USFL redo

MJWalker45

So I saw the new uniforms and while I liked a few of them I decided to take a shot at upgrading them somewhat.  For starters, I went with the Michigan Panthers.

Michigan Panthers

I liked their look the best out of all of the teams but I wanted to make a few changes. For the number font I went with Morington. I choose that because it was a slimmer font that I think a team named Panthers would embrace. I changed the sleeve stripe to take the lead from, as well as integrate, the secondary logo that was released previously. 

fGG8sBA.jpg

8suL1Zu.jpg

Tampa Bay Bandits 

First thing I wanted to get rid of was that side paneling. It's not the year 2000 anymore, so why keep going to it? I liked their original look, but instead of having the rider above the striping pattern I placed them over it, since that's what would probably happen eventually in real life were they to continue on since 1985. I also wanted to go with a red facemask instead of black or grey. For the numbers I went with Kansas, since it's a western style number that works well on football uniforms. 

BYBf9W2.jpg

KAh8AKw.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, BengalErnst said:

These are both clean. I hope you’re deciding to do the other six as well. I didn’t mind the use of only the head in the sleeve for the bandits but I do like that you went above instead of over 

The plan is to do all 8. I actually have most of them done. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Pittsburgh Maulers 

I actually liked the idea of the yoke design, but it looked too much like the Frankfurt Galaxy from 2004. Originally I went with grey numbers and pants but decided to go with white instead. I didn't like that huge purple stripe on the pants so I chose a purple stripe with two outer orange stripes. 

cD50kCT.jpg

zbxCVdy.jpg

tPv4F1x.jpg

TMGK5fN.jpg

Birmingham Stallions

@infrared41pointed out that Birmingham looked like Boston College and I agree. Even adding stripes to the uniforms, it still gives that vibe but I wanted to do something other than just leave the stallions head on the sleeve.  Pant stripes are white/red/white. 

@the_grateful_tedI may go back and look at adding stripes to the socks, but I hadn't planned on doing that since that seems to be a lost art now. 

• Like 7
  • Meh 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Very nice job all the way around.

The Birmingham road uniform with No. 22 screams this . . . which isn't a bad thing.

spacer.png

As for the others:

Panthers -- I can't think of any criticisms.

Bandits -- I like everything but the numbers.  The font is definitely Western looking, but it doesn't generally work for me as a football number font . . . even for a team named the Bandits.

Maulers -- The shoulder stripe/yoke looks a little busy to me for some reason.  Maybe its the extra orange stripe on the bottom.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Very nice job all the way around.

The Birmingham road uniform with No. 22 screams this . . . which isn't a bad thing.

spacer.png

Yeah, I think the other option, without stripes would have looked like the Matt Ryan era Eagles. I also don't like the Stallions decision to go with white pants in real life. It just doesn't fit in my opinion. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/23/2022 at 10:00 AM, leopard88 said:

Bandits -- I like everything but the numbers.  The font is definitely Western looking, but it doesn't generally work for me as a football number font . . . even for a team named the Bandits.

UmcteuW.png

Used some of the templates that Gridiron came up with to show of the pant stripes a little better. I used North Block for this instead of Staubach because I didn't want a straight up older number look. I also ditched the white on the pant stripes to further separate them from Ohio State. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That works better.  It seems more footballish to me (if I can make up a word).

I also really like the updated stripe pattern.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

New Orleans Breakers

With the breakers I took the wave and used it as the yoke. Originally I's just placed it on the sleeves but other than going with the grey helmet it looked pretty much the same. The secondary logo is placed on the sleeves. 

3tFf3Hf.jpg

fHB64qv.jpg

Houston Gamblers

Houston gets two pairs of pants, which does give them Oklahoma Outlaw vibes as well but I liked the idea of going all in on black without going with a monochrome look.

p1HfuBW.jpg

R1G7sM5.jpg

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

To close out the series, here's the Stars and the Generals.

Philadelphia Stars

For the Stars I had to get rid of that bumblebee striping on the uniforms and I also added the bell logo, because it's way better than just aslapping numbers on the sleeves.

6eVaJbw.jpg

6lMjBtR.jpg

New Jersey Generals

I really didn't do too much with this, other than taking the stars off of the shoulders and placing the logo on the front instead. I used the Boston Bruins font to bring back a semblance of the old Champion font that was used by most of the league in the 1980's. 

8VfLEWh.jpg

zanf0dj.jpg

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:19 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Pittsburgh Maulers 

I actually liked the idea of the yoke design, but it looked too much like the Frankfurt Galaxy from 2004. Originally I went with grey numbers and pants but decided to go with white instead. I didn't like that huge purple stripe on the pants so I chose a purple stripe with two outer orange stripes. 

cD50kCT.jpg

zbxCVdy.jpg

These are definitely better than what they actually have but not digging the shoulder yokes at all.  For me, shoulder yokes being different colors or having anything other than tv numbers or the team logo is the same for folks who hate color-contrast side panels.

Drop the stripes on the shoulders, make the pants gray like the originals and this would be one of my all-time favorites!

On 2/22/2022 at 11:17 AM, MJWalker45 said:

So I saw the new uniforms and while I liked a few of them I decided to take a shot at upgrading them somewhat.  For starters, I went with the Michigan Panthers.

Michigan Panthers

I liked their look the best out of all of the teams but I wanted to make a few changes. For the number font I went with Morington. I choose that because it was a slimmer font that I think a team named Panthers would embrace. I changed the sleeve stripe to take the lead from, as well as integrate, the secondary logo that was released previously. 

fGG8sBA.jpg

8suL1Zu.jpg

These are absolutely fantastic!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

enC27qP.pngIjywg1K.png

fMr6kD1.pngbtECAO9.png

2dpDXSI.png

I started importing some of the uniforms into Madden 20. I'll have to go back and work a bit more on that Breakers helmet.  I also decided to place them in separate stadiums rather than picking a stadium for the whole league to play in. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png