United Plates of America (CANADA FINALE!)

TheGiantsFan

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

FOZwL2WVkAIwZLM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My District of Columbia license plate is inspired by DC plate history and federal imagery. The layout combines the off-center design of DC’s 2016 low-number plates with the embossed Capitol dome of DC’s 1976 plates. The stripes are inspired by both the DC flag and the American flag, and the stylized “DC” in the middle ofthe plate is inspired by typography on dollar bills.

• Like 7

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (10/56 District of Columbia)
On 3/17/2022 at 5:13 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

Thank you very much! :)

I know it's cliche for any Maryland concept, but it's gonna have to have the flag somehow because it's just so cool! 😅 Regardless, is there anything you would like to see on a Maryland plate (I have yet to do any research for that because it's still a while away); I would love to incorporate your suggestions!

The only thing Marylanders love more than their flag is Old Bay seasoning.

If you're taking suggestions, I'm all for getting away from America's Dairyland for Wisconsin.  It's a dying industry that fewer than 5% of Wisconsin even works in anymore.

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

The only thing Marylanders love more than their flag is Old Bay seasoning.

If you're taking suggestions, I'm all for getting away from America's Dairyland for Wisconsin.  It's a dying industry that fewer than 5% of Wisconsin even works in anymore.

I'll definitely keep that in mind for Wisconsin at the very end of the series! :)

Do you have any local suggestions about what you would like to see on a Wisconsin (Illinois suggestions would be cool too!) license plate? That would be appreciated if you have any!

---

FLORIDA

FOfVE9KUYAMRubr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My colorful Florida license plate depicts a beachside sunset scene. Referencing Florida’s “Sunshine State” nickname and famous citrus industry, an orange slice sun is featured in the middle of the design. The font choice is inspired by the short-lived Miami Floridians basketball team of the late 1960s. The formerly embossed county names return as county stickers.

Also, shoutout to @raysox for suggesting a beachside sunset design for this license plate! :)

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Applause 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (11/56 Florida)
1 hour ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I'll definitely keep that in mind for Wisconsin at the very end of the series! :)

Do you have any local suggestions about what you would like to see on a Wisconsin (Illinois suggestions would be cool too!) license plate? That would be appreciated if you have any!

---

For Illinois, I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel too much since all the elements (Lincoln, Chicago skyline) are already there. Although instead of the state capitol (oh, you have a dome like every other state!), use Monk's Mound if you feel inclined to represent Southern Illinois with a landmark. I was always a fan of the old New York plates that reacted to the criticism of the Statue of Liberty being too NYC-centric by having the NYC skyline on one side and Niagara Falls on the other.

For Wisconsin, I would recommend using the state motto "Forward" in place of "America's Dairyland." I would love a plate based on the Milwaukee Art Museum. They rejected the idea for the state quarter claiming (surprise, surprise) it was too Milwaukee-centric, then made it a tribute to the dairy industry when almost 20% of Wisconsin lives in Milwaukee County and a small fraction of that amount works in dairy. If you wanted to work around this, maybe do the New York idea, but have the Apostle Islands on one side to represent Lake Superior and the MAM or some image of the Milwaukee lakefront to represent Lake Michigan.

Otherwise, maybe a depiction of a whitetail deer in its natural habitat. It's the "other" official state animal for Wisconsin, but it says "Wisconsin" to me more than the badger does. I would just hope that if you went this route, you'd go with a dark green and cream color scheme because #FearTheDeer. 😁

On 3/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

You're right that it needs slightly more contrast; here's a darkened version of the dark brown for you!

Reveal hidden contents

51945104565_a7dbe5d52d_o.png

Ooh, thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can do for you once I reach Maryland! :)

---

DELAWARE

FOJzmhvVQAAINsY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Delaware has maintained a consistent look for its license plates since 1962, so my license plate redesign is a simple modernization of the state’s classic design. The sans-serif “DELAWARE” font is replaced by a script inspired by the iconic Dolles sign* (dismantled in 2021) in Rehoboth Beach. Delaware’s “Small Wonder” slogan replaces “The First State”, and a blue gradient brightens up the design.

*Suggested to me by a coworker who happens to be a Delaware native!

Good execution on the Delaware plate. The script and gradients are on point. The only suggestion is changing the travel slogan from "Small Wonder" to "Endless Discoveries" since the State retired the "Small Wonder" slogan about 7 years ago even though it was slowly being phased out since 2001.

