A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! NHL ENCORE - Central Pt.2

colinturner95

On 3/21/2022 at 6:09 PM, colinturner95 said:

8ECf23J.png

Atlanta Hawks - 1985 - Somehow now the craziest uniforms in ATL history, but definitely a good set to go with for our purposes

• Went with the 1982-1986 uniforms for the Hawks, this time on a yellow base. a pretty simple swap as far as things go. 

R9nygjS.png

Atlanta Hawks - 1995 + 1972 - Were the Dominique Wilkins uniforms not enough for you? 

• The outrageous black and red gradient uniforms take on a different color scheme, running with the Pistol Pete blue and green scheme. 

nFNxhdo.png

Charlotte Hornets - 2004 Bobcats - Charlotte provided an interesting challenge. Couldn't just go back to day 1, they already have worn teal, white and purple versions of those uniforms. Carolina Cougars didn't provide much to work with. But there was one more avenue to go down 

• The Bobcats weren't the most successful team on the court, but gave us a different way to take these uniforms. By and large, the Hornets become the Bobcats again, this time keeping the purple and teal and the Hornets name. 

w9dKbob.png

Miami Heat - Miami Floridians - They've gone down this road before, but not like this. 

• The Heat become the Floridians again, but this time get the nightlife involved and go for a Vice rendition of the Floridians uniforms.  

zveqs1R.png

Orlando Magic - 2002 - Penny Hardaway had left Orlando by 2002, but the uniforms hadn't by that point and are now back in black

• The star-studded uniforms return to the hardwood, this time in black with blue and silver accents. I used a blue jersey in the example photo, but used the side panels from the white uniforms of the era. 

Kio7LZy.png

Washington Wizards - 2001 - In a very similar move to their hockey playing buddies, the Wizards dip into the 90s

• The blue. black and bronze give way to red, white and navy, as the 90's Wizards uniforms come back to the court in the current color scheme

n56nuJl.png

Washington Wizards - 2006 - Ignore the image date, but this jersey comes from 2006. It's also one of the more unique uniforms in NBA history and gets a second shot 

• Gold and black give way to navy and red and swap spots with each other, including the mismatched shorts and jersey. White doesn't need to go anywhere. Also the more I look at it, the more I think I like that alternate pre-Reverse Retro'ing. 

C&C welcome!

That Hawks blue-green gradient may be the wildest NBA concept I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

The first movement in our last act of this play, comes to us by way of the American League, starting in the East: 

7U8Agab.png

Baltimore Orioles - 1945 STL Browns - Baltimore leans deep into their history and goes back to St. Louis for the inspiration for their Reverse Retros. 

• Headwear - For the hats, kept it with the design, with piping all around the sides of the hat. The helmet just has the classic Block B on the front in orange. 
  • Jersey - with orange being the lone constant between the two franchise names, the jersey is orange, with thin triple stripes around the sleeves and up the shoulders, with a Cleveland Browns style stripe down the placket. 
  • Pants/Socks - Pretty simple with with a similar stripe as the shoulders. Socks have a triple stripe. 

3SNF9OU.png

Boston Red Sox - 1975 - Boston's worn pretty similar uniforms in the modern MLB era so going back to the pullovers of the 70s made a lot of sense to me. 

• Headwear - not an unusual sight here, but navy with the red brim
  • Jersey - red pullovers, Red Sox on the chest, triple stripe on the collar. 
  • Pants/socks - faux waistband-style pants. I did almost mess with the socks color order, but felt the existing look worked the best. 

kLtxyjs.png

New York Yankees - 1927 - I just know this would make Yankees' fans squirm. So naturally that's why I did it. 

• Headwear - I almost went with a white hat. But I didn't. Just used a logo closer to what Murderer's Row wore. 
  • Jersey - At least I kept the pinstripes. They're just white now on a navy uniform. The pinstripe uniforms of the era didn't have a logo on them, so the Yankees block lettering comes over. 
  • Pants/Socks - Pants look just like their jerseys, socks are simply navy. 

ShPYm6P.png

Tampa Bay Rays - 1998 - I didn't quite have a concrete plan for the Rays, but their inaugural uniforms were iconic and so I just went down that route. 

• Headwear - all navy with the old Devil Rays logo on the front, just in the current colors
  • Jersey - light blue, with the recolored Devil Rays logo on the front. 
  • Pants/Socks - Simple stripe down the sides on the pants, LB socks

M6k2B46.png

Toronto Blue Jays - 1979 - Our last entry in the AL East also went back to the pullover era, only for them, it was year 3 of their existence. 

