the impulse to try the 90s redesign, but it was designed to work with 3 colors and really doesn't with just 2.

qAUWVFw.png

Easy peasy. 

VbXuAw7.png

It just so happened I had a third color to work with to help smooth out some of the issues in going from 3 colors to 2. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

And for our final scene in Act 2: 

SL4Argp.png

Dallas Mavericks - 1981 - In 40 some years, two colors schemes and two distinct uniform styles. Time for the two to meet. 

• The first style the Mavs ever wore meets up with the color scheme they still wear to this date. 

tbn8SZK.png

Houston Rockets - 1996 - This one might be my favorite of all the uniforms so far. 

• The very-90's Rockets navy and red uniforms go back a season or two, and get a brighter take on things. 

wkvxJmq.png

Memphis Grizzlies - 1995 - Not a lot of options I loved here, but to go back to Vancouver in some ways. 

• The Vancouver Grizzlies uniforms hit the court again, this time with some Memphis flavor, which is in a way the Mixtape uniforms the Grizzlies are wearing this season. 

2qctA5F.png

New Orleans Pelicans - New Orleans Buccaneers - The Pelicans don't have a super deep history, so we go back to the ABA

• The Pelicans dip back to the Bucs days, and add some party flair to it, taking the blue and red uniform and use the Mardi Gras color scheme. 

FCMrwJF.png

San Antonio Spurs - 1970 Dallas Chaparrals - The Spurs also dig back into their ABA history, honoring their previous namesake

• The red, white and blue Chaps uniforms become a grey and black Spurs uniform, complete with the Texas logos on the sides of the shorts. 

llidn7G.png

San Antonio Spurs - 1976 - Now venturing into the slightly more bizarre, the Spurs second RR goes in the opposite direction

• The Spurs take their early NBA uniforms and give them a Chaparral-style makeover, going back to the red, white and blue colors.  

And that wraps up the NBA! MLB to follow soon!!

• Like 8

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NBA - Southwest + Updates

This entire series was amazing!

A few nitpicks though: 

• The Mavericks 80’s jerseys didn’t have a stripe down the side. Look at the examples picture you used.
  • The light blue on the Warriors looks kinda teal-ish. Maybe that’s my phone screen, but could you try replacing it with navy or the slate gray they use for alternates?

1 minute ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This entire series was amazing!

A few nitpicks though: 

• The Mavericks 80’s jerseys didn’t have a stripe down the side. Look at the examples picture you used.
  • The light blue on the Warriors looks kinda teal-ish. Maybe that’s my phone screen, but could you try replacing it with navy or the slate gray they use for alternates?

Ah :censored:. The side stripe came from my NBA series. That's my bad. I'll fix that. 

That's the same light blue from that uniform and logo era. It does kinda border on the line between light blue and teal tho, I give you that. 

AmPJ0Ty.png