A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2

colinturner95

On 4/19/2022 at 1:44 PM, NicDB said:

I almost hesitate to mention this since I REALLY love both of your Padres uniforms. But your Rockies uniforms made me realize all of these markets were in the Pacific Coast League at one point, and I'll bet you could come up with some phenomenal designs such as the Dodgers as the Hollywood Stars or the Giants as the San Francisco Seals. Or taking a classic PCL Padres uniform and slapping on the flamboyant colors the MLB Padres are known for. 

Also, long live the Phoenix Firebirds. That was one of the coolest MiLB names ever.I'll bet they'd look awesome in purple & teal. Or, since the Diamondbacks represent all of Arizona, you could look into some of the Tucson teams. You could go with an old Sidewinders uniform if you wanted to keep the snake theme. Or... you could put your spin on these notorious doozys....

spacer.png

7boQg38.png

That almost felt like a challenge so naturally I had to do it. With some obvious simplifications, the Toros lend themselves to the Diamondbacks' identity. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/hilariously-hideous-1980-tucson-toros-uniforms-making-colorful-204344740.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN7aSw0FW7UWL2o-Nx0IFxElqF0aIww9G_aEQ3FdSy1C1l_Z8uibMFZfkj0CZDfj1rmUUq-yADZioGph1D0G_LrZ80oF7UFCT7r4NuHnOXMbckuEGudAD_Sl8QonpYruJitbhDgUpY0kgIzFmnt0qCePAT4pc6HS_leLbOkZB8Fa

A good article about these ridiculous uniforms. 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, coco1997 said:

Giants - The angled "S" and "F" look awkward so I'd straighten them out. 

NykILDQ.png

The reference images I found showed them to be angled and maybe I did go overboard with it so I did straighten them out but not completely. 

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

That Toros-inspired D-Backs design is SICK! Reminds me a little of their Turn Ahead the Clock unis. 

I'd still like to see the prototype Padres in in brown and orange and the Bears in purple and silver. The straightened out letters on the Giants are an improvement. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

That Toros-inspired D-Backs design is SICK! Reminds me a little of their Turn Ahead the Clock unis. 

I'd still like to see the prototype Padres in in brown and orange and the Bears in purple and silver. The straightened out letters on the Giants are an improvement. 

tAu1uQX.png

I don't know if I love this or not, but I also don't see the Rockies as a purple and silver primarily team. 

XO7oJjm.png

Went brown and orange primarily, with yellow serving as that accent color. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Alright, the encore to this four-ay, we start where we have for everyone, in the East, in this case, the Atlantic. 

gWNEkgU.png

Boston Bruins - Pooh Bear - If you followed along with my NHL Nike Series, you're likely gonna recognize a few of these uniforms. But all I said was no repeats from what Adidas did, not what I've done in the past. 

• The Pooh Bears get another take on things, this time on a white base. I tried going for a black base with yellow and white cuffs but it just looked too bright and "vibrated" when you looked at them too long. That's as clear as I can make it. 

i1f51D9.png

Buffalo Sabres - 1987-1996 - Probably the best and most iconic (for good reasons) of all the Sabres uniforms combines with something the Sabres have never had: a good yellow uniforms. 

• An easy color swap of blue and gold resulting in a gold version of the first uniform set the Sabres wore as a franchise

FgbZkvC.png

Detroit Red Wings - 1927-1928 Cougars - Oh Detroit. Could have done anything other than what we got in reality and it would have been better than the actual uniform. 

• A straight swap of the Cougars uniforms/75th anniversary uniforms that now is red base/white stripes. Again. Anything would have been better than the white/silver disaster we got. 

vwGHAt1.png

Florida Panthers - 2011-2012 Alternate - I said it on the image, but this is one uniform that I thought deserved much better than it got. 

• it's not the biggest reversal we're gonna see in the NHL, but the double blue goes away in favor of the current scheme, which minimizes white in favor of the old gold. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 7

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - ATL. Part 1
3 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Alright, the encore to this four-ay, we start where we have for everyone, in the East, in this case, the Atlantic. 

gWNEkgU.png

Boston Bruins - Pooh Bear - If you followed along with my NHL Nike Series, you're likely gonna recognize a few of these uniforms. But all I said was no repeats from what Adidas did, not what I've done in the past. 

• The Pooh Bears get another take on things, this time on a white base. I tried going for a black base with yellow and white cuffs but it just looked too bright and "vibrated" when you looked at them too long. That's as clear as I can make it. 

i1f51D9.png

Buffalo Sabres - 1987-1996 - Probably the best and most iconic (for good reasons) of all the Sabres uniforms combines with something the Sabres have never had: a good yellow uniforms. 

• An easy color swap of blue and gold resulting in a gold version of the first uniform set the Sabres wore as a franchise

FgbZkvC.png

Detroit Red Wings - 1927-1928 Cougars - Oh Detroit. Could have done anything other than what we got in reality and it would have been better than the actual uniform. 