• Headwear - kept things pretty much the same, just went with a light blue front panel on the hats
  • Jersey - royal blue takes the place of powder blue. 
  • Pants/Socks - same as the jersey, powder blue this time for the socks. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 6
  • Love 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - AL East

Great work on the AL East! I really like what you did with the Orioles in particular. 

One complaint I have with the Rays design is that the gradient starting from light blue to yellow makes it very hard to read against the sky blue jersey. I'd just use the same style gradient as the original Devil Rays uniforms.

Or, is it possible to create a new gradient that starts with the Rays' navy blue and then ends with yellow?

9NgwNDC.png

Chicago White Sox - 1967 & 1983 - Baseball is proving to be an interesting challenge for a project like this. How do you reverse uniforms that have either been white or grey? Well you can smash eras together. 

• Headwear - white panel hat, red replaced with light blue. Helmet is all navy with a blue brim. 
  • Jersey - the 1983 jersey meets up with the 67 colors, powder blue uniform, red goes away. 
  • Pants - like the jerseys, powder blue. 

9XFyfuj.png

Cleveland Guardians - 1933 - The Guardians go back, way back in their history, back to the early 30's. 

NNF9hDZ.png

Detroit Tigers - 1960 - The Tigers have done things very simply for a long time now. The Reverse Retros aren't that much different. 

• Headwear - white w/navy brim and navy olde English D. 
  • Jersey - The Tigers wore their nickname on their uniforms for just one season, and now for a second season, just on a navy base this go around. 
  • Pants - no change what so ever. 

lUYq9qw.png

Kansas City Royals - 2003 - Crazy to think that these sleeveless uniforms are almost 20 years old. 

• Headwear - all powder blue, white KC on the front
  • Jersey - sleeveless powder blue, blue sleeves, black goes away entirely.
  • Pants - only change is a powder blue belt

AZJkIT5.png

Minnesota Twins - 1985 - Nothing super wild, just went to the pullover era for the Twins, which lasted longer than I had previously thought. 

• Headwear - while not an unusual sight, for these uniforms, they're a reversal of what was worn in 1985
  • Jersey - went red in a pretty blue heavy division
  • Pants - while the image shows the powder blue uniforms, the white pants from the same era remain unchanged

And a quick update: 

Jp0hRYn.png

Slight change to the jersey gradient 

C&C welcome!

• Like 8

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - AL Central

Finishing up our stint in the American League: 

ZoX2Gzp.png

Houston Astros* - 1965+1975 - This might be better categorized as a Mixtape uniform, but I brought two of the Astros' earliest eras together on one uniform.

• Headwear - nothing fancy, but an orange hat, a reversal of the 1965 hat
  • Jersey - navy base, with the shooting star wordmark, now featuring a shooting sunrise(?). Also, to feature the Tequila Sunrise and the font that came with the jersey, the circle + number design is on the back, with the TqS stripes contained in the circle. 
  • Pants - nothing fancy at all, all white. Stirrups have the star on the side. 

9IgyVrn.png

Los Angeles Angels - 1978 - The Angels go back to their California Angels days, and add a splash from the Disney Angels days. 

• Headwear - periwinkle replaces navy on the hats, but things remain pretty much the same from there. 
  • Jersey - much like the hat, white is replaced by periwinkle
  • Pants - the pants see the most change, with the navy elements being completely replaced with periwinkle 

qWAanuh.png

Oakland Athletics - 1968 - I could have sworn the A's wore this jersey style in all green, but enough internet searching proved I was wrong on that matter. 

• Headwear - a first for the A's, all-yellow hat and helmet. Both with the green A .
  • Jersey - sleeveless green jersey w/yellow sleeves. 
  • Pants - green with the same stripes as the jersey 

QsGpBEx.png

Seattle Mariners - 1984 - Possibly my second favorite of the Mariners' identities gets a different take here. 

• Headwear - all teal, for the first time, with the Flying Trident logo on the fronts
  • Jersey - teal pullover, with the racing stripes and all that 80's charm that comes with it
  • Pants - teal and navy take over for the blue and yellow. 

lvFk9Mq.png

Texas Rangers - 1972 - Our final AL entry, just happens to be celebrating their 50th anniversary this season, which coincides with the uniform I chose for them. 

• Headwear - red and blue for the Rangers, with a big white T on the fronts. 
  • Jersey - red jersey, as Texas went with a blue jersey long before they went for a red one. 
  • Pants - no change from the originals. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 9
  • Love 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - AL West
24 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

QsGpBEx.png

Seattle Mariners - 1984 - Possibly my second favorite of the Mariners' identities gets a different take here. 

• Headwear - all teal, for the first time, with the Flying Trident logo on the fronts
  • Jersey - teal pullover, with the racing stripes and all that 80's charm that comes with it
  • Pants - teal and navy take over for the blue and yellow. 

I've never been a fan of the old Mariners look mainly because of the colors, but seeing if with the current colors is beautiful

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

We begin our journey into the NL where we started in the AL, in the East:

ETyVSYk.png

Atlanta Braves - 1975 - No debate on where I was gonna go for Atlanta. 

• Headwear - easy flip, blue becomes red on the hat, logo goes reverse as well
  • Jersey - red version of the blue feather uniforms
  • Pants - only change is the red belt. 

Xkb4CPA.png

Miami Marlins - 1997 - Back to the Florida Marlins days and the glorious return of teal

• Headwear - all teal once again for the Marlins
  • Jersey - teal version of the pinstripes
  • Pants - just like Atlanta, just a new belt 

6B7bbPx.png

New York Mets - 1986 - Once Upon A Time in an Alternate Queens, the Mets eschew black and opt for an orange uniform finally 

• Headwear - all orange with blue NY logo
  • Jersey - orange version of the 86 racing stripes
  • Pants - a new creation, the color order of the pants flips to match the jersey 

eAqQDf2.png

Philadelphia Phillies - 1922 - We go back to the Roaring 20's for the Phillies and along the trip, bring some of the 70's with us 

• Headwear - burgundy cap with two small stripes, which comes from the 1910's, which had more life than just a blank cap 
  • Jersey - cream with burgundy pinstripes, modern P logo on the chest within a circle
  • Pants - cream with burgundy pins

qhlBBEQ.png

Washington Nationals - 1981 Expos - The Nats honor their previous life in the MLB, opting for a uniform reminiscent of their days above the border. 

• Headwear - tricolor hat, this time with the curly W on the front
  • Jersey - powder blue jersey, done in the style of the current alternate, with some Expos touches
  • Pants - powder blue with a simple two color stripe down the side 

C&C welcome!

• Like 9

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - NL East
On 4/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, colinturner95 said:

We begin our journey into the NL where we started in the AL, in the East:

ETyVSYk.png

Atlanta Braves - 1975 - No debate on where I was gonna go for Atlanta. 

• Headwear - easy flip, blue becomes red on the hat, logo goes reverse as well
  • Jersey - red version of the blue feather uniforms
  • Pants - only change is the red belt. 

Xkb4CPA.png

Miami Marlins - 1997 - Back to the Florida Marlins days and the glorious return of teal

• Headwear - all teal once again for the Marlins
  • Jersey - teal version of the pinstripes
  • Pants - just like Atlanta, just a new belt 

6B7bbPx.png

New York Mets - 1986 - Once Upon A Time in an Alternate Queens, the Mets eschew black and opt for an orange uniform finally 

• Headwear - all orange with blue NY logo
  • Jersey - orange version of the 86 racing stripes
  • Pants - a new creation, the color order of the pants flips to match the jersey 

eAqQDf2.png

Philadelphia Phillies - 1922 - We go back to the Roaring 20's for the Phillies and along the trip, bring some of the 70's with us 

• Headwear - burgundy cap with two small stripes, which comes from the 1910's, which had more life than just a blank cap 
  • Jersey - cream with burgundy pinstripes, modern P logo on the chest within a circle
  • Pants - cream with burgundy pins

qhlBBEQ.png

Washington Nationals - 1981 Expos - The Nats honor their previous life in the MLB, opting for a uniform reminiscent of their days above the border. 

• Headwear - tricolor hat, this time with the curly W on the front
  • Jersey - powder blue jersey, done in the style of the current alternate, with some Expos touches
  • Pants - powder blue with a simple two color stripe down the side 

C&C welcome!

I would say that, for the Marlins, you should probably get rid of the pinstripes on the jersey and keep them just on the pants. Aside from that, fantastic. Every division rocks. I love the one for the Phillies especially. 