20 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

---

FLORIDA

FOfVE9KUYAMRubr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My colorful Florida license plate depicts a beachside sunset scene. Referencing Florida’s “Sunshine State” nickname and famous citrus industry, an orange slice sun is featured in the middle of the design. The font choice is inspired by the short-lived Miami Floridians basketball team of the late 1960s. The formerly embossed county names return as county stickers.

Also, shoutout to @raysox for suggesting a beachside sunset design for this license plate! :)

Great job on this one. Fits Florida really well, and looks better than the current one to boot.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

I decided to finally look up what "myflorida.com" is. I assumed it was a tourism website, which wouldn't be the worst thing considering how many Florida license plates spend summers in other states. It's just a janky, bare-bones site for generic state government. Get that damn thing off the license plates.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 6:10 PM, NicDB said:

For Illinois, I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel too much since all the elements (Lincoln, Chicago skyline) are already there. Although instead of the state capitol (oh, you have a dome like every other state!), use Monk's Mound if you feel inclined to represent Southern Illinois with a landmark. I was always a fan of the old New York plates that reacted to the criticism of the Statue of Liberty being too NYC-centric by having the NYC skyline on one side and Niagara Falls on the other.

For Wisconsin, I would recommend using the state motto "Forward" in place of "America's Dairyland." I would love a plate based on the Milwaukee Art Museum. They rejected the idea for the state quarter claiming (surprise, surprise) it was too Milwaukee-centric, then made it a tribute to the dairy industry when almost 20% of Wisconsin lives in Milwaukee County and a small fraction of that amount works in dairy. If you wanted to work around this, maybe do the New York idea, but have the Apostle Islands on one side to represent Lake Superior and the MAM or some image of the Milwaukee lakefront to represent Lake Michigan.

Otherwise, maybe a depiction of a whitetail deer in its natural habitat. It's the "other" official state animal for Wisconsin, but it says "Wisconsin" to me more than the badger does. I would just hope that if you went this route, you'd go with a dark green and cream color scheme because #FearTheDeer. 😁

Those are extremely helpful suggestions, thank you very much! :)

I actually think it would be a very good idea to complement the "Forward" motto with an image of the Milwaukee Art Museum, so I'll lean more into that direction. Maybe the deer and Bucks colors would come after that!

On 3/23/2022 at 5:18 AM, BrySmalls said:

Good execution on the Delaware plate. The script and gradients are on point. The only suggestion is changing the travel slogan from "Small Wonder" to "Endless Discoveries" since the State retired the "Small Wonder" slogan about 7 years ago even though it was slowly being phased out since 2001.

Glad you liked Delaware's plates! Just for you, here's a version of that plate with the "Endless Discoveries" slogan:

Spoiler

51959343489_3d161842bf_o.png

On 3/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Now that I think about it, a plate mimicking the Old Bay container would be incredible

Spoiler

spacer.png

I think that Old Bay packaging would make for a really cool layout on the Maryland plates, and I'll see what I can play around with there! :)

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I decided to finally look up what "myflorida.com" is. I assumed it was a tourism website, which wouldn't be the worst thing considering how many Florida license plates spend summers in other states. It's just a janky, bare-bones site for generic state government. Get that damn thing off the license plates.

I thought that it would be a tourism site as well, and I was unpleasantly surprised to see what it actually was. It reminds me of the very odd decision to give California license plates the DMV website instead of the tourism website 🤔

---

GEORGIA

FOpS6zYVQBw4qf7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I'll admit I got a little stuck with this one, but here goes!

My Georgia design is a modernized version of the peach gradient license plates that the state issued from 1989 to 1996. The background features a whale shark pattern (the Georgia Aquarium is the only place to find whale sharks in captivity outside of Asia) that turns into the texture of peanut shells (another widespread crop grown in Georgia).

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (12/56 Georgia)
On 3/24/2022 at 3:10 PM, NicDB said:

Love the peanut shell for Georgia! I would kind of want the peach and state outline to swap places, but even as is, you have a massive upgrade.

Thank you very much! :)

I did consider using the peach as the divider instead of the state, but putting the peach as the tittle on the "I" was some low-hanging fruit 😅

On 3/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, GriffinM6 said:

As a Georgia resident, I'm loving this. I think it would go over very well if the change were to happen in real life. 