• A straight swap of the Cougars uniforms/75th anniversary uniforms that now is red base/white stripes. Again. Anything would have been better than the white/silver disaster we got. 

vwGHAt1.png

Florida Panthers - 2011-2012 Alternate - I said it on the image, but this is one uniform that I thought deserved much better than it got. 

• it's not the biggest reversal we're gonna see in the NHL, but the double blue goes away in favor of the current scheme, which minimizes white in favor of the old gold. 

C&C welcome!

The Bruins and Panthers are PERFECT. Both of those are exactly what I want them to do for the next Reverse Retro run

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

Part 2 of the Atlantic coming up now: 

3f4abFY.png

Montreal Canadiens - 1935 Maroons - I'm sure this one would not go over super well, but anything w/o a chest stripe for the Habs feels very wrong. Doesn't stop me from trying, but how do you reverse a team that's worn the same uniforms for decades? 

• As a result of researching the Maroons and Canadiens relationship, I didn't know that the famous Forum was built for the Maroons, not the Canadiens. But as for the uniform, a white jersey with blue and red stripes on the sleeves and hem. Block C&H logo done in the style of the Maroons M logo. 

w3SNRav.png

Ottawa Senators - 2000-2007 - With the Senators having already gone back to the day one jerseys, we go back to the day two jerseys. 

• The sweeping stripes jersey goes black with red becoming the primary stripe color 

bfvWTO6.png

Tampa Bay Lightning - EHL Jacksonville/FL Rockets - Another holdover from my NHL Nike Series, the Bolts flip the old Rockets uniforms to suit their needs

• Red and blue go away for black and blue. Florida becomes Tampa Bay on the chest with the stars surrounding the words becoming little bolts. 

HWyaq2N.png

Toronto Maple Leafs - St. Pats - This one was a little goofy, but I had the idea and had to at least try it. 

• The white and green goes back to blue and white, with the St Pats font lending itself to to the Maple Leafs wordmark. 

Some interesting choices I went with here, but let me know what you all think!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - ATL. Part 2
5 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Tampa Bay Lightning - EHL Jacksonville/FL Rockets - Another holdover from my NHL Nike Series, the Bolts flip the old Rockets uniforms to suit their needs

• Red and blue go away for black and blue. Florida becomes Tampa Bay on the chest with the stars surrounding the words becoming little bolts. 

Yo Mr. Bettman.

• Like 1

The first half of the Metro is here: 

jkHCj1U.png

Carolina Hurricanes - Hartford Whalers - This still feels scummy, even if they are the same franchise. But this feels better than just slapping grey on a previously white uniform. 

• The Whale goes blue 20 years sooner than they did in real life with a blue version of the classic green Whalers uniforms. 

OMVYY0L.png

Columbus Blue Jackets - Columbus Chill - In the opposite direction of simplicity, is this creation for the Blue Jackets. 

• I did this jersey in red for the Nike series, so I went with it in navy for this series, but the design is as advertised, wild and perfect for this kind of promotion. 

3jOR689.png

New Jersey Devils - The only red jersey they need to wear - I'm not sure these can qualify as a Reverse 'Retro', since they only stopped wearing them 5 years ago. 

• A straight color swap and return to sanity for us here, but a black Devils jersey that feels a decade overdue and one that doesn't go full Rae Dunn on us. 

Jw1EWNs.png

New York Islanders - 1978-1984 - If you were looking for the Fishsticks, you can find them here. Sharing them twice might cause the internet to melt. 

• This time for the Isles, I went for the dynasty era uniforms, this time in orange, relegating white to a trim color. Also went for an orange helmet to add something else to the uniqueness factor.  
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Metro Pt.1
1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

The first half of the Metro is here: 

jkHCj1U.png

Carolina Hurricanes - Hartford Whalers - This still feels scummy, even if they are the same franchise. But this feels better than just slapping grey on a previously white uniform. 

• The Whale goes blue 20 years sooner than they did in real life with a blue version of the classic green Whalers uniforms. 

OMVYY0L.png

Columbus Blue Jackets - Columbus Chill - In the opposite direction of simplicity, is this creation for the Blue Jackets. 

• I did this jersey in red for the Nike series, so I went with it in navy for this series, but the design is as advertised, wild and perfect for this kind of promotion. 

3jOR689.png

New Jersey Devils - The only red jersey they need to wear - I'm not sure these can qualify as a Reverse 'Retro', since they only stopped wearing them 5 years ago. 

• A straight color swap and return to sanity for us here, but a black Devils jersey that feels a decade overdue and one that doesn't go full Rae Dunn on us. 

Jw1EWNs.png

New York Islanders - 1978-1984 - If you were looking for the Fishsticks, you can find them here. Sharing them twice might cause the internet to melt. 

• This time for the Isles, I went for the dynasty era uniforms, this time in orange, relegating white to a trim color. Also went for an orange helmet to add something else to the uniqueness factor.  

I'd love to see a blue RR for the Whalers. It's so much better than the gray they did last season. 

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

6AZON25.png

New York Rangers - 1946-1947 - The second half of the Metro starts off on a simpler note, with the Rangers going for a white version of their single season college style uniform. 