• Like 1

X9oS99U.png

Chicago Cubs - 1918 - The Cubs go back a 100+ years, to 1918 (when apparently it has been suggested the Cubs threw that World Series, a year before their city mates got caught doing it. Don't know, it was popping up while I was working on these, definitely worth checking out if you're interested). 

• Headwear - the headgear changes the most, eschewing the pinstriped hat in favor of a blue and white hat with the logo from the road uniforms of the era
  • Jersey - Cubs blue with white pinstripes with arched CUBS on the chest 
  • Pants - same as the jerseys. Socks stay basically the same. 

ncHEoqE.png

Cincinnati Reds - 1956 - The Reds really put their name into these uniforms, with an inverted version of the jerseys Yasiel Puig made look pretty fantastic.

• Headgear - all white, red wishbone C
  • Jersey - sleeveless red top, white sleeves optional. Number and mustachioed baseball on the chest 
  • Pants - red with the stripe down the side. Stirrups have stripes and a lot of them

X4zxdA8.png

Milwaukee Brewers - 1978 - I can't believe that this jersey hasn't existed at any point. This jersey just looks too good. 

• Headgear - nothing changes from 1978. 
  • Jersey - same old pullovers, this time, no powder blue and a yellow base 
  • Pants - went back to the pre-1978 white pants 

CswofK1.png

Pittsburgh Pirates - 1934 - As a result of this project, I learned that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh don't play in the same division. Can you tell I don't pay a whole lot of attention to baseball outside of how bad Seattle has been? 

• Headgear - blue and red from this era go away in favor of the current colors, and in this case, the hat goes full gold with the era appropriate P logo 
  • Jersey - black, with a fairly simple design, placket piping, with a double stripe around the sleeves. 
  • Pants - black with the same double stripe. 

JpPGKuw.png

St. Louis Cardinals - 1926 - The Cards have done things pretty simply so the Reverse Retro keeps that pretty well in mind.

• Headgear - red & cream hat with the sleeve logo from the home uniforms of the era on the front 
  • Jersey - red with simple stripe on the sleeves, era appropriate Birds on Bat wordmark on the chest 
  • Pants - cream with a simple stripe down the side. Stirrups with a Northwestern stripe on them 

C&C welcome!

On 4/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, MCM0313 said:

I would say that, for the Marlins, you should probably get rid of the pinstripes on the jersey and keep them just on the pants. Aside from that, fantastic. Every division rocks. I love the one for the Phillies especially. 

O5viPFi.png

I could have sworn the Marlins had a teal jersey from this era, hence the pinstripes, but I guess I was very wrong on that 

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - NL Central
5 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

X9oS99U.png

Chicago Cubs - 1918 - The Cubs go back a 100+ years, to 1918 (when apparently it has been suggested the Cubs threw that World Series, a year before their city mates got caught doing it. Don't know, it was popping up while I was working on these, definitely worth checking out if you're interested). 

• Headwear - the headgear changes the most, eschewing the pinstriped hat in favor of a blue and white hat with the logo from the road uniforms of the era
  • Jersey - Cubs blue with white pinstripes with arched CUBS on the chest 
  • Pants - same as the jerseys. Socks stay basically the same. 

ncHEoqE.png

Cincinnati Reds - 1956 - The Reds really put their name into these uniforms, with an inverted version of the jerseys Yasiel Puig made look pretty fantastic.

• Headgear - all white, red wishbone C
  • Jersey - sleeveless red top, white sleeves optional. Number and mustachioed baseball on the chest 
  • Pants - red with the stripe down the side. Stirrups have stripes and a lot of them

X4zxdA8.png

Milwaukee Brewers - 1978 - I can't believe that this jersey hasn't existed at any point. This jersey just looks too good. 

• Headgear - nothing changes from 1978. 
  • Jersey - same old pullovers, this time, no powder blue and a yellow base 
  • Pants - went back to the pre-1978 white pants 

CswofK1.png

Pittsburgh Pirates - 1934 - As a result of this project, I learned that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh don't play in the same division. Can you tell I don't pay a whole lot of attention to baseball outside of how bad Seattle has been? 

• Headgear - blue and red from this era go away in favor of the current colors, and in this case, the hat goes full gold with the era appropriate P logo 
  • Jersey - black, with a fairly simple design, placket piping, with a double stripe around the sleeves. 
  • Pants - black with the same double stripe. 

JpPGKuw.png

St. Louis Cardinals - 1926 - The Cards have done things pretty simply so the Reverse Retro keeps that pretty well in mind.