Thank you so much, and I'm glad that a Georgia resident approves of this! :)

On 3/25/2022 at 7:38 AM, BrySmalls said:

GIF by FOX International Channels

Thanks! :)

On 3/28/2022 at 11:22 AM, Moseph said:

Man, this is a great series! So far, my favorite plates have been Alaska, Delaware, and DC,  but they are all very well done.

I'm glad you like it so far! :)

---

Work's been busy the past few days, but here's the next design!

GUAM

FPDMGFNUcAYl_Qs?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My design for Guam takes the current plate’s color scheme and gives it the Kansas license plate treatment with Guam’s territorial seal. The beach landscape in the seal continues outside of the seal across the rest of the license plate, with the palm tree and the Chamorro sakman boat redrawn with more detail. A more accurate Chamorro translation of the slogan (which means “Land of the CHamoru” is at the bottom of the plate.

• Like 6
  • WOAH 1

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (13/56 Guam)

Super excited about this next one!

---

HAWAI'I

51973087827_d168637a0a_o.png

The template for my series of Hawaii license plates is my 2019 Snapchat Geofilter design for the island of O’ahu, where a map of the Hawaiian archipelago is depicted a series of hibiscus flowers (the Hawaiian state flower). Each island’s license plate features a unique base color, and a darker-colored hibiscus denotes the island’s location in the state. A modified version of Hawaii’s tourism logo is proudly displayed at the top of the plate. 

The color schemes of each island’s license plates reflects the bright colors of Hawaii’s landscape and flora. The light red for O’ahu and the pink for Moloka’i are taken from the colors of hibiscus flowers. The explosive volcanoes of Hawai’i are the inspiration for that island’s orange color. The green for Kaua’i is taken from the island’s lush green rainforests, and the turquoise for Maui is inspired by the Pacific Ocean. The Pineapple Isle of Lana’i naturally gets a golden yellow color. Lastly, the 190 residents of Ni’ihau have a faded gray color to signify its isolation from the rest of the state.
  • Like 7
  • Love 8
  • Applause 5

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (14/56 Hawaii)
On 3/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, GriffinM6 said:

Wow, this is probably the best one yet. The idea to make a unique plate and emphasize each island on a flower is absolutely brilliant. It's gonna be hard to top this. 

Thank you so much!

I was definitely looking forward to getting to Hawaii once I started this series, so I'm glad that it's one of your favorites so far! :)

On 4/1/2022 at 5:54 PM, panthers_2012 said:

Damn, that's brutal. 

Awesome job with these! Cant wait to see the rest!

Ni'ihau an island that's not even open to the public, so it's not like isolation is something they're unfamiliar with 😅

Glad you liked it! :)

On 4/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, Eastport76 said:

The Hawaii ones are a home run. 

Thanks so much! :)

---

IDAHO 2.0

FfjESP7aAAAVctK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

After at least three different comments about how my first Idaho redesign looked more like a Montana plate, so revamping my Idaho redesign was inevitable. However, I kept on pushing this one back due to extreme creative block for Idaho, as there was really nothing going for this state at all. :/ 

This new redesign for Idaho’s license plate is inspired by the various green-on-white license plates used between 1968 and 1991. The wordmark features an “h” in the shape of Idaho, and the serial divider is a reference to Idaho’s “Gem State” nickname (first suggested by @BrySmalls). As a nod to the state’s famous potatoes, a mountain landscape is depicted using French fries.

IDAHO 1.0

Spoiler

FPiLAx3VIAYj_PZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I'll admit that I actually had a very difficult time making Idaho's license plates. The current license plates encapsulate the mostly rural and mountainous state pretty well, and any attempt to recreate these 1928 potato plates was thwarted by a potato that looked like a turd :/ . I also wanted to stay away from using brown because I'll be reserving that color for neighboring Wyoming at the very end of the series. Ultimately, I decided to keep it simple just so that I can move on to the next state

This Idaho license plate redesign is inspired by the various green-on-white license plates used between 1968 and 1991, as well as the white-on-black Idaho state highway signs used until 2020. As a nod to the state’s famous potatoes, a mountain landscape is depicted using French fries.

Edited by TheGiantsFan
New revamped design
  • Like 5

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (15/56 Idaho)

I'll be honest, this is probably the weakest one so far. Disregarding the colors, it's way too similar to Montana's current plate. 

License Plates - Montana Department of Justice

I'm not sure what other direction you could take this, since I don't know too much else about Idaho, but this could definitely use some improvement. 

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png