• It might be more suited for a Winter Classic, but for the Rangers it felt appropriate. 

UWto7p1.png

Philadelphia Flyers - 1972-1977 - I'll just come out and say it, I wasn't a huge fan of the Flyers IRL Reverse Retro. So with that, we go back to the early days of Flyers hockey. 

• The Cup-winning uniforms go black, with white and black trading places. Also, the Winged-P logo changes color for only the second time on a uniform in Flyers history. 

PdFRShb.png

Pittsburgh Penguins - 1967-1968 - gold jerseys seem to be the rage these days in Pittsburgh, so this jersey goes for the gold. 

• The inaugural double blue Pens uniforms switch to black and yellow. 

shoEyxm.png

Washington Capitals - 1974-1975 - A very different direction than what the Caps actually did. 

• The inaugural Caps uniforms meet up with the 90's Caps colors in this take on the Reverse Retro. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 9

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Metro Pt.2

We enter the Western Conference of a league for the final time this series: 

NNPnv3R.png

Arizona Coyotes - WHA Phoenix Roadrunners - With their deep uniform history already ran through, I went outside the Coyotes history and to Arizona's hockey history

• The Roadrunners of the WHA skate on once again, this time in a uniform bearing a Coyote on the chest, and on a sand uniform with brick and black stripes. 

FZr2TUm.png

Chicago Blackhawks - 1956-1957 - I see why the Blackhawks gave us the RR they did. It really wasn't super easy picking a good uniform to flip. 

• While it does resemble their old black alternates, this RR features the old Indian head, with the era appropriate C-Tomahawks on the sleeves. 

rjpJFIY.png

Colorado Avalanche - 1999-2001 - The Avs have slowly tweaked and tweaked these uniforms but haven't given us one thing with them: a blue version. 

• Like I said, blue version of the Avalanche's long time uniform style. 

1POTsXM.png

Dallas Stars - 1997-1999 - In a similar vein to Colorado, Dallas gives us a different color of a well liked uniform, at least from my own opinion on the matter. 

• A victory green version of the transitory uniforms from the franchise's move from Minnesota. 

C&C Welcome!

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.1

Pretty sure that blue Avs jersey would sell out in 0.3 seconds. The green Stars and Whalers are cool. The Caps one I like too but not sure if it tops the old red/white/blue jerseys lol. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

odME1PU.png

Minnesota Wild - 2003-2007 - I always liked this Wild uniform and wished it hadn't gotten bastardized when Reebok took over

• In keeping with the current theme for the Wild, the North Stars colors take over again. 

2O6OJYC.png

Nashville Predators - 2001-2004 - I view the Reverse Retro thing as a second chance of sorts for uniforms, and this uniform could use a second chance. 

• Took the much-maligned mustard alternate the Preds wore for 3 seasons and gave it a white base with the current shades of navy and gold. 

5nw45h1.png

St. Louis Blues - 1995-1997 - Didn't deviate too far for the Blues, just switched a couple colors. 

• Kept the same Reverse Retro, this time kicking red to the curb and going with navy as the base. 

EbL4xyE.png

Winnipeg Jets - WHA Jets - In the biggest change from real life, the second iteration of the Jets look back to the first iteration of the Jets for inspiration. 

• The inaugural uniforms the Jets (the ones that are now the Coyotes) wore go red while their pants go blue. Included for the added pizzazz, the contrasting nameplate that came with the uniform. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 9

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2
  • 3 weeks later...

I promise I haven't forgotten about this: 

gnU4Mms.png

Anaheim Ducks - 2003-2006 - I don't think many expected to ever see Wild Wing again, which was cool, but I definitely wanted to see a different uniform take a spin for the Ducks. 

• The black uniform (which in retrospect seems very much like a trial run for the current identity), goes green, well jade if we're being technical. The only real deviation is using the striped pants from the sets before the black jersey. 

f4XPn5q.png

Anaheim Ducks - Mighty Ducks - In a slightly different take, we get a uniform that feels like something we should have seen already. 

• The iconic Mighty Ducks uniforms also go jade, basically trading places with the eggplant

AN9nS7q.png

Calgary Flames - 1995-1998 - I really like the Pedestal jerseys, and I really like them in black, which is what you see here. 

• In their quirky late 90's way, the Pedestal jerseys return to the ice, this time on a black base with red serving as secondary. 

VV9ttIG.png

Edmonton Oilers - WHA 1972-1973 - I had previously flipped the McFarlane alternates in my NHL series, so for this series I went back even further, back to the Alberta Oilers day. 

• Everyone seemed to enjoy seeing the Oilers wear them in orange, so the WHA uniforms go blue from head to toe. Orange pants were considered, but ultimately rejected in the end. 

M2SaDS6.png

Los Angeles Kings - 1967-1968 - The Kings take their first uniform set and give it the Raiders treatment

• Jack Kent Cooke and his Forum Blue dribble away and the Kings go for the black and silver. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 8

AmPJ0Ty.png