• Headgear - red & cream hat with the sleeve logo from the home uniforms of the era on the front 
  • Jersey - red with simple stripe on the sleeves, era appropriate Birds on Bat wordmark on the chest 
  • Pants - cream with a simple stripe down the side. Stirrups with a Northwestern stripe on them 

C&C welcome!

O5viPFi.png

I could have sworn the Marlins had a teal jersey from this era, hence the pinstripes, but I guess I was very wrong on that 

They had teal BP/spring training jerseys, but they were never worn in the regular season or playoffs. Closest they got was a vest-style with teal sleeves. 

• Like 1

Our final movement in the third act starts now: 

ZdBUpYS.png

Arizona Diamondbacks - 2001 - Surprisingly, this wasn't the first idea I was gonna go with, but I liked it a strange amount and rolled with it. 

• Headgear - all red hat with the A logo on the chest
  • Jersey - sand sleeveless top with red undershirt, black pinstripes. 
  • Pants - sand with black pins

2AgjKk3.png

Colorado Rockies - Denver Bears - The Rockies are still wearing close to their original uniforms, so we look to an old AAA team in the Denver area for the Rockies

• Headwear - purple/black with a CR monogram on the fronts
  • Jersey - purple pullover with white and black stripes on the sleeves. Vintage style Rockies wordmark on the chest
  • Pants - faux elastic pants with the same stripes down the side 

ONoFlNa.png

LA Dodgers - 1910 Brooklyn - The Dodgers took things way back to the early 20th century. And I mean way back 

• Headwear - white/blue with an LA monogram in a similar font to the Brooklyn B
  • Jersey - blue with Los Angeles vertically down the placket, flanked by smaller stripes 
  • Pants - plain blue pants, white socks with a double stripe

7GQYpIu.png

San Diego Padres - 1983 - I wasn't quite sure how to approach SD. They've had a bevy of uniforms in a bevy of colors and that made things difficult to decide, even almost leading to a very different approach (more on that later) 

• Headwear - exact style as 1983. 
  • Jersey - yellow replaces white in most cases 
  • Pants - see jersey 

vleI66r.png

San Diego Padres - 1985 Prototype - This is your different approach I mentioned, reversing a uniform that never saw the field of play:

• Headwear - like the image says, a lot of guesswork but a current brown hat, with a Crillee-font SD monogram
  • Jersey - three color stripes down the shoulders, two color collars
  • Pants - sand faux elastic, same stripes down the side 

kCFTqk0.png

San Francisco Giants - 1905 New York - so as Brooklyn goes, so too goes New York. The Giants took things back even further than their then former and still current state-mates

• Headwear - hats work with stripes across the front, helmet as the same SF on the front of the jerseys
  • Jerseys - orange with SF letters on the front in the current wordmarks style
  • Pants - blank orange, black socks. 

Well guys, we made it to the ... wait, is that Meek Mill? 

Finished GIF

I've had a lot of fun with this series that we're gonna have an encore: yep, the league that started it all, the NHL will round us out here. The only thing different? I can't reuse the same uniforms Adidas did for the first round. 

C&C Welcome! NHL to follow shortly!!

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Is there a .PSD template for this?

Not currently and not anytime in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to A Play-In 3 Acts: Reverse Retros For All! MLB - NL West

I almost hesitate to mention this since I REALLY love both of your Padres uniforms. But your Rockies uniforms made me realize all of these markets were in the Pacific Coast League at one point, and I'll bet you could come up with some phenomenal designs such as the Dodgers as the Hollywood Stars or the Giants as the San Francisco Seals. Or taking a classic PCL Padres uniform and slapping on the flamboyant colors the MLB Padres are known for. 

Also, long live the Phoenix Firebirds. That was one of the coolest MiLB names ever.I'll bet they'd look awesome in purple & teal. Or, since the Diamondbacks represent all of Arizona, you could look into some of the Tucson teams. You could go with an old Sidewinders uniform if you wanted to keep the snake theme. Or... you could put your spin on these notorious doozys....

spacer.png

I think you outdid yourself again with the NL West! I really like what you did with all five teams. I do have a few suggestions:

Rockies - The Bears mashup is really fun but the "c" in the cap logo is not really reading as one. I'm also curious how it would look if you replaced black with silver. 

Padres - I prefer the prototype design but I'd swap out gold for orange. 

Giants - The angled "S" and "F" look awkward so I'd straighten them out. 

• Like 1