United Plates of America (CANADA FINALE!)

TheGiantsFan

On 4/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, GriffinM6 said:

I'll be honest, this is probably the weakest one so far. Disregarding the colors, it's way too similar to Montana's current plate. 

License Plates - Montana Department of Justice

I'm not sure what other direction you could take this, since I don't know too much else about Idaho, but this could definitely use some improvement. 

I completely agree with everything you mentioned here!

It is definitely one of my weaker designs simply because I was so stuck on it (this state frankly doesn't have too many distinctive factors) and wanted to move on. I also definitely got huge Montana vibes out of this design, so I agree with you there as well :/

---

ILLINOIS

FPw1SqFVUAM9fob?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The overall design of this license plate is inspired by the geometric Prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright, whose studio was in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park. The top half of the design represents the Chicago metro, with an “Illinois” wordmark (similar to the 1983-2001 plates) evoking skyscrapers against a windy Lake Michigan. Central Illinois is represented with the diamond tile pattern on the State Capitol grounds. Southern Illinois is represented with Monks Mound (suggested by @NicDB), the largest pre-colonial pyramid in North America, in the ruins of ancient Cahokia.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (16/56 Illinois)
On 4/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

IDAHO

FPiLAx3VIAYj_PZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I'll admit that I actually had a very difficult time making Idaho's license plates. The current license plates encapsulate the mostly rural and mountainous state pretty well, and any attempt to recreate these 1928 potato plates was thwarted by a potato that looked like a turd :/ . I also wanted to stay away from using brown because I'll be reserving that color for neighboring Wyoming at the very end of the series. Ultimately, I decided to keep it simple just so that I can move on to the next state

This Idaho license plate redesign is inspired by the various green-on-white license plates used between 1968 and 1991, as well as the white-on-black Idaho state highway signs used until 2020. As a nod to the state’s famous potatoes, a mountain landscape is depicted using French fries.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:17 PM, GriffinM6 said:

I'll be honest, this is probably the weakest one so far. Disregarding the colors, it's way too similar to Montana's current plate. 

License Plates - Montana Department of Justice

I'm not sure what other direction you could take this, since I don't know too much else about Idaho, but this could definitely use some improvement. 

52 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I completely agree with everything you mentioned here!

It is definitely one of my weaker designs simply because I was so stuck on it (this state frankly doesn't have too many distinctive factors) and wanted to move on. I also definitely got huge Montana vibes out of this design, so I agree with you there as well :/

---

Idaho is a golden opportunity to pivot from potatoes and mountains to create new license plates based on their other state symbols.

Their state amphibian, gem, flower, or horse are good options.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, BrySmalls said:

Idaho is a golden opportunity to pivot from potatoes and mountains to create new license plates based on their other state symbols.

Their state amphibian, gem, flower, or horse are good options.

You are correct there! I did consider going the "Gem State" direction but realized that I had already done something kinda similar with Arkansas' diamond motif. I might consider redoing Idaho down the road, but we shall see!

---

INDIANA

FP24lFmVcAYglyK?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Indiana’s license plate is inspired by the state’s rich automotive racing heritage, first explored by the state’s 1979 license plate design. The bottom of the plate is a checkered flag like the ones flown at the end of the Indianapolis 500 race, and the tall font for “Indiana” is inspired by racecar number fonts. The colors and the torch from the Indiana state flag is featured on the plate. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (17/56 Indiana)
On 4/9/2022 at 6:16 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Indiana is incredible work!

Might just be my favorite so far… until you get to Maryland😏

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked Indiana! :)

---

IOWA

FQLMRHLUcAM3vBt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Iowa license plate is a different interpretation of the current design’s “urban meets rural" motif. Iowa is the largest producer of corn in the United States, so stalks of corn adorn the license plates for the first time. The rural scene turns into an urban skyline with wind turbines and the five domes of the Iowa state capitol.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (18/56 Iowa)

KANSAS

FQQllFpVIAABKUb?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Kansas license plate is a hybrid of various standard and vanity license plates in Kansas’ history. The Kansas state outline used between 1951 and 1980 returns, and the “Sunflower State” nickname shows up on standard plates for the first time. The black-and-yellow color scheme is inspired by Kansas state highway shields, and the sublimated design is inspired by the shapes of crop fields seen throughout the state.

• Like 8

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (19/56 Kansas)

KENTUCKY

FQaEL2wVkAAtv1b?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Following the design rationale behind Chris Payne’s Lexington SC logo, my Kentucky license plate combines visual elements from Kentucky’s horseracing and bourbon heritage. The cream background, border style, and the serif font is inspired by the traditional aesthetic of bourbon labels. The spires of the famed Churchill Downs (last seen in Kentucky’s 1988-1997 plates) return to the top of the license plate.

• Like 6

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (20/56 Kentucky)

Kentucky should have a smidge of blue in there to honor "the bluegrass state" aspect of their identity, IMHO.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 4/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, raysox said:

I came through to bring up how much I love Hawaii, I didn't even notice the flowers highlighting the island they represent.

The last two have been stellar, waaaaaay better than what they have now. Kentucky's is so generic i'm glad you gave them a nice facelift.

Thank you very much! :)

Hawaii has definitely been one of my favorites in this series so far, and I'm glad you appreciate the little details! I'm glad you liked Kentucky too; their newest plates are indeed extremely generic :/

On 4/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, CS85 said:

Kentucky should have a smidge of blue in there to honor "the bluegrass state" aspect of their identity, IMHO.

Most of the time, bluegrass (the grass) is actually more green than blue, but here's a slightly bluer version of the Kentucky plate for you! :)

Spoiler

52015870899_9d53f4afa3_o.png

---

LOUISIANA

FQuBH14UcAEnkeA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

This state has such a rich visual identity, so this was a fun one to make!

My Louisiana license plate is inspired by the ornate architecture found in New Orleans, particularly in the French Quarter. A fleur-de-lis pattern is intertwined with a map of Louisiana, and the plate incorporates the colors of the New Orleans Saints. An embossed pelican divider returns for the first time since 1963, and the serial font has been replaced with the unique serif serial font used on Virginia license plates.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (21/56 Louisiana)

MAINE

FRSwQ4XVIAAa6DX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Maine redesign combines elements of the current forest license plate and the blue-and-red lobster license plates used from 1987 to 1999. Coastal Maine is represented by the Portland Head Light while inland Maine is represented by Mt. Katahdin, the state’s highest point. The “DIRIGO” star from the state flag appears as the serial number divider.

This plate was designed with suggestions from my roommate, who went to UMaine for undergrad!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (22/56 Maine)

Loving this whole series! Incredible work. Very much looking forward to Pennsylvania and Oregon.

Any thought about including a reference to Maine's most famous export, Stephen King, on their plate? A small red balloon floating past the top of the lighthouse perhaps?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Loving this whole series! Incredible work. Very much looking forward to Pennsylvania and Oregon.

Any thought about including a reference to Maine's most famous export, Stephen King, on their plate? A small red balloon floating past the top of the lighthouse perhaps?

I second this idea

20 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:
On 4/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, ZapRowsdower8 said:

I second this idea

That does sound like a pretty cool idea! I'll do a little more research on that and see if I can revise the Maine plate with a subtle Stephen King reference :)

---

MARYLAND

FRclXsSUUAEEKLH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

With a state flag as good-looking as Maryland’s, it was inevitable for it to be included in my license plate redesign! The asymmetrical flag graphic is inspired by the packaging design of Maryland’s popular Old Bay Seasoning (as suggested by @NicDB and @DCarp1231), and the black-and-gold border is taken from Maryland’s state welcome signs

• Like 6
  • Love 4

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (23/56 Maryland)
On 5/2/2022 at 7:57 AM, SpenserRM said:

The Louisiana one is phenomenal. Keep up the beautiful work.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it! :)

8 hours ago, Moseph said:

I love that Kentucky plate, it might be my favorite in the series!

Thanks so much! :)

---

MASSACHUSETTS

FR3HwinVcAIOkzI?format=jpg&name=4096x409

As a pivotal location for American independence, Massachusetts’ license plate is inspired by various patriotic designs from New England and around the country. The overall design is based on the stripes of the American flag, and the middle-top of the license plate is inspired by Revolutionary War uniforms and the Massachusetts state seal.

• Like 8

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (24/56 Massachusetts)

MICHIGAN

FSAiYRgVIAMl9cg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Michigan’s license plate is a simple but bold design inspired by the state’s famous automaking industry.The state map is located inside a circular racing number on top of a Shelby Mustang racing stripe, and the bold industrial font is taken from the logos of Detroit’s auto companies. Waves surround the stripes as a reference to the Great Lakes that surround Michigan.

• Like 7

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (25/56 Michigan)
2 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

MICHIGAN

FSAiYRgVIAMl9cg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Michigan’s license plate is a simple but bold design inspired by the state’s famous automaking industry.The state map is located inside a circular racing number on top of a Shelby Mustang racing stripe, and the bold industrial font is taken from the logos of Detroit’s auto companies. Waves surround the stripes as a reference to the Great Lakes that surround Michigan.

Nice! Earlier this year Michigan brought back the retro dark blue and yellow "Water-Winter Wonderland" plates, a lot of people have ditched the Pure Michigan plate for it.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/02/michigan-license-plate-water-winter-wonderland/8838020002/

On 5/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, Luigi74 said:

Nice! Earlier this year Michigan brought back the retro dark blue and yellow "Water-Winter Wonderland" plates, a lot of people have ditched the Pure Michigan plate for it.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/02/michigan-license-plate-water-winter-wonderland/8838020002/

Thank you very much! :)

That plate was actually the reason I decided to go with the "Water-Winter Wonderland" slogan for these plates, so I'm glad we're on the same page here~

---

MINNESOTA

FSGRnc6VcAINMLQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Inspired by the draft logos for Minnesota United FC, my license plate design features the common loon, which is the Minnesota state bird. The “L'Étoile du Nord” (French for “The North Star”) state motto makes its license plate debut with the North Star appearing above the state name. The calm colors capture the serene feeling of Minnesota’s many lakes and forests.

• Like 8