Business Owner’s Video Goes Viral After He Shows What $250 For A Logo Got Him From A ‘Professional’ Designer Who Tried To Swindle Him

leopard88

I thought this might be of interest to the designers here.  I'm also curious to know everyone's take.

https://www.boredpanda.com/guy-gets-scammed-250-dollar-logo-design-arial-font/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not that I'm a fan of Arial, but just because it's a cheap or default typeface doesn't automatically make it a garbage design. All depends on how it's being used, customized, and what the rest of the identity set looks like.

In this case, it does look lazy and cheap. But this could have been laid out in Helvetica and it wouldn't have looked any different.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 2/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Bruhammydude said:

Funny thing is that the original Arial font logo is something I could genuinely see on some dumb expensive clothing brand.

Absolutely. That Supreme garbage is literally just Futura in a red rectangle and people spend thousands on it. Makes no sense to me.

No you guys don't understand, without three years of lead time the designer was really scrambling to get this thing put together, the economics of design are very complicated. Also please don't be dreadfully plebian by calling it boring or lazy, it's terribly low brow and uncultured language.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

No you guys don't understand, without three years of lead time the designer was really scrambling to get this thing put together, the economics of design are very complicated. Also please don't be dreadfully plebian by calling it boring or lazy, it's terribly low brow and uncultured language.

If you don’t understand the difference between simply making a logo for a small business, and designing a jersey where you have deadlines to meet to be able to produce a world wide supply of them, and because of that you are put into a box of templates that are available to use. I don’t know what to tell you

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Bruhammydude said:

Funny thing is that the original Arial font logo is something I could genuinely see on some dumb expensive clothing brand.

I'm looking at you, Supreme.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 3/5/2022 at 12:33 PM, dont care said:

If you don’t understand the difference between simply making a logo for a small business, and designing a jersey where you have deadlines to meet to be able to produce a world wide supply of them, and because of that you are put into a box of templates that are available to use. I don’t know what to tell you

woosh

Not gonna lie, this situation feels extremely ripe for a scam (not saying that's what this guy did).

Type in a your company name in a simple font, do a quick fake email chain, say you paid a large sum of money, and then post about it on social media. If people are outraged enough by the situation, they might provide their own ideas for free and boom, you've got yourself a new logo, or the very least received a number proposals that would cost considerably more designed by a professional.

Hell, billion dollar organizations already do this regularly aside from the fake email chain part.

(again, not saying this guy did it, more the fact that it would be easy to fake)

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived